PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at claying...what did I do wrong?

Pages : [1] 2

RamFishTruck
08-16-2016, 11:13 PM
Hi Mike...great info here! I have a 2014 Ram truck in a rare black gold pearl color...kind of a metallic root beer that changes color depending on how the light hits it. I generally take pretty good care of it. Wash it regularly by hand only and wax by hand several times per year with McGuires products. I had my vehicle clayed, polished, and waxed by a professional detailer shortly after buying it knowing it was subject to the rail dust and what not being an ordered vehicle. It had not been clayed again until this past weekend by myself. I used the McGuires Clay kit with the QD, clay, and microfiber towel. So I followed the instructions to the T except for the micro fiber towel as I ended up using a cotton terry cloth towel as I find it removes QD ad wax off the surface better imo. I have used QD before and while it can look nice I found I had a hard time getting it completely removed from the surface which may be some or all of my problem post claying.

So...on to my issue. I washed and dryed my truck used the QD for the clay lube all over the vehicle. It worked very well I thought. Tried a microfiber towel but noticed I couldn't get the QD completely off the vehicle so I started using the terry cloth as I noted above...seemed to work better. I noticed on the kit box it did not mention anything else that needed done but I had plans of doing a polish and wax in a 2nd and 3rd step. So I did the polish with McGuires Ultimate polishing glaze and that seemed to work well. Did one section at a time and wiped it off before it dried as instructions stated. I never really saw much polish come off on my rag like wax would so assumed that was normal. Next step I used McGuires Carnauba Plus wax something I've used before and liked.

The truck was as smooth and shiny and slick as I've ever seen it! Thought everything was right on the money...until I caught it in the right light the next day. If you get it in the right angle you can see these consistent wet looking tiny little wet spots all over the entire vehicle. It's not like just a spot I missed wiping it's everywhere and consistently across the surface like it was hit with tiny rain specks almost. Don't know if it was from trying to polish over the top of the QD or if I just used too much (a little less than a bottle for a full size 4 door truck with a full canopy)QD or what? Like I mentioned I have had trouble removing that QD from my truck before. My buddy at work swears on the stuff but he has a light silver color. My vehicle looks black in low light. Anyway, your thoughts and others are welcomed!

RamFishTruck
08-17-2016, 09:40 PM
Bump...after driving home from work today I got out and looked at the surface closely again. All those little grease spots on the paint were getting dust/road grime stuck to them. It made the surface feel 10 times worse than before I clayed the truck. i couldn't look at it another day and went ahead and just washed it. Definitely something went wrong in my previous wash, clay, polish, and wax process the other day.

rbss
08-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Missed the last part trying to read all that with no glasses. Maybe to much product hard to tell without pictures. So did the re washing the truck remove the grease spots?

:postpics:

RamFishTruck
08-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Wiping with a cotton terry cloth could cause some issues. Clay itself can cause marring as well. Post some pics!

:postpics: I took a couple before I washed it off today. I'll try and post them up...

RamFishTruck
08-17-2016, 10:19 PM
Some strange looking pics because of the bright sun and the reflection and shine on the truck. Even with the spots, the shine was intense! Obviously I need some help in the photo editing dept as well...

Mantilgh
08-17-2016, 10:44 PM
It sounds really odd, "you can see these consistent wet looking tiny little wet spots all over the entire vehicle".

The polish, even if done by hand, should have removed the QD.

Maybe you just drove through something, or some lovely person dumped their coffee or soda out the window.

Did you dress the tires after you were done?

Edit: I see what you mean, at least on the closer ones.

All over the vehicle?

RamFishTruck
08-17-2016, 11:07 PM
It sounds really odd, "you can see these consistent wet looking tiny little wet spots all over the entire vehicle".

The polish, even if done by hand, should have removed the QD.

Maybe you just drove through something, or some lovely person dumped their coffee or soda out the window.

Did you dress the tires after you were done?

Edit: I see what you mean, at least on the closer ones.

All over the vehicle?

The 4th picture posted is on my hood so yea all over the vehicle. I actually noticed it first before the vehicle ever moved but the first pic that looks kind of dirty is down behind my back tire so was probably the effect from the spots hanging on to what ever I drove through. I'm more than certain though it was all over the vehicle before it ever moved. I've tried to find some answers online and I'm just getting more confused. I read something that if the polish dried at all before getting it off that could possibly cause it. It was pretty hot that day...upper 80's but I was in the shade in my garage so not sure.

CanyonCarver
08-17-2016, 11:12 PM
Could it be that you have had etched in water spots for a long time and just never looked at just that perfect angle to notice before now?

I had them so bad I had to use a compound and still didn't get them completely my first attempt. No one would ever notice them, you have to be looking at just the right angle to light source to see them, but once I noticed they bug the hell outta me.

AZpolisher15
08-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Am I correct in assuming the spots didn't come off with a wash?
How about with a little more QD and a towel?
What is the name of the QD you were using?
Are the spots uniform in appearance on the entire vehicle (horizontal/vertical panels, at the bottom of the doors)?
on the chrome or rims?
Equal appearance/distribution on driver/passenger sides? Glass?
Did any QD have a chance to dry before being wiped off?

AZpolisher15
08-17-2016, 11:18 PM
Were you polishing by hand?

RamFishTruck
08-17-2016, 11:24 PM
Were you polishing by hand? yes, 1 section at a time. Noticeably less time than I would wait to take off wax. I was removing that section before I started another. I didn't see much coming off on the rag though but it was my first time using a designated polish so not sure what that means.

RamFishTruck
08-17-2016, 11:33 PM
Could it be that you have had etched in water spots for a long time and just never looked at just that perfect angle to notice before now?

I had them so bad I had to use a compound and still didn't get them completely my first attempt. No one would ever notice them, you have to be looking at just the right angle to light source to see them, but once I noticed they bug the hell outta me.

I don't think so. I would have noticed that before...

Am I correct in assuming the spots didn't come off with a wash?
How about with a little more QD and a towel?
What is the name of the QD you were using?
Are the spots uniform in appearance on the entire vehicle (horizontal/vertical panels, at the bottom of the doors)?
on the chrome or rims?
Equal appearance/distribution on driver/passenger sides? Glass?
Did any QD have a chance to dry before being wiped off?

I just washed it this evening and although it was starting to get dark by the time I was done I think they came out. I'll check it over good tomorrow. The spots were consistent in size and distributed all over the vehicle from what I could tell. It almost looked like it was hit with a sticky rain mist. I was using the Meguires QD that comes in their clay kit...red/purple bottle. Don't see it on the glass, plastic or trim to speak of but I was pretty careful where I sprayed it. It is possible that some of it may have dried a little before being completely wiped off...not sure. Don't think it was the case all the way around though.

RamFishTruck
08-18-2016, 11:31 PM
I don't think so. I would have noticed that before...

I just washed it this evening and although it was starting to get dark by the time I was done I think they came out. I'll check it over good tomorrow. The spots were consistent in size and distributed all over the vehicle from what I could tell. It almost looked like it was hit with a sticky rain mist. I was using the Meguires QD that comes in their clay kit...red/purple bottle. Don't see it on the glass, plastic or trim to speak of but I was pretty careful where I sprayed it. It is possible that some of it may have dried a little before being completely wiped off...not sure. Don't think it was the case all the way around though.

Confirming the spots did come off after washing yesterday. Looks like the only harm was losing a little of the shine and wax from needing to wash so soon. Hoping Mike can chime in here so I don't have to repeat this result the next time I try this...

TheAverageMan
08-19-2016, 12:57 AM
Is your car kept outside? Ive had similar stuff when I leave the car outside during my night shift, cause dew formed on the car and dried up in the morning after getting some dust or dirt on it, causing the somewhat droplet spotting.

RamFishTruck
08-19-2016, 05:17 AM
Is your car kept outside? Ive had similar stuff when I leave the car outside during my night shift, cause dew formed on the car and dried up in the morning after getting some dust or dirt on it, causing the somewhat droplet spotting. No, it is kept in my garage and was also detailed in my garage. After doing some more reading I'm leaning more towards the polish being the issue and not the QD. It was a hot day even in the garage. Even though I was only doing one section at at a time it was drying very fast. I'm wondering if I just couldn't get all the polish off the vehicle?