PDA

View Full Version : Can I polish before McKees Paint Coating?

Pages : [1] 2

CC268
08-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Just picked up a used 2014 Ford Escape in black for my girlfriend. I want to do a full detail on it so I was planning on hitting it with Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion, then the McKees Paint Coating Prep and then McKees Paint Coating. Is this acceptable? Of course I will use Iron X and my Nanoskin mitt beforehand.

Actually excited to try out my product on a black car!

Marc08EX
08-10-2016, 09:05 PM
No need for the Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion. This is an equivalent product to the McKee's 37 Coating Prep Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/coating-prep-polish.html). This will clean the paint and prep it for the McKee's 37 Paint Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/nano-paint-sealant.html) to bond.

Are you planning to remove swirls and scratches on your GF's car's paint though? The Pinnacle Cleaning Lotion is non-abrasive so it won't really remove and swirls and scratches. What compounds and polishes do you have? If you're looking for suggestions, you can check these products out:
McKee's 37 Fast Compound (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-intermediate-swirl.html)
McKee's 37 Fast Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-fine-swirl.html)

But any compound and polish would work.

So depending on the condition of the paint, you can take one of the following approaches:
1, Compound -> Polish -> Coating Prep Polish -> Coating (For heavy swirls/defects)
2. Polish -> Coating Prep Polish -> Coating (For light swirls/defects)

Hope this helps.

CC268
08-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Honestly I would just use HD Speed if there are scratches and swirls I need to get out...already have it on hand...unless you wouldn't recommend that.

WaxMaster1
08-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Honestly I would just use HD Speed if there are scratches and swirls I need to get out...already have it on hand...unless you wouldn't recommend that.

Speed is great but you'll be left with an LSP which contains Poxy, a montan wax and it would be hard for the McKee's Coating to bond to it.

ViperGuy21
08-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Not if you plan on coating the car. Speed has wax in it, you would have to get that off for the coating to bond. You could, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you just want one step before prep polish and coating get a good cutting polish, like Sonax EX04-06

CC268
08-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Well couldn't I do HD Speed --> McKees Coating Prep Polish --> McKees Paint Coating

FUNX650
08-10-2016, 09:49 PM
HD Speed is an AIO: an all-in-one
cleaner, polish and Sealant.

Never seen or heard of this product being
recommended as a "base" for Coatings.

Well couldn't I do HD Speed -->
McKees Coating Prep Polish -->
McKees Paint Coating
The vehicle's paint must have some
defects that you are far more concerned
about now, than you initially expressed.

Time to bring out the
"Test Spot" equipment.

Bob

CC268
08-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Lol relax Bob I haven't even looked at the paint in great detail and it's too dark to tell now...I was just asking. I will pick up McKees Fast Polish if I find that the paint needs it

jeepbrew
08-10-2016, 09:56 PM
HD Speed is an AIO: an all-in-one
cleaner, polish and Sealant.

Never seen or heard of this product being
recommended as a "base" for Coatings.

The vehicle's paint must have some
defects that you are far more concerned
about now, than you initially expressed.

Time to bring out the
"Test Spot" equipment.

Bob

Why do you say that? He's just wanting to polish, prep, and coat it. Granted he wants to use an AIO for the polish, so he'll need to strip the wax/sealant before coating, but his plan is not terribly unorthodox.

Marc08EX
08-10-2016, 09:57 PM

No HD Speed would work.

So the process will be:
HD Speed -> Coating Prep Polish -> Coating

I just don't know if the coating prep polish would completely eliminate the sealants present in HD Speed. If it was me, I'd use a dedicated compound/polish.

Maybe you could ask Nick and see if the Coating Prep Polish will be strong enough to remove the sealants in HD Speed. If there's any sealants left behind, it will affect the bonding process of the coating.

CC268
08-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Like I said I would be using the McKees Prep Polish before the coating...otherwise I can just buy a different polish I guess

CC268
08-10-2016, 09:58 PM
No HD Speed would work.

So the process will be:
HD Speed -> Coating Prep Polish -> Coating

Thanks for the help!

Marc08EX
08-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the help!

Sorry but I updated the post you quoted. Please re-read it. Thanks.

CC268
08-10-2016, 10:11 PM
Alright I will just order the McKees Polish

FUNX650
08-10-2016, 10:12 PM
Lol relax Bob
Not to worry...I stay very relaxed.
I'm too old; and on a fixed income;
too expensive to go clubbing anymore.

I haven't even looked at the paint in
great detail and it's too dark to tell now...

You're saying you still don't have
a "swirl finder" light source? :)

Anyway...
I wish you Best of Luck with this project.

Bob