PDA

View Full Version : An Ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of Cure......

Cliffnopus
08-12-2016, 02:39 PM
There are a lot of posts on re-surfacing the fairly new plastic covered headlights. How about preventing the hazing from happening at all?

What does everyone use to 'coat' or otherwise protect your headlights. On my old car and my new Merc I've been using Plexus Plastic Cleaner, Protectant & Polish. How about the rest of you folks??

Sizzle Chest
08-12-2016, 04:04 PM
I've used Plexus before. Good stuff. Like it. Now all of mine are ceramic coated!

FUNX650
08-12-2016, 04:12 PM
What does everyone use to 'coat' or
otherwise protect your headlights?
Probably not everyone...
But this provides fantastic protection:
XPEL Headlight Protection Kit, Xpel headlight film, x-pel headlight protection film (http://www.autogeek.net/xpel-headlight-protection.html)

Bob

oneheadlite
08-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Probably not everyone...
But this provides fantastic protection:
XPEL Headlight Protection Kit, Xpel headlight film, x-pel headlight protection film (http://www.autogeek.net/xpel-headlight-protection.html)

Bob

I just recently put new lights in my car (thanks Bambi's dad...) and had film applied before installing them. I hadn't thought about the U/V aspect of protection before having the film put on - In theory would the film take the brunt of the U/V damage and save the lenses, or will the new lights be just as susceptible to yellowing as they would have been "naked"?

Mike@ShineStruck
08-12-2016, 05:43 PM
I add a ceramic coating to my headlights, then top it every wash with BF rubber/plastic AIO

FUNX650
08-12-2016, 06:14 PM
I just recently put new lights in my car
(thanks Bambi's dad...) and had film
applied before installing them. I hadn't
thought about the U/V aspect of protection
before having the film put on -

In theory would the film take the brunt
of the U/V damage and save the lenses,

or will the new lights be just as susceptible
to yellowing as they would have been "naked"?
Not to worry:
XPel's headlamp protection film (HPF)
has UV inhibitors to prevent discoloration.

And being that XPel's HPF is 30 mils thick:
It'll prevent the "sandblasting/pitting"...
(that happens to naked-headlamps)...from
road salt/debris/sand/small stones/etc.

Bob

spazzz
08-12-2016, 06:44 PM
Coated with Opti-lens and Opti-seal during every dry

frankprozzoly
08-12-2016, 06:45 PM
I just use wax but the xpel film sounds interesting. How difficult is application. My headlights would probably be an easy install but the turn signal lights are sort of shaped like a doughnut

oneheadlite
08-12-2016, 07:42 PM
Coated with Opti-lens and Opti-seal during every dry

I also got Opti-seal to use as a drying aid to help add a little SPF. Figure every little bit helps.

PaulMys
08-12-2016, 08:11 PM
I've used 845 on my lenses since my truck was new.

They still look new.

TTQ B4U
08-12-2016, 09:27 PM
I'm with Bob and have the entire front of my car coated with Film. In my case I have an installer that prefers Premium Shield Elite. Top notch crystal clear film. It's on my paint and Headlights. Crystal clear and no worries of aging or yellowing of the headlights.