PDA

View Full Version : CarPro Essence + Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating question

BadgerRivFan
08-10-2016, 10:46 AM
I'm going to polish my daily driver with CarPro Essence and then coat it with Wolfgang's Uber Ceramic Coating. For those of you who have done this, is it advisable to wipe the paint with Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep after polishing with Essence and prior to installing the coating? If so, how long should I wait after using Essence to use the Paint Prep?

I know it is recommended to use Paint Prep after polishing when using WG Uber Coating, but it's the unique attributes of Essence that are making me second guess this. Your feedback and comments are appreciated.

Al S.

Ancient1
08-11-2016, 02:11 AM
That is what I was planning on doing to my car this last spring. From what was said on the carpro forum is that it depends on the paint. If it is used as a finish polish on a 2 step no wipe down is needed but if it is used on a waxed/sealed surface maybe.

I ended up doing a 2 step with Menz 400/4000 and was going to do essence as a prep (even got a few gloss pads for it) but with all the time I spent polishing and no real info on how Essence and WG Uber played together long term I ended up just doing the double wipe down.

BadgerRivFan
08-15-2016, 08:56 PM
I ended up doing a two-stage polish beginning with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (using LC Hybrid white pads), followed by Essence (using CarPro Gloss pads).

I did wipe the entire car down with Perfekt Finish Paint Prep prior to installing the Über Ceramic Coating.

It turned out well... It's a '14 Buick LaCrosse in "Midnight Amethyst"

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/b71ed15cca177d073c78f44254a1a338.jpg

2011 Kona Blue
08-15-2016, 10:47 PM
My father and I just coated his 2014 Mustang with Wolfgang's Uber ceramic coating. The directions were horrible. The directions tell you to make an x on the enclosed foam applicator pad. They don't specify how big the x is supposed too be.

We wound up putting too much product on the applicator and the paint streaked up. After getting the streaking off I called Auto Geek

AG tells me to just use 3 drops of product on the applicator. Less goes a long way. Love AG but the directions from the manufacturer $uck. 3 drops is not an X and how big of an X.

BadgerRivFan
08-16-2016, 03:58 AM
Couldn't agree more with you 2011 Kona Blue. I referenced this lengthy "how to" post from Mike Phillips before using Über.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/96240-review-how-wolfgang-uber-ceramic-paint-coating.html#post1308766

As all of Mike's posts it is extremely informative, but I found that using the amount of coating recommended on the foam applicator pad was way too much. I definitely overused the product and should have had way more left over when the car was completed.

Next time, I will use a CarPro coating applicator wrapped with a micro suede towel to apply ANY coating that I use. Did this with Optimum Gloss Coat on the first car that I coated, and that is definitely the best way to apply a coating sparingly.

2011 Kona Blue
08-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Couldn't agree more with you 2011 Kona Blue. I referenced this lengthy "how to" post from Mike Phillips before using Über.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/96240-review-how-wolfgang-uber-ceramic-paint-coating.html#post1308766

As all of Mike's posts it is extremely informative, but I found that using the amount of coating recommended on the foam applicator pad was way too much. I definitely overused the product and should have had way more left over when the car was completed.

Next time, I will use a CarPro coating applicator wrapped with a micro suede towel to apply ANY coating that I use. Did this with Optimum Gloss Coat on the first car that I coated, and that is definitely the best way to apply a coating sparingly.

Thanks sir