PDA

View Full Version : airplane detail training classes?

foreignaffairs
08-21-2016, 08:14 PM
I am thinking about getting into airplane detailing. I have become friends with the owner of a local airplane maintenance shop and he is looking to offer detailing. I have been doing auto detailing for about 12 years but i know planes are different. I would appreciate any advise or recommendations on training.

ShineDoc
08-21-2016, 08:38 PM
Most planes are painted with Imron. That stuff is hard. Polishing the belly and under the wings can be real tuff. After you do one plane I think you will get a lot more business.

Best of luck to you

foreignaffairs
08-21-2016, 09:12 PM
I don't mean to sound arrogant or cocky, but I have mastered cars and I'm looking forward to a new challenge

GSKR
08-21-2016, 09:52 PM
Have your friend guide you on the right path of steering clear of potential promblems.The belly of some jets are murderous as far as fuel,it turns into a gel which is a pain to remove.Be prepared to throw out a lot of rags also .keep your pricing firm and don't get involved with washing them only.when in doubt tape up pretty much common sense things.Good luck and make some $$$$.If your near by palm beach fla I have 2 this week,your welcome to come by.

GSKR
08-21-2016, 09:53 PM
I see your from Kentucky so that won't work.

Paul A.
08-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Have your mechanic buddy go through ALL the things to make sure you stay clear of. For example, pitot tubes and static pressure gauge ports. Tape those up and insure there is no tape adhesive residue left when you're done. Have a safety or common pin handy when you check those areas. Don't use tooth picks as they can break off. I mention these little particulars not to scare you but to make sure you are aware of some of the things that make aircraft detailing a little different than vehicles.

(edit - oops, GSKR already mentioned this point but reinforcement is good).

And don't miss the opportunity to mention to the owner you can do his car too!

foreignaffairs
08-22-2016, 09:36 PM
Any product recommendations?