PDA

View Full Version : Business owners, what is the minimum you would charge on a vehicles in your area?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bill1234
08-17-2016, 07:31 PM
People I know are believing that for example, if you had a suburban sized suv, and are not offering any sort of paint correction,but are applying an lsp, you could make money under 250 dollars. I personally felt that it is too low to actually make money or enough for a good profit lets say and you would need to charge at around 300 but maybe my quoting is a bit high? Im just basing it off my area and what is needed such as labor and supplies.

For other vehicles too, how low do you really go or stay at?

This is not me price shopping in any way, its just to create discussion and also to have some who are not understanding detailing how much actually goes into the work. Im not too great at having others understand what really im doing so maybe you could also help me in that area?

asap2stacks
08-17-2016, 07:37 PM
If I'm doing a paint correction of a xl SUV I'm charging around $800.00 to $1000.00

For just a normal full detail I charge $300.00 to $350.00

asap2stacks
08-17-2016, 07:40 PM
But at the end of the day it's all about how good your work is... How much effort you put into your details. It takes me 7 hours to do a full detail on a full size SUV. If I'm doing a PC I'll ask to hold the vehicle for 2 to 3 days and take my time and make sure everything is 100% before customer picks up.

Bill1234
08-17-2016, 07:45 PM
If I'm doing a paint correction of a xl SUV I'm charging around $800.00 to $1000.00

For just a normal full detail I charge $300.00 to $350.00

I dont have a standalone shop and im not full time but I feel im just as competent as others.Maybe not you specifically but im just saying to those I know not every detail is the same and you need to price it out accordingly.

Mike lambert
08-17-2016, 07:51 PM
Nothing comes in my shop for less than 475 for a wax finish. Coatings start at double that and go up to $2500

Bill1234
08-17-2016, 07:58 PM
Nothing comes in my shop for less than 475 for a wax finish. Coatings start at double that and go up to $2500

See that is where im a bit confused with those I know. You are in MD, im in CT right near the heart of NYC. Top dollar will come from that market and my feeling was that I would give them a bit of a discount for the work but not much. 250 I feel is fair enough and is as low as I would go but some think thats too high not knowing anything about detailing.

ronkh57
08-17-2016, 08:08 PM
See that is where im a bit confused with those I know. You are in MD, im in CT right near the heart of NYC. Top dollar will come from that market and my feeling was that I would give them a bit of a discount for the work but not much. 250 I feel is fair enough and is as low as I would go but some think thats too high not knowing anything about detailing.

In the Fairfield/Danbury area you ae competing with ever 99.00 car wash detail and those who think their vehicles are worth more will go to dealers.

Yo uneed to do some customer education.

Bill1234
08-17-2016, 08:11 PM
In the Fairfield/Danbury area you ae competing with ever 99.00 car wash detail and those who think their vehicles are worth more will go to dealers.

However, there are people who will take their car to a separate detail location. I do not understand what I need to educate myself about if I can only see that they are not willing to go to someone like me or an actual detail oriented shop

oboroballa03
08-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Yea a lot of people think the dealership is the best place to go for everything. I am from owensboro kentucky and you get people offering full details for 80 or 100 dollars all the time and so the customers always say so and so can do it for this. Example this lady called me 2 or 3 times trying to get me to go down and i finally told her "i am not wal mart i am not price matching, if you want to compare prices you have to compare quality and there is no comparison." I tried to be nice but i was tired of it and finally said if you want to agree with my price you can call me back thanks and have a nice day.

oboroballa03
08-17-2016, 08:23 PM
I get all of my business by word of mouth i do not advertise but i do it on the side as a hobby more less so maybe get some customers talking and spreading your name ....word of mouth is the best advertisement

Bill1234
08-17-2016, 08:28 PM
Basically another part of my point. Everyones idea of a detail is different and I offer a good amount of work for 250 dollars but cannot go lower than that for revenue purposes. I explained that too with others. A chain of car washes offering a 150 dollar detail is using multiple layers of glaze and other fillers for 150 while I would personally do the best job without paint correction. Then again they arent the best either detail wise. I can discount for friends and family a bit or free when I want to but not for the regular customer.

ronkh57
08-17-2016, 08:29 PM
However, there are people who will take their car to a separate detail location. I do not understand what I need to educate myself about if I can only see that they are not willing to go to someone like me or an actual detail oriented shop

I didn't say you needed to be educated. You customer does.........

That is your 'sales" job, then the tech job is to do it.
The business owners job is to make sure you deliver more than you promise, and make sure customer is happy.

all of those being you

Bill1234
08-17-2016, 08:29 PM
I get all of my business by word of mouth i do not advertise but i do it on the side as a hobby more less so maybe get some customers talking and spreading your name ....word of mouth is the best advertisement

well that is how I get business. Instagram and word of mouth. Works well

Bill1234
08-17-2016, 08:35 PM

I just thought you said you need to do some customer education here but no worries, customers dont really understand, they just balk at a price not a plan

RonAlv
08-17-2016, 09:03 PM
I charged $250 to detail this 03 Nissan Quest.eyecandyautodetail (http://www.eyecandyautodetailing.com/#!2003-nissan-quest/w2w39) and the customer was so happy with the outcome, they threw in a $50 dollar tip. I had no more than $35 dollars in chemicals and buffing pads and 7 total hours of labor in it.
I do not really do not advertise, strictly by word of mouth, and my work speaks pretty well about the work I do. I would say, charge what you think is a fair price, and the customer either takes it, or leaves it.