PDA

View Full Version : Recommended black plastic trim product?

prr
08-21-2016, 04:18 PM
I'm in between major auto maintenance, so I'd like to start on some minor stuff. I have black plastic trim on the doors, as well as a luggage rack, and would like to restore them to something like the original color. They all have a lot of white marks (i assume from wax).

What product would you recommend for this?

briarpatch
08-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Before you proceed, have you tried removing the white marks from the moulding? Regardless of what product you use, you'll need to get rid of them first. Believe it or not, try one of those big pencil erasers on it. Once you get them clean, there are products like Solution Finish that can restore trim.

Rsurfer
08-21-2016, 04:59 PM
The key is prepping (cleaning), use a apc and scrub with a tooth brush. The cleaner you get the plastic, the better the dressing will bond. Wipe down with 50/50 alcohol and apply dressing. Some of the better dressings are Wolfgang, Car Pro Dlux, Solution Finish which is a dye and a few others

prr
08-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks. I'll do that. I would have thought that the product I apply would clean it off, but I can apply some cleaner with a toothbrush, and then use the product to restore/protect.

I see three products that you two have mentioned. Are they pretty much six of one, half a dozen of the other? Or any in particular that you like/prefer?

Rsurfer
08-21-2016, 05:08 PM
Thanks. I'll do that. I would have thought that the product I apply would clean it off, but I can apply some cleaner with a toothbrush, and then use the product to restore/protect.

I see three products that you two have mentioned. Are they pretty much six of one, half a dozen of the other? Or any in particular that you like/prefer?
Solution Finish and Dlux would be my first choices.

BMW435
08-21-2016, 05:45 PM
I like Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. Like everyone said above, make sure you give the trim a good cleaning first. An APC and a damp microfiber works good or I've seen a lot of people recommend Mothers Back to Black HD Trim Cleaner.