PDA

View Full Version : 2 Car Drying Questions

Blackdevil77
08-18-2016, 07:49 AM
Hello all. I have 2 quick car drying questions. My first question is, can you use a car drying aid with a ceramic coating such as Cquartz and if so, what drying aid is recommended? Second is, what blower do you guys recommend for drying the car? The Mckees piece looks nice and at $180 bucks, is relatively cheap compared to the master blaster. Is the master blaster "better" at blow drying a car and if so, is it worth the extra money? Currently I use a leaf blower but it's very awkward and obnoxiously loud. I would also like a more concentrated blast of air.

ronkh57
08-18-2016, 07:54 AM
Kenotek showroom shine or sonax brilliant shine detailer work great as drying aid.

I have the dp turbo dryer (new model is mckees) and it's great. Master blaster add's heat and more power, but needs 20amp breaker.

Setec Astronomy
08-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Yes, you can use a drying aid on a coating. It's likely that drying aid will temporarily alter the beading characteristics of the coating, but it shouldn't be for long, so use whatever one you like. (boy I'm sure a lot of people aren't going to agree with that one!)

There is some concern with the Master Blaster about the need for a 20-amp outlet; some people say they get away with a 15-amp by starting each motor separately, I sidestepped that by selecting the Air Force Blaster: The Metro Air Force Blaster is a multi-purpose motorcycle dryer and blower. Quickly dry your bike to prevent water spots with this lightweight Metro (http://www.autogeek.net/metairforbla.html)

There's also this one which I never noticed before, so it must be new: Metro Air Force Commander Car Dryer (http://www.autogeek.net/metro-compact-car-dryer.html)

But to be honest, I do so much rinseless washing now, I mostly have no need for a drying aid or a blower. I usually only do a conventional wash on wheels, which I dry with a cordless leaf blower (easier than lugging out the AF Blaster with its cord and hose).

Blackdevil77
08-18-2016, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the info. I have a 20 amp so I'm okay with that. I was curious if the master blasters power and drying ability was that much better than the other units to justify the extra cost.

Marc08EX
08-18-2016, 08:45 AM
Hi Blackdevil77,

Please read my review on the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer below:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/103718-review-mckees-37-turbo-car-dryer-comparison-master-blaster-sidekick.html

I answered some of your questions in my review. I showed how this dryer does on a coated vehicle. I also compared it against the Master Blaster (and the Sidekick too).

Blackdevil77
08-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Hi Blackdevil77,

Please read my review on the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer below:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/103718-review-mckees-37-turbo-car-dryer-comparison-master-blaster-sidekick.html

I answered some of your questions in my review. I showed how this dryer does on a coated vehicle. I also compared it against the Master Blaster (and the Sidekick too).

Thanks for the link! I read the whole thing, that helped me make a decision. Part of the reason I want to blow dry the car is to save some time, in addition to not marring up the paint. If the Master blaster is that annoying and cumbersome to use, then that negates the benefit of it's extra drying power IMO. It'll end up taking longer to dry the car because you have to waste time dragging that cylinder around. If they made it in backpack form, that would be fantastic.

WillSports3
08-18-2016, 10:37 AM
I'd suggest waterless/rinseless wash your car. With a coated car, nothing will stick to your car and it'll come right off much much easier. Plus I believe there was a post done on here in regardless to a rinseless wash where many people found it seemed to have much less risk with your car than say conventional two bucket and hose washing.

Marc08EX
08-18-2016, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the link! I read the whole thing, that helped me make a decision. Part of the reason I want to blow dry the car is to save some time, in addition to not marring up the paint. If the Master blaster is that annoying and cumbersome to use, then that negates the benefit of it's extra drying power IMO. It'll end up taking longer to dry the car because you have to waste time dragging that cylinder around. If they made it in backpack form, that would be fantastic.

Hope you found it helpful.

If you don't care about the canister tipping over, or the time setting the darn thing up then the master blaster might be OK for you. But keep in mind you need a 20A outlet for this. So that's an extra cost if you don't have one. I paid $125 to have one installed in my garage.

But I don't like scratching or damaging my master blaster so I didn't like dragging it around. I wall mounted mine but the 10ft hose becomes too short. The 30ft hose has a ridiculous price tag so all these reasons made me bench the MB.

I'd like to think of the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer as a Metro Sidekick with the power of a Master Blaster. It's the best of both worlds.

Blackdevil77
08-18-2016, 02:26 PM
I'd suggest waterless/rinseless wash your car. With a coated car, nothing will stick to your car and it'll come right off much much easier. Plus I believe there was a post done on here in regardless to a rinseless wash where many people found it seemed to have much less risk with your car than say conventional two bucket and hose washing.

Wow, really? I thought that waterless/rinseless wash stuff was oil for very lightly soiled paint or a light layer of dust. If a car is actually dirty with road grime, etc from driving the car, you can still use a rinseless/waterless wash procedure without scratching and marring up the paint?

Hope you found it helpful.

If you don't care about the canister tipping over, or the time setting the darn thing up then the master blaster might be OK for you. But keep in mind you need a 20A outlet for this. So that's an extra cost if you don't have one. I paid $125 to have one installed in my garage.

But I don't like scratching or damaging my master blaster so I didn't like dragging it around. I wall mounted mine but the 10ft hose becomes too short. The 30ft hose has a ridiculous price tag so all these reasons made me bench the MB.

I'd like to think of the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer as a Metro Sidekick with the power of a Master Blaster. It's the best of both worlds.

It definitely was helpful. I have a 20 amp outlet so that isn't a problem, but if it doesn't speed up the process or actually slows down the process, it's not of much help. The only way I would consider a Master Blaster over the Mckee's turbo car dryer is if it was truly better at drying the car. If the difference is negligible, I can't imagine why someone would spend the extra money on the Master Blaster.

Marc08EX
08-18-2016, 03:16 PM
It definitely was helpful. I have a 20 amp outlet so that isn't a problem, but if it doesn't speed up the process or actually slows down the process, it's not of much help. The only way I would consider a Master Blaster over the Mckee's turbo car dryer is if it was truly better at drying the car. If the difference is negligible, I can't imagine why someone would spend the extra money on the Master Blaster.

That's exactly the point I made in the review. The MB is 8HP but the McKee's is 6.5HP. Sure the 8HP is great but the 6.5HP is more than adequate for one's car drying needs.

Let us know how you like the McKee's! Now's the perfect time to order with the 20% off sale.

Blackdevil77
08-18-2016, 08:32 PM
That's exactly the point I made in the review. The MB is 8HP but the McKee's is 6.5HP. Sure the 8HP is great but the 6.5HP is more than adequate for one's car drying needs.

Let us know how you like the McKee's! Now's the perfect time to order with the 20% off sale.

Definitely will do! Can't wait to try it.

kevincwelch
08-20-2016, 08:58 AM
The 4+4 Master Blaster is pretty loud, especially when forcing air into the crevices.

As far as the 20amp breaker goes, I use a 15amp circuit, but I have to start each motor separately. Occasionally, the breaker trips though.

So, I'd say the 20amp circuit would be better, but you can get away with the 15.

In terms of drying ability and power, the Master Blaster is awesome.

Sent via my mobile device...