PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Guage Cluster Tip!

AZpolisher15
08-21-2016, 06:14 PM
Cleaning up swirls on guage clusters is tough. I've tried my hand with PlastX and both M10&17. Great products, but as we all know, instrument panels are tough with limited space for arm/hand movement, etc. While these products will clean up some mild damage, 100% correction is tough unless you remove the actual plastic from the vehicle.

Well, today I stumbled upon a trick. I've been using lens cloths for this intricate polishing work, but yesterday ran into a problem of the 10/17 separating (see alternate post). Basically, the liquid rapidly wicked into the towel and it left solids in one spot (kinda like a drip coffee pot). And with PlastX, unless I used a lot of product, it dried and smudged/smeared, requiring a heavier hand for removal (risking further swirls).

So today, in order to combat this, I completely saturated the lens cloth in water before dripping on the PlastX and M 10/17. It worked. It also prevented the polishes from drying prematurely and gave as much work time as I needed. I didn't get as much smudging/smearing, and what little there was more easily wiped off with a separate dry lens cloth. In the end, I got MUCH better results than I've ever gotten using just the products and cloth alone. With some more time and finessing, I think I could have gotten it even better. This method also prevents excess product from running or getting caught in the edges of the cluster holes.

My my method for the lens cloth polishing is this-- cut one cloth in quarters. Wad 1/4 of one cloth up and place on the center of another (soaked in water and wrung out). Bundle the edges and you have a little marble shaped "head". Put just ONE small drop of PlastX or 10/17 on the tip. And then polish. Due to the addition of the water, you can polish for awhile. You don't want excess water, so wring out the cloth after initially soaking it.

dcjredline
08-21-2016, 07:15 PM
Neat idea wadding one up inside another. I like that!!!! Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Paul A.
08-22-2016, 08:35 AM
Superb suggestion, Harpo! Thank you for sharing that with us. Gauge clusters have always been a tough nut to crack for me in getting them perfect. Out of fear of making them worse i treat them super gently. This will help immensely.

GSKR
08-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Very informative info.Rule of thumb in my experience is never to touch them.I detailed a 14 ram 2500 yesterday,the owner build cabinets for a living and there was saw dust everywhere.first time in a long time I wiped down a cluster.I just blotted it with a new damp micro and blotted it with dry micro no wiping ever used my finger to remove any lint or smudging around the inside edges of the cluster.

AZpolisher15
08-22-2016, 11:30 AM
Very informative info.Rule of thumb in my experience is never to touch them.I detailed a 14 ram 2500 yesterday,the owner build cabinets for a living and there was saw dust everywhere.first time in a long time I wiped down a cluster.I just blotted it with a new damp micro and blotted it with dry micro no wiping ever used my finger to remove any lint or smudging around the inside edges of the cluster.
I'd have to agree with your rule of thumb. I do wish I'd never touched mine in the first place!

AJS
08-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Ive never had an issue with cleaning mine. Even when I removed it and cleaned the entire plastic, not much was missed. I think was using some rubbing alcohol on a mf clothe51641

I would take one of the plastic pry tools for phone repair ($1-2) and take like he said, the lens clothe or cut a small piece of mf clothe and use that on the tool to move around in the cluster