PDA

View Full Version : What are the proper steps in applying a new coat of sealant

sheeponfire
08-19-2016, 08:59 PM
Do I need to remove the old paint sealant before applying a new layer? If so, are there specific products that will be useful in removing it.
so far my steps for a weekly wash are as follows:

foam spray the car and let it sit for 3 minutes
rinse the foam off with the power washer
spray one panel again with the foam wash and then wipe in straight lines making sure to rinse my microfiber mitt in the clean bucket with a grate guard.
dry the panel that was just washed and move to the next until the car is finished and all water is dried off especially since the power washer can get other previously cleaned panels wet
apply a quick wax spray and wipe it clean

This is my weekly method not including tires and interior. How should this be modified when I apply the sealer? I am looking at doing a a sealant application three times a year.

Also, I have just been using a simple meguiar's quick wax weekly after washing, is the wash and quick wax sufficient between each sealant application or should i be doing more between?

Thank you for your help as I begin my journey.

Eldorado2k
08-19-2016, 10:58 PM
IMO there's no real need to remove whatever remains of the sealant prior to applying more if it's been a couple of months.. Especially if it's the same kind. The thing you should be more concerned with is whether the paint has acquired any bonded contaminants. Does it still pass the "baggie test"? If not, you should clay prior to applying another coat of sealant.