PDA

View Full Version : PBL Wheel & Glass Coating. What to clean with.

Pages : [1] 2

Hammer77
08-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Back in April I used PBL Wheel Coating, and Glass Coating. Both are wonderful products for anyone on the fence about picking them up!

Question #1. The glass. While it does a great job. Sometimes after washing and drying, the glass will have some water marks or haze, I have only been trying to clean it further with Megs D155. Works pretty good. To me sometimes leaves it where it is not as clear as before I used PBL Glass, when I used Stoners IG or Megs D120 to finish the glass. Have not used glass cleaner on the coated glass. What do you use to do the final touches?

Question #2 The wheels. All I can say is WOW! They still look amazing. All I use is soap and my Speed Brush. But my question really is the tires. I want to give them a good deep clean, I have D14301 but haven't used it since I put the wheel coating on. I will be very careful applying to the tire but if it gets on the wheel will it take off the coating? I have just been scrubing them with soap and brush.

Thanks for your time!

Nick McKees37
08-12-2016, 09:32 AM
Back in April I used PBL Wheel Coating, and Glass Coating. Both are wonderful products for anyone on the fence about picking them up!

Question #1. The glass. While it does a great job. Sometimes after washing and drying, the glass will have some water marks or haze, I have only been trying to clean it further with Megs D155. Works pretty good. To me sometimes leaves it where it is not as clear as before I used PBL Glass, when I used Stoners IG or Megs D120 to finish the glass. Have not used glass cleaner on the coated glass. What do you use to do the final touches?

I think you'll find this article very helpful:

How To: Properly Clean & Maintain a Coated Windshield (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/70474-how-properly-clean-maintain-coated-windshield.html)

Nick's Maintenance Plan

If you've ever read any of my previous articles, you know I'm an advocate of the saying "work smart, not hard." That couldn't be any truer for glass care. I don't like cleaning glass, and I'm not particularly good at it, so the fact that my windshield is (always) coated and that I use the proper products to maintain it, allows me to focus on more important aspects of car care and detailing - like how clean my wheels look.

I use three products to clean and maintain the coated windshield (DP Glass Coating) on my daily driver - 2010 Mazda 3.

Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner with Water Repellent 32 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-glass-cleaner.html)
Pinnacle GlassWork Windshield Washer Booster (http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-windshield-washer-booster.html)
Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel (http://www.autogeek.net/ww1627.html)

Each one of those products is self explanatory and doesn't require any thinking - just the way I like it!

Pinnacle GlassWork Windshield Washer Booster

Pinnacle GlassWork Windshield Washer Booster is an advanced additive for your windshield washer fluid. It doubles the cleaning power of regular windshield washer fluid while creating a much slicker washer fluid that is less prone to streaking and smearing. Its formula is highly concentrated which means one 16 ounce bottle of concentrate treats 16 gallons of washer fluid! It is perfect for removing built up road film, dirt and grime to maintain the protection and hydrophobic properties of your glass coating.

Pinnacle GlassWork Windshield Washer Booster is packaged in a 16 ounce bottle that features a built-in measuring cup. This allows for accurate product measurement.

Simply squeeze the bottle until the fluid reaches the 1 ounce mark, locate your windshield washer fluid reservoir, and dispense!

http://autogeekonline.net/nick/Glass%20Coating%20Maintenance/DSCN5411.JPG

http://autogeekonline.net/nick/Glass%20Coating%20Maintenance/DSCN5416.JPG

Use as needed - Pinnacle GlassWork Windshield Washer Booster will not negatively affect your glass coating. It will actually make your glass coating perform better because it removes road film and contaminants, leaving the surface smooth again.

http://autogeekonline.net/nick/Glass%20Coating%20Maintenance/DSCN5418.JPG

Question #2 The wheels. All I can say is WOW! They still look amazing. All I use is soap and my Speed Brush. But my question really is the tires. I want to give them a good deep clean, I have D14301 but haven't used it since I put the wheel coating on. I will be very careful applying to the tire but if it gets on the wheel will it take off the coating? I have just been scrubing them with soap and brush.

Thanks for your time!

Good call on the soap and the Speed Master Brush, because that's all you really need to clean a coated wheel.

When you clean the tires, make sure the wheel is WET. This will dilute any tire cleaner that makes its way onto the (coated) wheel. If you want to play it safe, spray the tire cleaner directly onto and into your tire brush, and then proceed to scrub the tire clean.

:dblthumb2:

Hammer77
08-12-2016, 09:42 AM
Thanks Nick! Never thought about spraying in on the brush. Thanks for the link.

The Guz
08-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Stoners and D120 will work just fine if that is what you have on hand.

Nick covered the wheels already. But D143 will work fine on the tires.

Hammer77
08-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Sorry, one more question. Since you suggested the Pinnacle Glass cleaner with Water Repellant, would Wolfgang Perfekt glass cleaner work as well, I have some of that but forgot. I like the idea of the booster and will pick some up.

Eldorado2k
08-12-2016, 10:44 AM
I've just recently been interested in these glass coatings for the 1st time but had the same questions about whether I can use my normL stuff [Megs D120] to maintain the glass. My main concern is the alcohol in D120. Does alcohol remove McKee's Glass Coating? [or any of the similar glass coatings]

Does Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner contain alcohol?

... Nevermind. I just read the thread you provided the link to...
I guess I'll pass on glass coatings, since alcohol will degrade them over time and I'm not willing to part with Megs D120. Thx for the info.

The Guz
08-12-2016, 10:49 AM
I've just recently been interested in these glass coatings for the 1st time but had the same questions about whether I can use my normL stuff [Megs D120] to maintain the glass. My main concern is the alcohol in D120. Does alcohol remove McKee's Glass Coating? [or any of the similar glass coatings]

No it does not. I have DP Glass coating before it was relabeled to McKee's and D120 works fine.

Eldorado2k
08-12-2016, 10:53 AM
@The Guz. Look what he said...

Since this glass cleaner is alcohol free, it won't slowly degrade your glass coating over time.

The Guz
08-12-2016, 11:15 AM
@The Guz. Look what he said...

I used D120 on DP for more than a year and the coating held up just fine. No sign of degradation.

Eldorado2k
08-13-2016, 09:38 AM
I used D120 on DP for more than a year and the coating held up just fine. No sign of degradation.

And after applying the stuff the windshield stays noticeably cleaner? As you know we're not concerned with repeling rain over here, but if it really does repel dust & dirt to a noticeable degree that'd be cool.

That early morning wipe to clear the bit of fog every morning is what ends up ruining my clean windshield.. Not only does my washer fluid not spray, but my wipers don't get perfect coverage, so every morning I wake up to this...

I push my wiper once and it goes to this.. And you can imagine how this winds up ruining my clean windshield.

And since its Saturday, I have plenty of time, so I took a minute to properly clean it with D120 and bring it back to 100% clean.

I'm not sure the glass coating would help my situation much.. What I really need is some new & proper wiper blades huh? I've never bought new wiper blades..

Every Cadillac I've owned has needed new wiper blades, but I've never bothered to replace them, because I've always had a feeling this is going to be 1 of those parts you must buy from the dealer in order for it to work perfectly. So instead of $20 it's more like $50 for genuine blades that work like they did when the car was new.. These cars are ridiculous like that. And I'm too cheap to pay that much for wiper blades. Lol.

The Guz
08-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Get yourself some new wipers. You can pick up a set of bosch icons which are good blades. Rockauto may carry the OEM replacements if you wish to stick with OEM. Or go to the dealer.

The coating is not going to repel dust like a magical product. It will make cleaning the glass easier.

Eldorado2k
08-13-2016, 02:57 PM
@The Guz. Hey I just called the Cadillac dealer in Torrance and the gentleman was super nice [as they always are]. A brand new set of wiper blades is only going to cost me $12! I put them on Will Call and I'm about to go pick them up. Ahh I can't wait to finally have my wipers work as they should:)

That's right over by your area, correct?

BTW, check out this complaint rating some customer left... Instead of leaving a 1 star rating, I would've left them 5 stars for Not washing my Cadillac:) lol.

Hammer77
08-13-2016, 03:07 PM
First of all to me the dealership is probably doing them a favor, even though they don't know it. Second is that $12 for OEM wipers. If so that's a deal, OEM blades for mine are $70 a pair. Good deal hope they work well for you!

Eldorado2k
08-13-2016, 03:09 PM
First of all to me the dealership is probably doing them a favor, even though they don't know it. Second is that $12 for OEM wipers. If so that's a deal, OEM blades for mine are $70 a pair. Good deal hope they work well for you!

Yea I was shocked.. I asked him twice. Then I took my phone off speaker and said to him, "so it's only going to cost $12 for the pair and you have them there now"?
It's crazy. Lol.

Now I'm about to do a quik waterless wash.. Because I can't show up to the Cadillac dealer in a dirty Caddy... Even though it's not that bad, but I want it to look as good as possible when I roll up:)lol.

Hammer77
08-13-2016, 03:26 PM
Awhile back getting my oil changed, I strolled into the parts dept. to check into some splash guards, and sill guards for the door jam, and asked about replacement wipers. The parts manager informed me that they had a economy line on hand, and that OEM had to be ordered. So a couple month down the road I called to order some, when I heard the price. I ordered some top line ANCO's off Amazon for $24 for the pair. I am not a cheap person, but was not paying that for some wipers.