PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning flat black?

Mydnyghte
10-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I tried searching and did not come up with anything, so here I go.

A couple places on my car; the trunk panel, front chin spoiler, are painted in a flat or matte black. Its been not quite a year, and its starting to show water marks and spots where bugs have decided to end their lives. The entire car gets washed regularly, but I wanted to see if there was a product/way to clean these areas up without giving them a shine.

Thoughts or suggestions would be great:D

wytstang
10-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Maybe Poorboys World Bug Squash
Poorboy’s Bug Squash: Removes bug remains, even Love Bugs, from car windshields and front bumpers. bug remover, pooboys bug remover (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-bug-squash.html)
About the only thing I can think of that can remove some bugs and water spots (depending on ratio mixed) with out fear of harsh chemicals contacting the paint and not adding shine to flat black.

Jimmie
10-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Maybe Poorboys World Bug Squash
Poorboy’s Bug Squash: Removes bug remains, even Love Bugs, from car windshields and front bumpers. bug remover, pooboys bug remover (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-bug-squash.html)
About the only thing I can think of that can remove some bugs and water spots (depending on ratio mixed) with out fear of harsh chemicals contacting the paint and not adding shine to flat black.

:iagree:. Good stuff.

Mydnyghte
10-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Cool, so 2 votes for the Poor Boys stuff:cheers:

jesselyons2002
10-29-2007, 06:01 AM
Mother's Back to black. Says on the bottle you can use it on flat black paint.

fast01gt
10-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Mother's Back to black. Says on the bottle you can use it on flat black paint.

I can confirm this, I have used it on a friends '06 Daytona Charger (Flat Black Spoiler) and it worked great.

Mydnyghte
10-29-2007, 01:51 PM
I have Back to Black, I use it on all the black surfaces in the engine compartment. It gives everything a good look, but its not exactly what I am wanting on the exterior parts. The water marks are mainly what I am wanting to eliminate.

ScottB
10-29-2007, 04:40 PM
flat black paint can be treated just as you would regular clear coated paint. The difference is the pigment. So paint polishes and wax are a good idea. One problem with matte surfaces, they seem to amplify any correction needed.

Mydnyghte
10-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Oh that sounds perfect. I had thought about taking some polish to it, but I was not sure how it would come out. Excellent, I will give that a whirl.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen:righton: