PDA

View Full Version : 2 Month Old 2016 RAV4 Black Trim Staining Issues

Pages : [1] 2

TJinFL
08-12-2016, 02:29 PM
​Less than 2 months ago I got a new 2016 RAV4. It's color is silver sky metallic and there is black trim around the entire lower body. Previously I had been using Klasse AOI and then applying Collinite 476s as a final coat. So I immediately did my car with these products. Now I was not careful about not getting the Collinite 476s on the trim. Several weeks ago I began noticing whitish stain on the black trim.

I have some 303 Aero and put it on the trim but the staining came back through. Finally I thoroughly cleaned the trim with Dawn and then IPO and the stains are mostly gone.

I am probably going to start treating the black trim with WETS.

But my real question is what polish and wax can I used to polish the car and not have to worry about getting it on all the black trim?

During this time period I had pretty much decided to swap the 476s for Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, but I believe that will stain the trim.

I am considering Pinnacle Sovereign or Signature Series, but do I really want to start using $60/jar wax?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cliffnopus
08-12-2016, 02:32 PM
I am considering Pinnacle Sovereign or Signature Series, but do I really want to start using $60/jar wax?

How about the Souveran Liquid Wax, it's alittle cheaper?

custmsprty
08-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Tape it up before polishing.

conman1395
08-12-2016, 03:12 PM
​Less than 2 months ago I got a new 2016 RAV4. It's color is silver sky metallic and there is black trim around the entire lower body. Previously I had been using Klasse AOI and then applying Collinite 476s as a final coat. So I immediately did my car with these products. Now I was not careful about not getting the Collinite 476s on the trim. Several weeks ago I began noticing whitish stain on the black trim.

I have some 303 Aero and put it on the trim but the staining came back through. Finally I thoroughly cleaned the trim with Dawn and then IPO and the stains are mostly gone.

I am probably going to start treating the black trim with WETS.

But my real question is what polish and wax can I used to polish the car and not have to worry about getting it on all the black trim?

During this time period I had pretty much decided to swap the 476s for Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, but I believe that will stain the trim.

You need to tape up your trim before polishing. Other than that, I haven't ever used a wax or sealant that has stained trim that's a quality product. For something that lasts long that includes Duragloss 105 (recommend using it with 601), Blackfire Wet Diamond, Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid or Paste Wax (much more like a very durable sealant), and others. That list includes products that don't cost much at all yet still look amazing amd have decent longevity. I've gotten 8 months out of the Duragloss 105/601 combo. I actually use Duragloss 105 to clean trim.

Also to keep in mind: any product you get will last you YEARS if you apply it correctly with a DA. I probably don't even use 1.5 oz covering an average size car. And I don't think you should bother buying a jar of Pinnacle either, it's not meant for a daily driver like a RAV4 where durability is your biggest concern.

If I had to recommend a product, I would choose getting Duragloss 105 and 601. Research it well here in the forums and you'll find it's a favorite. I mentioned I use it to clean trim, but I also love using it in glass as well. If you want something that still lasts a while and has greater cleaning ability then I would also suggest Duragloss 501.

TJinFL
08-12-2016, 03:50 PM
Will Klasse AIO stain my black trim? If so is there an AIO that won't?

I find myself balking at the idea of taping up the trim. I have black trim 360 degrees around the lower perimeter of my car.

I watched a lot of Darren Priest videos and he doesn't seem to tape but use products which won't mar the finish of black trim.

RTexasF
08-12-2016, 04:33 PM
The best advice you can receive has been given.......a line of tape (or two) on the junction of the paint and the black plastic below it. It's not difficult and will save you a world of hassle. There are products sold at most Auto/big box stores that will not stain trim but their durability is questionable. I can't name them here because they are not sold here.

You need a quality product for the paint, tape, and a separate quality product for the black plastic cladding for durability. By doing so you won't have to do it as often.

Eldorado2k
08-12-2016, 04:36 PM
If this thread was about Nu Finish, it'd be getting ripped to shreds right about now.😁Lol.

GSKR
08-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Either tape or buy some carpro hydro 2 or Gyeon wet coat or ps21 wax which deosnt stain,or just don't wax to close to the trim.

vobro
08-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Tape it off, better to prevent than fix later. It shouldn't take but 10 minutes at most to tape it off

DavidAl
08-12-2016, 09:37 PM
I've used both those products and neither one have stained my trim. And I, like you, have trim 360 (Subaru Crosstrek). The key is to get it off as soon as it gets on the trim.

TJinFL
08-13-2016, 05:47 AM
DavidAl I'm sorry but which two products were you referring to?

pickles
08-13-2016, 10:37 AM
If its a sealant you want then try WG deep gloss poly sealant. The spray stuff is pretty durable also.

DavidAl
08-13-2016, 04:27 PM
DavidAl I'm sorry but which two products were you referring to?

The Klasse AIO and 476.

AZpolisher15
08-13-2016, 04:27 PM
I think I have decided what I am going to do.

I have a coat of Collinite 476s on the vehicle. My trim seems to be cleaned up from the white stains.

Today I did a quick dry wash using a high quality German synthetic chamois. A technique I learned RVing out West a number of years ago. Then I covered the vehicle with Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax. Black trim and all. The black trim seems to like this stuff. I may switch to Meguiar's Synthetic Express Wax which I believe is the same thing and comes in larger quanities, but the other is pretty reasonable.

So do the UQW every 2 or 3 weeks and put on a new base layer every 6 to 12 months. Klasse AIO followed either by 476s or Klasse HG Sealant or maybe the WG deep gloss sealant. Or possibly Pinacle Sovereign liquid wax.

Darren Priest has a black Denali which he has maintained only by doing UQW for something like 6 years as of his video and it looks great. Good enough for me.

So that is the plan. For now the marred black trim is becoming a distant memory. Although I will certainly be cautious when it comes time to wax. I don't think the Klasse AOI stained the trim. It was the 476s.

Sounds like a good plan. But I'd simply switch to products that are proven to NOT stain trim to avoid any worries all together. There are plenty to try, many of which will actually enhance/protect your trim at the same time.

TJinFL
08-13-2016, 04:29 PM
I think I have decided what I am going to do.

I already have a coat of Collinite 476s on the vehicle. My trim seems to be cleaned up from the white stains with the dawn and IPO treatments.

Today I did a quick wash using a wet high quality German synthetic chamois. A technique I learned RVing out West a number of years ago. Then I covered the vehicle with Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax. Black trim and all. The black trim seems to like this stuff. I may switch to Meguiar's Synthetic Express Wax which I believe is the same thing and comes in larger quantities, but the other is pretty reasonable.

So do the UQW every 2 or 3 weeks and put on a new base layer every 6 to 12 months. Klasse AIO followed either by 476s or Klasse HG Sealant or maybe the WG deep gloss sealant. Or possibly Pinacle Sovereign liquid wax.

Darren Priest has a black Denali which he has maintained only by doing MUQW for something like 6 years as of his video and it looks great. Good enough for me.

So that is the plan. For now the marred black trim is becoming a distant memory. Although I will certainly be cautious when it comes time to re-wax. I don't think the Klasse AIO stained the trim. It was the 476s.

I suppose someone will point out something better than MUQW. It must pass one hurdle. That is that it is user friendly to rubber, plastic and yes black trim! Darren Priest seems convinced that MUQW has special attributes which cause rubber and plastic to be preserved. I remember also a Range Rover which was maintained in much the same way as the Denali.