PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Mercedes E-Class

TwistedAutoDetail
08-10-2016, 07:44 AM
Hey guys.

I have a newer E-Class Mercedes (2014 model I believe it is) That my friend is wanting me to fully polish out for him, and then coat.

What compound system would you guys recommend for it?

I have on hand:

Meguiar's M105 / M205

HD Cut / HD Speed

CG V32,V34, V36, V38

I use a Rupes LHR Bigfoot 21 and 75E for my polishing.

I'm heavily considering Menzerna Compounds, but Im still a little confused on their labeling.

Chramiji
08-10-2016, 07:59 AM
Doesn't this depend on the paints condition?

Also, I know Menzerna products work well on Mercedes paint, and I believe its the OEM polish for those cars (correct me if I am wrong here).

sf4500 for light swirls.

I only had experience with FG400, SF4000, SF4500, all excellent products.

If the paint is in great condition, you can also spot check if HD Speed can do the job, if it does, you can one step the car :).

I used WG UC, FG, DGPS on my fathers 2011 E class and it was pretty amazing.. for the whole time the sealant lasted, then.. no one took care of the car.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-10-2016, 08:03 AM
I always use Menzerna on German paint systems. They are the factory level supplier to the major German Auto Manufacturers.

400/3500 is the starting point for compounding/polishing.

TwistedAutoDetail
08-10-2016, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't want to 1-step the car, because he's wanting to have me Cquartz Coat the car after polishing.

I just know that MB paint can be finicky. I haven't had the opportunity to do a lot of MB polishing.... Seems like most of my MB owning clients don't want to polish... they just want quick wash & vac type jobs, or a wax.

I'll look into FG400, and 3500. Is there anything in-between that I'd need? I want this thing to look absolutely perfect. (Not that my others don't)

Mike Phillips
08-10-2016, 09:41 AM
First thing...

Find out if your MB has a Ceramiclear paint finish. See my article here,

Ceramiclear Paint Code Location on Mercedes-Benz (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/76229-ceramiclear-paint-code-location-mercedes-benz.html)

Then if it does... you ALWAYS want to take the least aggressive approach to this paint system and ONLY compound if absolutely necessary.

See this article as to why...

Ceramiclear Paints - Be Careful (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html)

:)

TwistedAutoDetail
08-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Mike thank you a million.

I greatly appreciate the info!!

ViperGuy21
08-10-2016, 01:16 PM
I've never done a Mercedes, but on the German cars I have done(Porsche's)Sonax Profiline abrasives did me well

Mike Phillips
08-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Mike thank you a million.

I greatly appreciate the info!!

No problemo...

A little education goes a long ways...

I'm a HUGE fan of Ceramiclear paints. As long as you wash them carefully like I show in the link below they resist swirls and scratches.

How to wash a coated car - The Gentle Approach for Washing a Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/103632-how-wash-coated-car-gentle-approach-washing-car-mike-phillips.html)

The KEY is Head Knowledge.

That is KNOWING what you have and I think that's where Mercedes-Benz and any other car manufacturer that uses the Ceramiclear paint system falls down. To my knowledge they don't do anything to educate their customers as to,

What this paint is?
What makes it special?
How to take care of it correctly?
What NOT to do to it?

Maybe someday someone at Mercedes-Benz will read one of my articles about this topic and take some pro-active action moving into the future. :dunno:

If anyone at Mercedes-Benz ever reads this I would be happy to help you write a how-to manual for taking care of Ceramiclear paints.

:dblthumb2:

fotomatt1
08-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Mike,

Do you know which models / colors of Mercedes have ceramiclear? My wife is picking up her new 2016 GLE300d next week. It's Polar White (non metallic). I'm presently arguing with the dealer, as they say it's their policy to detail every new car, and I don't want them to touch it. Unfortunately it was traded for from another dealer and doesn't have the plastic on it anymore, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to do at least a very light polishing with SF4500 if the dealer touches it. Is SF4500 with a black or red hybrid pad safe for ceramiclear? How about PF2500? Thanks in advance!

Eldorado2k
08-15-2016, 09:40 PM
Mike,

Do you know which models / colors of Mercedes have ceramiclear? My wife is picking up her new 2016 GLE300d next week. It's Polar White (non metallic). I'm presently arguing with the dealer, as they say it's their policy to detail every new car, and I don't want them to touch it. Unfortunately it was traded for from another dealer and doesn't have the plastic on it anymore, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to do at least a very light polishing with SF4500 if the dealer touches it. Is SF4500 with a black or red hybrid pad safe for ceramiclear? How about PF2500? Thanks in advance!

Read...

First thing...

Find out if your MB has a Ceramiclear paint finish. See my article here,

Ceramiclear Paint Code Location on Mercedes-Benz (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/76229-ceramiclear-paint-code-location-mercedes-benz.html)

Then if it does... you ALWAYS want to take the least aggressive approach to this paint system and ONLY compound if absolutely necessary.

See this article as to why...

Ceramiclear Paints - Be Careful (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html)

:)

SKorch630
08-15-2016, 09:40 PM
Mike,

Do you know which models / colors of Mercedes have ceramiclear? My wife is picking up her new 2016 GLE300d next week. It's Polar White (non metallic). I'm presently arguing with the dealer, as they say it's their policy to detail every new car, and I don't want them to touch it.

The VIN plate with have a "CXXX" on it. For instance, "C650" is calcite white. The C indicates it is ceramiclear. Have fun arguing with them about detailing your car. I insisted that they not touch mine when I picked it up, and I threatened to not purchase the vehicle if they did "detail" it, and they still did it. They lied to me and told me that he was just filling it with gas and putting air in the tires. I come out to a car RIDDLED with holograms.

fotomatt1
08-15-2016, 09:50 PM
The VIN plate with have a "CXXX" on it. For instance, "C650" is calcite white. The C indicates it is ceramiclear. Have fun arguing with them about detailing your car. I insisted that they not touch mine when I picked it up, and I threatened to not purchase the vehicle if they did "detail" it, and they still did it. They lied to me and told me that he was just filling it with gas and putting air in the tires. I come out to a car RIDDLED with holograms.

So what did you do? Did you take it? I told them the same thing. I figure the least I can do is have them deduct the cost of a paint correction if they do it and screw it up. My boss's husband is a high end pro detailer so I'd just take it to him since he's better than I am :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKorch630
08-15-2016, 10:46 PM
You can argue with them, but they most likely won't do anything about it.

I went around and around with them. I sat at the dealership for 8 hours when I purchased. I called before I even got there (hour drive), and told them I will be there with cash in hand, to have the vehicle outside and waiting, and I will pay the cashier and leave. NOOOOOPPPPPEEEEE. Like I said, I sat there for 8 hours with them dicking around with paperwork. Needless to say, it was a less than exceptional experience. After all of the paperwork BS, they went and detailed the vehicle after I told the sales person, AND the sales manager to please not touch the vehicle.

Since I do all of my own work, I wasn't too terribly upset about the condition of it. I was more upset at the fact that I had to spend an extra hour and a half there while he butchered the paint lol.

Eldorado2k
08-15-2016, 11:46 PM
You can argue with them, but they most likely won't do anything about it.

I went around and around with them. I sat at the dealership for 8 hours when I purchased. I called before I even got there (hour drive), and told them I will be there with cash in hand, to have the vehicle outside and waiting, and I will pay the cashier and leave. NOOOOOPPPPPEEEEE. Like I said, I sat there for 8 hours with them dicking around with paperwork. Needless to say, it was a less than exceptional experience. After all of the paperwork BS, they went and detailed the vehicle after I told the sales person, AND the sales manager to please not touch the vehicle.

Since I do all of my own work, I wasn't too terribly upset about the condition of it. I was more upset at the fact that I had to spend an extra hour and a half there while he butchered the paint lol.

Does your Mercedes have the ceramiclear on it? What did you use to correct it?
Btw that's horrible customer service by MB.