PDA

View Full Version : Do I always need to use a "cleaner" wax before applying LSP/wax?

Pages : [1] 2

CC268
08-22-2016, 10:02 PM
Hey guys,

I am just wondering...do you always use a cleaner wax like Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion before applying your LSP/wax? I don't detail for a living...just detail my personal vehicles...all of which have great paint. Is it necessary to do this everytime I reapply wax?

The Guz
08-22-2016, 10:42 PM
A cleaner wax has wax in it. So you could stop there or use a spray wax over it and be done.

If you want to use a longer lasting LSP then why not just go ahead and polish the paint.

CC268
08-22-2016, 10:46 PM
Maybe my post wasn't very clear. In the past when I first bought my truck (new) I was told I was best off to clay, then polish with Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion and then top it off with whatever wax I wanted. I am wondering if this is still necessary or can I go straight from a two bucket method car wash to my LSP/wax?

Mantilgh
08-22-2016, 10:53 PM
I don't really think too many people do, if you are referring to the product above and ones similar.

I don't have any experience with it but it's sounds more like a cleaner glaze than a cleaner wax. The Black Label one is more of a surface prep cleaner for good bonding of their coating.

If you are talking about products that have a "wax" and also contains chemical and/or abrasive cleaners, I'd still say probably not many. Although I think it wouldn't hurt at all, and would keep the vehicle nice and glossy. But if your topping it you may as well go with a dedicated polish and a high quality wax or sealant. It will clean the paint and add gloss too.

Are you looking for a glaze type product, or a pre wax cleaner?

Mantilgh
08-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Clay, Polish with a pure polish, protect...once to twice a year.

In between: Wash then wax if you want to occasionally, or use a spray wax often.

CC268
08-22-2016, 10:58 PM
I don't need to polish my paint though? It's in show car condition :)

So...I guess the answer is I can go straight from my wash to Collinite 845 if I want...

AZpolisher15
08-22-2016, 11:00 PM
You can go straight to LSP from a two bucket wash. Over time, you'll eventually want to clean it up again with a polish/paint cleanser/cleaner wax. But a lot of people like to put a new LSP on often. Or refresh existing LSP. In that case, no need for paint cleaning. A lot of it is personal preference and simply how well you maintain your vehicle. In short, no it's not going to hurt anything. The risk is that you might loosten up some bonded contaminants and then drag them across your paint. But on well maintained vehicles, that risk is lessened significantly.

WillSports3
08-22-2016, 11:06 PM
No point in cleaner wax if your car is in good condition. With your new car, just wash and if you want, do an IPA wipe down or carpro eraser then go straight to wax.

emmjay
08-23-2016, 12:42 AM
If I remember correctly, PCL is purely a paint cleaner with no wax in it. You would use it to remove old layers of wax or sealant, and any dirt that was not removed from claying. The Cleansing Lotion, will leave your paint super smooth and clean, especially if it is in great condition. I have a full bottle but I use an ultra fine polish instead as it would require the same steps (polisher, pads, wipe off etc.) as it would clean up any minor marring and swirls while I am at it.

Here is a post by Mike Philips - using the exact product you mention and its benefits. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/28519-benefits-light-paint-cleaner-cleansing-lotion-pre-wax-cleaner.html

Most people just use a fine or ultra fine polish, just incase.

Heres a thread by me from a while ago:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/91369-paint-cleaner-m205-bonus-qs.html

shadwell
08-23-2016, 01:48 AM
Having one white and one black car....

On the white i have to take into account the darkening of the layered wax.. and the fact that although the paint looks clean the colour often looks less bright.... as susch I do run over it with Car Pro relect and a finishing pad on the rotary, then glaze and then LSP (collinite 845).
The paint is brighter afterwards,, even though it may not have had much in the way of defects..... (the polish is removing the old wax and cleaning up any tiny marks on the way)...
I will re wax with 845 every couple of months, and i use Optimum Car Wax after most washes..

I would not have learned to do the same if on ly the black ans the darkening would not be apparent.. (or perhaps not matter)...

So if you want completely clean paint and tend to use durable LSP, finishing polish will get you there.. in the mean time wash wax and keep it mint with the detailing spray / wax...

FUNX650
08-23-2016, 07:44 AM
I, at the very least, "clean the paint"
before I apply Waxes or other LSPs.

There are other means to "clean the
paint", than using Cleaner-Waxes
(or, for that matter: Cleaner-Sealants;
Hybrid Cleaner-Waxes/Sealants...in
other words: AIOs).

•Washing, claying...
-to remove above surface contaminates

•Use liquids containing abrasives having
various levels of aggressiveness...
-to remove below surface defects

You state the paint is in excellent condition.
You are the only one that can make the final
determination on how to make it ready to
receive the LSP you've chosen.

•All that I will further say:
I always polish after I clay.

Bob

Cliffnopus
08-23-2016, 09:00 AM
IF my paint is in good condition and IF it's not too dirty, I will use ONR and then Pinnacle Liquid Wax. Has worked for me in the past, will work in the future.

2011 Kona Blue
08-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Hey guys,

I am just wondering...do you always use a cleaner wax like Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion before applying your LSP/wax? I don't detail for a living...just detail my personal vehicles...all of which have great paint. Is it necessary to do this everytime I reapply wax?

I use Pinnacle cleaning lotion once a year on my personal vehicle to remove all the old wax and sealants. I clay once a year and then use the cleaning lotion after the clay process. Then the LSP goes on which has been Collinite 845 . I really have been liking that stuff big time. Lol!

CC268
08-23-2016, 11:32 AM
I use Pinnacle cleaning lotion once a year on my personal vehicle to remove all the old wax and sealants. I clay once a year and then use the cleaning lotion after the clay process. Then the LSP goes on which has been Collinite 845 . I really have been liking that stuff big time. Lol!

This makes a lot of sense to me...thanks for the feedback.

My paint is in good condition and I figure I don't want to polish it and make the clear coat thinner unless it is absolutely needed.

CC268
08-23-2016, 11:37 AM
If I remember correctly, PCL is purely a paint cleaner with no wax in it. You would use it to remove old layers of wax or sealant, and any dirt that was not removed from claying. The Cleansing Lotion, will leave your paint super smooth and clean, especially if it is in great condition. I have a full bottle but I use an ultra fine polish instead as it would require the same steps (polisher, pads, wipe off etc.) as it would clean up any minor marring and swirls while I am at it.

Here is a post by Mike Philips - using the exact product you mention and its benefits. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/28519-benefits-light-paint-cleaner-cleansing-lotion-pre-wax-cleaner.html

Most people just use a fine or ultra fine polish, just incase.

Heres a thread by me from a while ago:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/91369-paint-cleaner-m205-bonus-qs.html

That makes sense - maybe I will go to the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish then instead of the Cleansing Lotion. Would I use this on a white LC Flat pad on my GG6?