PDA

View Full Version : What do you think this is??

MIsnowman
08-15-2016, 03:11 PM
I recently tried out McKees High Gloss detailing spray to remove some light dust from my truck and after wiping it off, I noticed these small white specs on the paint. I can't say for sure whether they were there prior to the detail spray but I don't think so. What do you think this is? To me it looks like little paint specks, but the surface is smooth. I've only tried Megs D114 and that didn't change anything. I'm thinking claying won't remove anything either since the surface feels slick/smooth. Would trying clay or a nano mitt be the next logical approach? Could something in the detail spray have caused this? It's only on the passenger side of the bed, mostly just above the wheel.

Sizzle Chest
08-15-2016, 03:32 PM
It's not overspray? Looks like it. Try claying a small area and see if that removes any of it. Keep us posted! (No, I do not feel the DS caused this, IMO)

SKorch630
08-15-2016, 06:26 PM
Looks like overspray to me

MIsnowman
08-15-2016, 06:26 PM
Thank you both for the fast replies. If it is overspray I don't know where it came from. I know it wasn't there the previous time that I washed and waxed the truck. I will try claying and see if that takes it off.

PaulMys
08-15-2016, 06:38 PM
Yup, looks like overspray. Has the road crew done any repainting of the white lines on the sides of the roads you drive on?

Just judging by it being on the passenger side. Just a theory.

ronkh57
08-15-2016, 06:39 PM
Thank you both for the fast replies. If it is overspray I don't know where it came from. I know it wasn't there the previous time that I washed and waxed the truck. I will try claying and see if that takes it off.

Sap?

MIsnowman
08-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Quick update...

I tried clay and a nano skin mitt and neither seemed to remove anything. I tried polishing a small area with Rupes Polish and a yellow pad and it quickly removed most of whatever this is on the paint. I was short on time and I plan on using a coating before winter, so I think I will wait to polish the rest until I do the prep for the coating. Not sure why the clay wouldn't take it off, but at least I know it will come off Fairly easily.

PaulMys
08-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Good to know. Still would like to know what the hell got on your truck though. :/

TTQ B4U
08-17-2016, 11:44 PM
wild guess only because I saw them recently.....are you in an area where the city is using planes to drop mosquito spray or anything?

MIsnowman
08-19-2016, 05:09 PM
wild guess only because I saw them recently.....are you in an area where the city is using planes to drop mosquito spray or anything?

Not sure about the mosquito spray, but there are tons of businesses running sprinkler systems with the dry weather we are having. I try to stay away from them, but one morning the other lane was closed and I had to drive right by them. Do you think this could be from sprinkler water? I don't think it is sap b/c I park in a wide open parking lot and it goes right in the garage when I get home. I would like to figure out what it is to keep it from happening in the future.