PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a Neglected Coat of CQuartz UK?

001jigsaw
08-19-2016, 04:37 AM
Hey everyone!

So a buddy of mine went and bought himself CQUK after seeing how my Impala turned out last year. Apparently, he let it go for almost a year with only 4 or 5 washes since his initial correction and coating application. I saw some pictures after he washed the car, and it looks like it has water spots and just an overall thin layer of contaminants on top of the coating - if it's even still under there.

It is my understanding that you can barely touch the CQUK. Clay bar, compound, and polish would all remove the coating. So what would be the next move to make? A glaze or a cleaner wax on a gray pad, maybe? Or perhaps the past winter's driving conditions (salt) may be the culprit here as well - IronX?

I have some left and was planning on using it on my father's car - which he doesn't take great care of. This would definitely be useful information to have.

Thanks!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-19-2016, 05:25 AM
I would first wash the car with maybe a stronger dilution of Reset and a round of Iron-X to get the paint ready for work. Then perform a test spot with CarPro Spotless by hand and see how it works on the spotting. If that doesn't work then I would equip a DA with a finishing pad and the spot remover and check the results.

I would not utilize a glaze, cleaner wax, AIO as it will contaminate the CQ. If you must perform mechanical polishing session plan on starting with a finishing polish and work your way to the more aggressive scale to achieve what is needed. I would also recoat the vehicle at this point as well.

vobro
08-19-2016, 07:15 AM
I agree with Mike, you may also use CarPro Essence after. I used it to clean up the roof of a car I did 17 months ago and it worked great, it went back to sheeting like new. I talked with the CarPro rep and he mentioned that there's synergy between the 2 products

idriveblackcars
08-19-2016, 07:17 AM
Why even go through all the trouble ? He's only going to neglect it again.

001jigsaw
08-19-2016, 02:04 PM
I would first wash the car with maybe a stronger dilution of Reset and a round of Iron-X to get the paint ready for work. Then perform a test spot with CarPro Spotless by hand and see how it works on the spotting. If that doesn't work then I would equip a DA with a finishing pad and the spot remover and check the results.

I would not utilize a glaze, cleaner wax, AIO as it will contaminate the CQ. If you must perform mechanical polishing session plan on starting with a finishing polish and work your way to the more aggressive scale to achieve what is needed. I would also recoat the vehicle at this point as well.

I agree with Mike, you may also use CarPro Essence after. I used it to clean up the roof of a car I did 17 months ago and it worked great, it went back to sheeting like new. I talked with the CarPro rep and he mentioned that there's synergy between the 2 products

Thank you both for your advice, I'm going to look further into those products.

Vobro - just curious, which CQuartz did you use?

Why even go through all the trouble ? He's only going to neglect it again.

It's been a tough year around here. Part of it was to give him an answer, and the rest was my own curiosity, as I also use a few CarPro products. :) Guess I'll be further adding to my arsenal. I've been very impressed with everything I've used so far.

vobro
08-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Essence was applied to CQUK

001jigsaw
08-20-2016, 12:55 AM
Essence was applied to CQUK

I'm seeing that Essence contains abrasives, and offers protection of it's own - an AIO of sorts. Curious how the roof is going to hold up compared to the other parts of the car that didn't get Essence. I'm wondering if the abrasives are enough to cut through the coating.