PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber and foam pad cleaning

GrantLagasse
08-21-2016, 12:15 PM
Hi all, just finished completing my first attempt at compound/polish/sealant and I'm now stuck with a pile of dirty pads. I used meguiars cutting and finishing microfiber pads and griots red waxing foam pads. I've searched all over and haven't really found any clear answers on how to clean either. Can I put the MF pads in the washing machine with a MF detergent? Thanks in advance

BudgetPlan1
08-21-2016, 12:40 PM
I just throw in washer w/ a free and clear detergent, heavy duty cycle on hot, spin dry on da and then rumble dry on lowest setting.

Edit: Have switched to using HD Towel Clean as detergent for towels and pads. Great reviews and very cost effective by the gallon.

WillSports3
08-21-2016, 12:41 PM
I would take the towels and soak them in apc over night and then washing machine with mf detergent. I tend to do that with anything that has product on it.

spazzz
08-21-2016, 02:49 PM
I wash my pads by hand because that way I know they are clean.
Since most, maybe all, pad cleaners are citrus based I use the heavy duty orange citrus in a gallon from HD.

I work them by hand, then spin them out with my PC.
When I am polishing, I have a fiver( and grit guard) with D114 in it to soak and clean pads while working.

Towels I use the washing machine.

GrantLagasse
08-21-2016, 07:38 PM
So just spray with a pad cleaner and work with a brush and towel? And leave it out to dry?

GrantLagasse
08-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Anyone used the grit guard pad washer for microfiber pads?

shadwell
08-22-2016, 08:16 PM
i just hand wash with dishwashing fluid.. squash dry them under a towell, then spin them on the roary at 3k rpm..
Then they sit over night to air and dry out.. then out away in vebtiliated plastic 40l box....

Haven't had the need to do more..

The Guz
08-22-2016, 08:27 PM
This or any all purpose cleaner will work

McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Rejuvenator was created to provide detailers with a fast and effective way to clean pads without soapy residue or foamy (http://www.autogeek.net/dp730.html)

I use the Detailer's Pro version of it. I rinse them out after cleaning them in the solution.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/mckees-37/92348-review-dp-polishing-pad-rejuvenator.html

dlc95
08-23-2016, 05:42 AM
I wash my pads by hand because that way I know they are clean.
Since most, maybe all, pad cleaners are citrus based I use the heavy duty orange citrus in a gallon from HD.

I work them by hand, then spin them out with my PC.
When I am polishing, I have a fiver( and grit guard) with D114 in it to soak and clean pads while working.

Towels I use the washing machine.

Very similar process, but I use cg's pad cleaner.

I spray them, agitate with a pad conditioning brush, and rinse under running water while further massaging with the thumbs. I rinse until the water runs clear, and the pad is clean. Compress between a towel, spin dry, and place on cookie cooling racks to dry.

Or, at that point I can get back to work.

GrantLagasse
08-24-2016, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys! So any input on the grit guard pad washer? I'm not afraid to drop that kind of money if it's worth it

CC268
08-24-2016, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys! So any input on the grit guard pad washer? I'm not afraid to drop that kind of money if it's worth it

I thought about buying one of these myself, but it seems like a lot of guys on here don't use them?

Also, I had no idea you could throw foam pads in the washing machine! I will have to try that with HD Kleen detergent...

Rj967
08-25-2016, 09:46 PM
I bought a pad washer almost as a goof and now use it religiously. Powdered MF detergent with clean water makes the pads good as new. Just follow the instructions and do the initial spin drying while it's still in the bucket with the lid closed. My neighbor is still laughing from when I flung water 35' in all directions the first time I used it..

I found the clothes washer left the pads too wet and the spin cycle deformed the edges a little. I was also worried about the chemical odor transferring to my clothes since I don't have a dedicated machine for car stuff.

I know the cost of the pad washer can be daunting and I'm just an enthusiast...but if you are using good pads the investment is worth it IMO.

Paul A.
08-26-2016, 10:30 AM
My regimen is to fill a couple of buckets with clean rinse water. When i'm done with a pad i spray the worked face with APC and work out as much product i can. Then toss it with some residual APC left in the pad into the rinse bucket. That way they never dry. When i'm done with the job i further wash and rinse thoroughly all pads in the rinse bucket (sometimes buckets). I squeeze them out good and spin dry on my orbital and leave them on a couple of wire racks salvaged from an old stove to dry.

I have some pads that are 5-7 years old (and maybe older, can't remember) and have only had a very few that let go of the adhesive velcro bond. And even that i attest to maybe the machine heat i mistakenly let build up during its use.

Works well for me.