PDA

View Full Version : Rupes MKII 15 - Considering Purchasing - will GG BOSS pads work with it?

Pages : [1] 2 3

LSNAutoDetailing
08-19-2016, 02:51 PM
I'm considering the Rupes MKII 15mm Long Throw as a fourth tool to the collection.
First off, for those that own and use one regularly, how do you like it??
Second, will the flat GG BOSS 5" pads work with the backing plate on it? I'd hate to repurchase all new pads when I have quite an inventory of BOSS Pads.

RaskyR1
08-19-2016, 02:53 PM
I use BOSS pads on my Rupes 21 all the time.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-19-2016, 03:01 PM
I use BOSS pads on my Rupes 21 all the time.

I noticed Rupes pads come in 6" or 7", however BOSS G-15 Pads are 5.5" pads. So I'm assuming the 5.5" pads will not work with LR15 MKII?

EDIT: Just noticed on AG Website:

The Rupes BigFoot LHR15 MarkII includes a 5 inch backing plate.

So I guess I'm ok to use the BOSS G-15 5.5" pads...

Dan Tran
08-19-2016, 03:04 PM
I personally like my machine. Do keep in mind, I only have Rupes pads so someone else will need to comment on the B.O.S.S. Pads compatibility.

I don't know what tools you currently own, but this is currently my only tool I have. Having that said, all my recent work have been done with it. Of course with the exception of doing tight spaces by hand until I can get a mini.

I find it super smooth and feel that it is plenty of power to accomplish what I need it to do. I normally correct between a 3-4 and polish at a 2-3 speed setting and rarely do I crank it to a 5-6 simple because as long as am maintaining proper control of the unit, stalling has not been an issue (now that I have had more time behind the tool).

I for the most part have been using it with HD SPEED and all my customers have been more than pleased with the results.

I hope this helps a bit.

Marc08EX
08-19-2016, 03:11 PM
I noticed Rupes pads come in 6" or 7", however BOSS G-15 Pads are 5.5" pads. So I'm assuming the 5.5" pads will not work with LR15 MKII?

Paul,

The Rupes 6" pads have a 5" velcro backing diameter while the Rupes 7" pads have a 6" velcro backing diameter. The Rupes pads flare out from the velcro to the pad face.

The Griot's BOSS 5.5" pads have a 5" velcro backing diameter while the Griot's BOSS 6.5" pads have a 6" velcro backing diameter.

Both the Rupes and Griot's BOSS 15mm throw backing plates utilize a 5" backing plate while the 21mm throw backing plate utilizes a 6" backing plate.

So the Rupes 6" pads or the Griot's BOSS 5.5" pads can be used on either the Rupes/Griot's 15mm machines because both machines use a 5" BP. Also, the Rupes 7" pads or the Griot's BOSS 6.5" pads can be used on either the Rupes/Griot's 21mm machines because both machines use a 6" BP.

So your BOSS pads should work on the Rupes 15Mk2. The only concern is how it will affect the balance of the machine.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Paul,

The Rupes 6" pads have a 5" velcro backing diameter while the Rupes 7" pads have a 6" velcro backing diameter. The Rupes pads flare out from the velcro to the pad face.

The Griot's BOSS 5.5" pads have a 5" velcro backing diameter while the Griot's BOSS 6.5" pads have a 6" velcro backing diameter.

Both the Rupes and Griot's BOSS 15mm throw backing plates utilize a 5" backing plate while the 21mm throw backing plate utilizes a 6" backing plate.

So the Rupes 6" pads or the Griot's BOSS 5.5" pads can be used on either the Rupes/Griot's 15mm machines because both machines use a 5" BP. Also, the Rupes 7" pads or the Griot's BOSS 6.5" pads can be used on either the Rupes/Griot's 21mm machines because both machines use a 6" BP.

So your BOSS pads should work on the Rupes 15Mk2. The only concern is how it will affect the balance of the machine.

Thanks Marc. Evidence is starting to mount that I should be fine... aside from balance. But given the BOSS pads have a center hole, I'm assuming that is for both heat & balance...

Marc08EX
08-19-2016, 03:17 PM
Thanks Marc. Evidence is starting to mount that I should be fine... aside from balance. But given the BOSS pads have a center hole, I'm assuming that is for both heat & balance...

My pleasure.

You definitely will be fine with regards to the BOSS pads matching the diameter of the Rupes BP.

The Rupes pads have a center hole as well.

Heisenberg
08-19-2016, 03:17 PM
I use 5.5 Boss pads on my MKII 15 all the time. They're my favorite pads.

I have my G21 washer modded and left my MKII stock and switch them up depending on what I'm working on. I do like the ergonomics of the Boss polishers more(specifically the instant start), but it's really like Choice 1a and 1b, you know? They're both great machines.

Marc08EX
08-19-2016, 03:18 PM
I found this thread:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/99133-rupes-21es-boss-yellow-pads.html

The guy is using the BOSS pads on his Rupes. I'm assuming the guy is using the 15 backing plate for the 5.5" BOSS pads to work.

BTW, I have a few BOSS 5.5" MF pads and I'm planning to use them on my Rupes 15Mk2. I just haven't had a chance to use it on the car yet.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-19-2016, 03:22 PM
This is all awesome news. Thank you Marc for your research and everyone else for chiming in. Now I can have the best of both worlds... BOSS G-15 & Rupes MKII 15.

LittleKing24
08-19-2016, 03:48 PM
If I remember correctly, you'll be attending the competition ready class in September right? Since it's right around the corner, try to wait(says someone with no patience) until then to decide if you want to purchase it being you'll be able to have some hands on with one. If you have already had a chance to use one then disregard this message I guess lol Just a suggestion if you haven't

custmsprty
08-19-2016, 04:06 PM
I have both LHR 15 and a G21 with a 5" BP installed on it and use the Griots pads on both. I actually prefer them over the Rupes pads on my Duetto and my LHR 15. Sorry Rupes, but that's my 2 cents on it.

Marc08EX
08-19-2016, 04:08 PM
I have both LHR 15 and a G21 with a 5" BP installed on it and use the Griots pads on both. I actually prefer them over the Rupes pads on my Duetto and my LHR 15. Sorry Rupes, but that's my 2 cents on it.

I love the BOSS MF pads and I'm planning to use them on my Rupes 15.

The Guz
08-19-2016, 04:18 PM
The boss microfiber pads work great on the LHR15 Mark II. Other than that those are the only Griot's pads I use on my Rupes.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-19-2016, 04:21 PM
If I remember correctly, you'll be attending the competition ready class in September right? Since it's right around the corner, try to wait(says someone with no patience) until then to decide if you want to purchase it being you'll be able to have some hands on with one. If you have already had a chance to use one then disregard this message I guess lol Just a suggestion if you haven't

Hi LK, sadly we had a family emergency come up which will require attention in September, and plan on taking the May 2017 class.