PDA

View Full Version : Should I coat my car before taking it to a body shop?

Hantra
08-18-2016, 11:19 PM
So I have to go in to have my fenders resprayed, since Honda was having a bad paint day when my 2016 Pilot was built.

I have been waiting to polish out the few dealer swirls, and coat with WG Uber. But now, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and then coat everything except those fenders. Does it make sense to coat as a strategy to protect from overspray?

If it does, and I do use my coating, and then there is overspray, do I clay the coating? Or polish it off?

Or does it make more sense to wait, and then just coat afterwards, in case there is overspray?

Thanks!

The Guz
08-18-2016, 11:35 PM
I would wait and coat it after. You could always seal it for now.

DetailDrivenEugene
08-18-2016, 11:53 PM
I agree with Guz. There will be "extra" stuff to deal with after the body shop has their way with it. Polish it to perfection after they do their work. But you also need to wait for the fresh paint to off gas before coating it.

AutowerxDetailing
08-19-2016, 03:46 AM
Definitely wait until after it comes back from the shop. I've had to re-coat several vehicles after they were involved in accidents. Even bringing the cars into the shop perfectly clean and having "do not wash" signs on the windows they always get destroyed.

emmjay
08-19-2016, 03:50 AM
Honda here, although halfway accross the world. My car was polished and sealed in the first week of may. I then got rear ended and the force made me nudge the car in front of me too. They replaced the rear bumper and front bumper. I stuck 4 signs all over the car to not wash the car and to just work on the affect panels, including informing every damn service rep at the agency. Little did I know that instead of washing they would just wipe the car with a dry towel, as they need a clean surface around probably? To quote "But you said not to wash".....I digress.

Suffice to say, my entire trunk lid and rear quarter panels are completely swirled out and rough now. I have waited since June 21st to work on the car. Avg temps right now are 110-120 so waiting for second week of September for any work.

Once it cools I will polish and coat the car (first time).

TL/DR - just seal it for now as you wouldn't know what they would do with the car in their possession.

As Eugene said "extra stuff" will have to be dealt with....

vobro
08-19-2016, 07:19 AM
I would wait, every car I've had from a body shop has been loaded with overspray.

Hantra
08-19-2016, 07:21 AM
I would wait, every car I've had from a body shop has been loaded with overspray.

And does it usually come off easily when you clay? Never had to deal with it.

vobro
08-19-2016, 07:27 AM
Usually yes and I will add there will most likely be compound in every seam from the shop.

Paul A.
08-19-2016, 08:43 AM
Seems unanimous and i agree with waiting until the work is done. I also make sure the body shop understands my standards of acceptance after the work is done i.e. make sure they understand you won't put up with anything substandard. Not that it guarantees what you'll see when you pick it up but gives you some assurance the shop knows they're dealing with a discerning customer and might be at least a little more careful! Make sure they know you want absolutely ZERO sanding marks under the clear.

I think the feeling by some is "let me get a coating on it to protect it from what they might do". I've never seen that work and i've done some spot correction after body shop repairs.

Best of luck with the corrective "surgery", Hantra and let us know how you make out.

emmjay
08-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Seems unanimous and i agree with waiting until the work is done. I also make sure the body shop understands my standards of acceptance after the work is done i.e. make sure they understand you won't put up with anything substandard. Not that it guarantees what you'll see when you pick it up but gives you some assurance the shop knows they're dealing with a discerning customer and might be at least a little more careful! Make sure they know you want absolutely ZERO sanding marks under the clear.

I think the feeling by some is "let me get a coating on it to protect it from what they might do". I've never seen that work and i've done some spot correction after body shop repairs.

Best of luck with the corrective "surgery", Hantra and let us know how you make out.

I don't want to deviate from topic but - I noticed sanding marks on my rear bumper....Will it be easy to get off? I have a flex 3401, hybrid pads in all colors, UC, UP, M205 and Speed.