PDA

View Full Version : Full paint correction in 5 hours on S-M size cars??

Pages : [1] 2

choijw2
08-22-2016, 10:47 AM
So.. I was looking around my local detailer's website.

and this one place...
His washing wax is 1-2 hours estimated
One step Polishing service 2-3
and full correction 4-5 hours
as one man detailer.

that is including pre-soak
gas cap, door jamb, wheels, glasses
clay bar etc etc

I have done AIO on Hyundai gen coup in little over 3 hours, but that was really rushing it
and had to let owner know that it might not be very detailed.

So....Is this guy really really fast or am I really really slow?

MattPersman
08-22-2016, 11:57 AM
Probably not anywhere near auto geek standards. Wouldn't know unless one of us watched it go down but it says nothing about interior so wash, clay, dry, hit with rotary with the same worn out wool pad and same do all compound with fillers. 4-5 hours easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Caliber
08-22-2016, 12:04 PM
I think you are fine with time on that Hyundai. You can only go so fast before quality starts to suffer. So many variables come into play its crazy, such as panel curves and angles, and all the prep just leading up to spinning pads on the paint. The correction time on even a small car is low if you ask me.

Cruzscarwash
08-22-2016, 12:13 PM
I did a gallant in about 6 hrs with just a AIO, removed about 70%ish defects using my GG6

wash
clay
AIO-jams, and 5 pads
NPS to top it off

no interior at all was touched

GSKR
08-22-2016, 12:30 PM
So.. I was looking around my local detailer's website.

and this one place...
His washing wax is 1-2 hours estimated
One step Polishing service 2-3
and full correction 4-5 hours
as one man detailer.

that is including pre-soak
gas cap, door jamb, wheels, glasses
clay bar etc etc

I have done AIO on Hyundai gen coup in little over 3 hours, but that was really rushing it
and had to let owner know that it might not be very detailed.

So....Is this guy really really fast or am I really really slow?
Sounds about right.Correction may vary from the size of the vehicle.Everything varies he is just estimating on time of completion.

choijw2
08-22-2016, 01:58 PM
He had video of polishing Black Merc with PC 7424xp + MF pad as one step and result of good.

but looks like he uses CG butter wet wax as finishing wax for every job and idk how I feel about that.
because I consider that as topper, not a stand alone wax due to high gloss but such a short durability.

but this is his stage 2 (I think AIO) steps and info. which is 2-3 hours estimated according to him.

= Pre-rinse and foam bath with a PH Balanced Shampoo, hand wash with a premium, microfiber wash mitt.
= Gas cap, engine compartment degreased and cleaned.
= Emblems, seams, cracks and crevices agitated with a paint safe boars hair brush.
= Rims, tires, and wheel wells cleaned with appropriate products and shined.
= Paint is decontaminated with a Clay-bar to remove embedded particles in your paint.
= Clear coated rims are protected with a high temp sealant.
= Exhaust tips are polished and sealed with a high temp sealant.
= Paint is hand dried with soft, microfiber towels and forced air.
= Paintwork is deep cleaned and polished with to remove old wax, minor swirls, and increase gloss.
= Exterior glass is cleaned, windshield is sealed for improved visibility in inclement weather.
= Paint is protected with a Chemical Guys-Butter Wet Wax, safely applied with a dual action polisher.
(Protection may last up to 3 months)

Seems like he does quality work and post 50/50 which looks nice.

Billy Baldone
08-22-2016, 02:02 PM
I did a compound/polish on a black 2017 Acura RDX, yes the dealer "prepped" it. Lol. Microfiber cutting pads, SHine Supply Classic Cut, HD polish with my Boss 21, about 7 hours. Then a couple hours to coat everything. So his times aren't too far off

choijw2
08-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Maybe I need to pick up my pace then haha.

I have "track day only" black acura integra with tons of swirls coming in this weekend and I will try to set a new record for AIO loll

expdetailing
08-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Maybe his passes per section are quick and doesn't really go after defects. Many customers are just fine with defects as long as it's shinier than before.

kevincwelch
08-22-2016, 02:24 PM
A few things come to mind:

1. He's faster and does quality work
2. He's faster and does OK work
3. He's faster and doesn't do great work

Perhaps he has an assistant to do some of the menial tasks like rinsing, washing, taping, etc.

Maybe he's just a practical guy and does work that is "good enough" for 99% of the public who in general think driving their cars through the Swirl-o-matic and getting sealant dripped all over their car is a great car washing experience.

As far as I go, my fastest ever correction was a Volvo S60 in which I did a wash, decontamination and polish + paste wax in a little over 4 hours. It was a car that could have used a two step correction, but she wasn't interested in that. I probably had about a 75% correction. That was with the Flex.

Had it been my car, that would have easily been a 6-8 hour job and I would have made sure I could have used the paint for shaving my face with a single blade razor.

GSKR
08-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Maybe I need to pick up my pace then haha.

I have "track day only" black acura integra with tons of swirls coming in this weekend and I will try to set a new record for AIO loll
Totally different process.your charging for improvement not perfection with a aio.So a totally swirled out car lille that should take 2 hrs to polish with a aio.

boomdone
08-22-2016, 03:34 PM
I can totally see that with a rotary (if he's skilled and not a hack) doing a multi step correction with a good, shorter working time compound & polish like the AAT twins. But you mentioned he has a video showing him with a PC. Still, I could very easily see someone doing a one step with Menz. 2500 or FG 400 or HD Adapt with an orange LC pad on a PC then following it up with a spray wax/sealant where the average person would be blown away by the results.

TTQ B4U
08-22-2016, 04:08 PM
HD Adapt with an orange LC pad on a PC then following it up with a spray wax/sealant where the average person would be blown away by the results.

I agree. I did a black 2012 Honda Accord - not a FULL correction but I brought it from a 4 or 5 to an 8 to a 9 in 5hrs. Wash, Decontaminate, Clay, HD Adapt with Orange Pads on a Flex 3401 then coated it with Powerlock and buffed. I didn't do the jams or completely detail the wheels. The car was pigged out though too.

For a sedan though I like to allow for 6-8hrs.

Dereksdtail
08-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Me,uber rinseless,clay sponge,speed and the boss can knockout a polish job in 3-4 hours, i rarely do full corrections, not many people around here care to spend what it would cost and I don't want to waste my time when they're happy with just a light polish and seal, mostly daily drivers anyways.

choijw2
08-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Me,uber rinseless,clay sponge,speed and the boss can knockout a polish job in 3-4 hours, i rarely do full corrections, not many people around here care to spend what it would cost and I don't want to waste my time when they're happy with just a light polish and seal, mostly daily drivers anyways.

Thats what I expect as well.

washing and claying will take about 1 hour or 1.5 hour depends on how dirty it is and type of clay you use.
AIO polishing itself will take me about 3 hours with rupes 21es and mini buffer for tight areas. maybe extra 1 hour or so if I go dedicated light polish + wax.