PDA

View Full Version : 1" or 2" pads with PC 7424x?

BigPoppa
08-17-2016, 08:45 PM
I have a 7424x that has become my backup, and I'd like to use it for headlights & other tight spots. I just bought the Headlight & Spot Repair Kit ( Meguiars Headlight & Spot Repair Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-pro-spot-repair-kit.html) ) , which came with 3" sandpaper discs, pads, and backing plate.

On my very first headlight, I noticed even the 3" pads & discs had trouble getting into the corners without risking the paint (had several layers of tape, but was still worried that the sandpaper could rip through).

Does anyone use a 1" or 2" backing plate on the 7424? If not possible with the PC, would I need to get the tiny GG polisher just for this use?

Thanks

LSNAutoDetailing
08-17-2016, 08:48 PM
No, that small with that machine will generate too much heat buildup.

Rupes Nano would be a better application.

Right tool for the right job....

Goose
08-17-2016, 09:07 PM
I have a 7424x that has become my backup, and I'd like to use it for headlights & other tight spots. I just bought the Headlight & Spot Repair Kit ( Meguiars Headlight & Spot Repair Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-pro-spot-repair-kit.html) ) , which came with 3" sandpaper discs, pads, and backing plate.

On my very first headlight, I noticed even the 3" pads & discs had trouble getting into the corners without risking the paint (had several layers of tape, but was still worried that the sandpaper could rip through).

Does anyone use a 1" or 2" backing plate on the 7424? If not possible with the PC, would I need to get the tiny GG polisher just for this use?

Thanks

You can use 1" and 2" pads on a PC. I have the set up: a D.A. Adapter 5/8 inch x 11, a Rotary backing plate extension, a FLEX 1" rotary backing plate, 1" Mini Hybrid Foam pads... I got all of this on Autogeek. YES, to the fact that it will build up heat and you need to be very careful/mindful while using it, but it does in fact work Very well for all those small areas that you can never fit a larger pad in. So the Rupes Nano is not the only option, just a safer one.

choijw2
08-17-2016, 09:36 PM
I have used 2" on PC and it was hard.

Mainly due to such a tiny pad on bulky machine.

I used to do tight corners with hand, but now I use Mckeeys 37 aio headlight polish with short purple foamed wool pad with drill bit attachment and I can get into corners pretty easy with right angle

BigPoppa
08-17-2016, 09:40 PM
Rupes Nano looks terrific, but am not in a position to spend that much right now.

Right now I'd just be using the 1" pads to get the corners of headlights. So could be extra careful not to let anything heat up too much.

Crispy
08-17-2016, 09:51 PM
I've tried it and very hard to keep pad flush with surface (2" pad with 5 lbs of machine is hard to keep stable). I ended up doing these areas by hand. I just got the Rupes Nano so now that is the tool for small pads. I did have some success with a flexible shaft on a drill but it was clunky (reavlly could have used a third hand to use the trigger on the drill).

Vg247
08-18-2016, 09:34 PM
You can use 1" and 2" pads on a PC. I have the set up: a D.A. Adapter 5/8 inch x 11, a Rotary backing plate extension, a FLEX 1" rotary backing plate, 1" Mini Hybrid Foam pads... I got all of this on Autogeek. YES, to the fact that it will build up heat and you need to be very careful/mindful while using it, but it does in fact work Very well for all those small areas that you can never fit a larger pad in. So the Rupes Nano is not the only option, just a safer one.

I just purchased all the above from AG as well and look forward to doing the A pillars , decklid, and smaller areas with them on my DA PC machine. If there are any pros and cons with the outcome once I get to use this set up, I'll definitely share here

Goose
08-18-2016, 09:46 PM
I just purchased all the above from AG as well and look forward to doing the A pillars , decklid, and smaller areas with them on my DA PC machine. If there are any pros and cons with the outcome once I get to use this set up, I'll definitely share here

You'll like it, just be careful, and please share your opinions about it. It can be hard to control and keep the pad flat on the paint but it will work. I just recently did some pillars and painted trim around some windows and it worked very well.

Vg247
08-19-2016, 03:50 AM
You'll like it, just be careful, and please share your opinions about it. It can be hard to control and keep the pad flat on the paint but it will work. I just recently did some pillars and painted trim around some windows and it worked very well.

Thanks Goose, will do. For some reason my notification settings are on for the thread subscriptions but not getting emails telling me there are new posts...

Mike Phillips
08-19-2016, 06:55 AM
I have used 2" on PC and it was hard.

Mainly due to such a tiny pad on bulky machine.

The term is Tippy

When buffing horizontal panels with large tool and tiny pads the tool can be tippy with all that weight and bulk over the top of a tiny pad. At least when working on horizontal panels as a person tends to use the weight of the machine to apply pressure and with small pads you have to be careful as the weight of the machine is enough to compress the pads.

It's less of an issue on vertical panels because you naturally support the weight of the machine.

I used to do tight corners with hand

There's always going to be a time and place where working by hand is both efficient and handy.

:)

Paul A.
08-19-2016, 08:53 AM
The smallest i have needed has been 2" pads on my rotary and they work great. Just for giggles i fashioned a 1 and 3/4" bp out of an old DA backing plate and tried it to finish out after my rotary. I didn't like it and know exactly what Mike's talking about with the "tippy" analogy. I will say that i tried it and didn't like the feel of that small of a pad on my PC but you might feel differently.

I use the hand method to get right up to my taped edges.