PDA

View Full Version : What to use to remove built up polish in seams and jambs?

emmjay
08-23-2016, 12:00 AM
Hello all,

I got my car from the body shop after a fender bender and was only doing rinseless washes due to heat for the last two months.

I opened my trunk from the side yesterday instead of head on and to my horror there is caked up compound/polish in many areas which I prob would not have noticed.

What can I use to safely remove it? APC 10:1, WW, RW?

Thank you

Eldorado2k
08-23-2016, 12:02 AM
I'd use either Meguiars M205 or Megs Cleaner Wax.

dcjredline
08-23-2016, 12:12 AM
Huh? Cleaner wax or polish to remove polish build up in the seams?

A brush, tooth brush style brush should get most of it if it is dried. Then maybe an APC on a MF towel to wipe the rest off.

LEDetailing
08-23-2016, 12:29 AM
Meguiar's D114 at a 128:1 ratio or Meguiar's APC and the appropriate microfiber, qtip, or brush.

emmjay
08-23-2016, 12:35 AM
Meguiar's D114 at a 128:1 ratio or Meguiar's APC and the appropriate microfiber, qtip, or brush.

Perfect, thank you! Glad its not a difficult task :)

A brush, tooth brush style brush should get most of it if it is dried. Then maybe an APC on a MF towel to wipe the rest off.

Yup its dried, more than 2 months old. Thanks for the advice :)

Eldorado2k
08-23-2016, 12:40 AM

Yea, that's what I used the other day when I noticed there was some dried up polish in the seams between my hood and fender. You could use a brush, but why risk scratching the paint.. A little M205 on a microfiber towel cleaned it up perfectly.

If you missed a spot and had dried up polish on your hood the next day, would you take a toothbrush to it? Or would you simply take a little more polish on a towel and wipe it off? I wouldn't take a brush to it..

dlc95
08-23-2016, 05:36 AM
Credit card wrapped in a microfiber towel, spritzed with M34.

emmjay
09-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Yea, that's what I used the other day when I noticed there was some dried up polish in the seams between my hood and fender. You could use a brush, but why risk scratching the paint.. A little M205 on a microfiber towel cleaned it up perfectly.

If you missed a spot and had dried up polish on your hood the next day, would you take a toothbrush to it? Or would you simply take a little more polish on a towel and wipe it off? I wouldn't take a brush to it..

The like for like makes sense. I shall try both methods and see where it takes me :)

Only thing is I have no clue what cheap rocks in a bottle compound they would have used.

Eldorado2k
09-07-2016, 10:45 AM
The like for like makes sense. I shall try both methods and see where it takes me :)

Only thing is I have no clue what cheap rocks in a bottle compound they would have used.

The most basic Cleaner Wax is all it takes.

I think I've had this same bottle for almost 20yrs... Once in a while it comes in handy:)

LSNAutoDetailing
09-07-2016, 04:54 PM
http://www.autogeekmobile.net/wax-remover-for-plastic.html

It's safe on paint & glass

Or, Megs D114 does the trick for me.

dschia
09-09-2016, 10:39 PM
Agreed with Eldorado2k. Unless the APC is very caustic or is specifically formulated to remove caked up polish, else most of the time compounds will do a better job than APC. With APC, sometimes the dried polish seems like it is gone when cleaning but the residue reappear after drying. Having said that, compound tend to be high in viscosity which isnt easy to use on tight areas.