PDA

View Full Version : Single Stage Paint Help

Guyb
08-12-2016, 12:31 PM
I started a project on a GMC truck that is mostly single stage from a repaint. Figured I would use the good old #7 treatment on it. I think I am getting ahead of myself. When I clayed the truck with fine clay it didn't help. I switched to a medium clay and got some improvement but with the baggie test it was still real rough. Megs #7 does remove a lot of dead paint but I think that I will still end up with a bad surface to polish. Should this be a wet sand project first?

Mike Phillips
08-12-2016, 01:11 PM
Megs #7 does remove a lot of dead paint but I think that I will still end up with a bad surface to polish.

Should this be a wet sand project first?

Hi Guy,

Long time no see...

What year is the truck? Can you send me a picture?

mike.phillips@autogeek.net

One thing I like to say...

"Sanding is easy, that's putting scratches INTO the paint. The tricky part is getting them 100% out of the paint"

:)

Guyb
08-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. Pics will be coming. Was going to come for coffee and cars but needed to complete this project before going back to work next week.

Guyb
08-12-2016, 02:10 PM
My thoughts on wet sanding are NOPE! Paint is too thin in areas. Really a poor spray job from about the 1988-90 time frame. I don't know exactly when the owner had it painted. Interior isn't too bad but has lots of dirt dauber nest. The wasp nest was removed when it got trailered in Miss. before coming to me to detail. Still have to crawl around with a flashlight under the seats and dash looking for pest of any kind.

Mike Phillips
08-12-2016, 04:09 PM
Without seeing it - I'd probably opt to use one-step cleaner/wax on the paint and the plastic and even any chrome and glass and then stick a fork in it and call it done.

Slap a polishing pad on the BEAST and knock it out fast.

:)

Guyb
08-12-2016, 05:13 PM
All the side trim will be replaced later. Using Wenol on the chrome. I have the tools and the products. thanks for the suggestions. I sent you several pics. I'll post some in show and shine when I get done.