PDA

View Full Version : Do you wash your car if it's going to rain?

Pages : [1] 2

voidpointer
08-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Hello everyone,

I live in McKinney, TX and looks like it's going to be rainy for the next 7 days or so. Normally I wash my car every 1-2 weeks on the weekend. But if I know it's going to rain for the whole week, is it worth washing it? Or should I just wait until the forecast looks more promising (i.e. wash next week)?

dchristo
08-13-2016, 09:58 AM
I just got through washing and waxing ( hydr02 ) my Jeep it has rained for the past week and 80 percent chance today and tomorrow

but I keep it under a carport

TTQ B4U
08-13-2016, 10:00 AM
I only wash if it's going to stay clean for 2-3 days. Otherwise to me it's a waste of time. I'm okay with that as a fully corrected and polished car still shines through nicer and looks better than those around that are not. So it's essentially still the best looking dirty one out there :)

I also embrace the rain and bad weather as I'm a car enthusiast and I can still lay down the power in nearly all conditions. :xyxthumbs: It's one of the main reasons I chose my car. The CTS-V and M4 were on the list but in Ohio they are only fun 50% of the time.

It's Quattro Season: Fun .gif image

JeffM
08-13-2016, 10:00 AM
It rains because I wash it.

kevincwelch
08-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Yes. Sometimes there is accumulated dirt on the car that just needs to be cleaned off. At other times I like to wash and throw on a little extra product (spray wax or sealant). But, I'll admit that although careful, I am not as thorough if it is going to rain the next day. Sometimes a good steady downpour for a few days is a wash by itself!

Sent via my mobile device...

Eldorado2k
08-13-2016, 10:10 AM
I get a bigger kick out of laying down a fresh coat of sealant just prior to rainy weather. It gives me piece of mind that my cars paint has an optimum level of protection going in..
Plus I like to stand there for a second and admire the beading just before getting into my car.:)

cyclops
08-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Depends how dirty the car is. If it has been through a bug storm or covered by dirt from a trip through the desert then yes. Can't stand bugs covering the front of my vehicle and even thought gunk will get kicked up from driving in the rain it will still be better than not washing at all.

FUNX650
08-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Washing a car? Fuggedaboutit!!

Unless they get rained upon...
my vehicles would never even
get wet.

Bob

MIsnowman
08-13-2016, 10:58 AM
I wash my truck when I think it's getting too dirty regardless of the weather forecast. I never put much faith in the weather forecast anyway, it seems they're wrong more than they're right.

kevin_1981
08-13-2016, 11:04 AM
I usually just assume that the day after I wash it, its going to rain. It always happens. But really, it depends how dirty it is, and how much i can take it.

BM1024
08-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Yes. Living in AZ it's a constant battle with dust on the vehicle. If I know it's going to rain, I will certainly give it at least a good rinse so any dust doesn't turn to mud. Then usually that "rinse" turns into, "Well, since I'm here I might as well do the whole thing and add a layer of wax because, you know, uh acid rain. Yeah. YES HONEY, I'LL BE INSIDE IN A BIT! JUST WANT TO FINISH THIS ONE LITTLE THING...."

PA DETAILER
08-13-2016, 11:24 AM
Just did. LOL. They were calling for a chance of a storm today, and several Sunday. Washed this morning. Quick storm just passed thru. Figure it gets it every weeknd no matter. After 250 miles a week, gets the bugs off, interior cleaned etc. And if it sits all weekend and does not move, the rain usually dries right up without spotting.

AutowerxDetailing
08-13-2016, 11:33 AM
I live in Oregon. Many times I was my car IN the rain. Hydro2 is nice because I can top up some protection even in a downpour.

Dereksdtail
08-13-2016, 12:04 PM
I will because usually that's the only time I have to wash my own vehicle😭

brettS4
08-13-2016, 01:48 PM
I only wash if it's going to stay clean for 2-3 days. Otherwise to me it's a waste of time. I'm okay with that as a fully corrected and polished car still shines through nicer and looks better than those around that are not. So it's essentially still the best looking dirty one out there :)

I also embrace the rain and bad weather as I'm a car enthusiast and I can still lay down the power in nearly all conditions. :xyxthumbs: It's one of the main reasons I chose my car. The CTS-V and M4 were on the list but in Ohio they are only fun 50% of the time.

It's Quattro Season: Fun .gif image

Everything he said. ;)