PDA

View Full Version : Cringeworty...

Pages : [1] 2

MikeC
08-08-2016, 10:48 PM
I'm a part-time detailer with a full time job. My new boss brought in his 2015 Berlinetta F12 for the guys in the garage to clean up. I walked over to the garage to see the work in action. All I could do was watch in horror. The guy washing it said he was trying to psyche himself up to wash it, and sent another guy out to Lowes to buy some sponges since he couldn't find his old one. He came back with a two-pack of sponges. He then mixed a bucket of an unknown soap, dipped said sponge, and proceeded to wash the wheels first. Fine. Without missing a beat, he moves right to the roof with the same sponge and bucket and continues to "wash" the car. He used a water blade to dry most of it, followed by a 12"x12" general use microfiber towel that might be acceptable to use on tires. He finishes the drying with it and then starts wiping down the interior and glass. I started to feel queasy, so I told him it looked good and went behind the shop to get sick.(Not really,but close). All the while smoking his cig. To think he was nervous about washing it...:cry:. The car also had various holograms that the real "detailer" put on for him. And to think I worry about doing regular vehicles.

Setec Astronomy
08-08-2016, 11:01 PM
Yikes.

On another note, any boss who brings his Ferrari to work for his minions to wash...has some issues. Talk about rubbing your nose in it.

ViperGuy21
08-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Maybe you can show him the error of his ways(your boss, that is)and get to work on it yourself...? Good luck if he is that oblivious, but worst he can say is "no," right?

MikeC
08-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Right? He usual DD is the S63 AMG or the new Shelby. Although I'm told he is a generous guy to his employees. Still haven't been offered a test drive though! Not as bad as my old boss who left the receipt for his $800,000 helicopter on the table in the break room...

Thought about the offer, but I don't know him that well yet. And yeah, he doesn't know a "swirl from a squirrel".

Setec Astronomy
08-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Not as bad as my old boss who left the receipt for his $800,000 helicopter on the table in the break room...

Oh, I see, he was modest. Did he wind up running for President?

GSKR
08-08-2016, 11:20 PM
Yikes.

On another note, any boss who brings his Ferrari to work for his minions to wash...has some issues. Talk about rubbing your nose in it.Can I get a raise please.

MikeC
08-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Setec, he is the owner of Crompco,llc., out of Plymouth Meeting. You probably see our trucks at gas stations checking tank systems. He started out of his garage. Wait a minute, I work out of my garage, maybe someday I'll...nah. Won't happen.

custmsprty
08-08-2016, 11:32 PM
Just curious, you work for the guy, why haven't you approached him way before this happened to offer your detailing expertise? I detailed both of my last bosses rides and they paid me $250.00 a piece. It felt so good taking their money! :buffing:

MikeC
08-09-2016, 10:07 PM
I've only been working there for a few months and I didn't want to overstep my boundaries. Now that I've been there for a bit and have gotten to know some people, I plan on spreading the word about my detailing. He's not there a lot either, so I'll have to wait for the right opportunity to see if he's interested in having the scratches and holograms removed.

Eldorado2k
08-09-2016, 10:27 PM
I've only been working there for a few months and I didn't want to overstep my boundaries. Now that I've been there for a bit and have gotten to know some people, I plan on spreading the word about my detailing. He's not there a lot either, so I'll have to wait for the right opportunity to see if he's interested in having the scratches and holograms removed.

You and I have similar stories... I've recently started a new full time and 1 of the owners drives an Aston Martin.

I don't know much about those cars, but I just did a google search and it looks like it's DB9 GT. I figured the car was expensive but holy crap I didn't think it was That expensive! Wow.. Ok I just got some real motivation to make friendly with him sometime and talk to him about his car and let him know the delio.😏
It's too bad the car's silver and probably looks just as good swirled up as it does swirl free.. I still can't believe how expensive it is.. I'll give him credit for having the balls to daily drive that car. Lol

dlc95
08-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Yikes.

On another note, any boss who brings his Ferrari to work for his minions to wash...has some issues. Talk about rubbing your nose in it.

My old boss got rid of his toy car just for that reason. He was having an addition constructed to his car wash, and didn't want to come off as a show off. It was "just" a brand new Vette, but he still didn't feel it represented him accurately.

TwistedAutoDetail
08-10-2016, 08:58 AM
I would've pulled him aside and discussed real world options with him for his car.

You should've stepped in and offered a full Polish & Ceramic Coating job for $1000 +. He's obviously got the cash, make something off of it.

I discussed and showed my wife's boss what a ceramic coating does, and I've already got his Mercedes E-Class scheduled for next week.

$1200 job too. That's the going rate, that's what he's getting charged.

Go make the big bucks man!

-Matt

brettS4
08-10-2016, 09:05 AM
Reminds me of my old architect boss who refused to give any employees a raise for 8 years... yes, 8 years straight... because money was too tight. But bought a Porsche 996 (to go along with his new BMW M3 and $200k motorhome that he also bought during that period) and parked it right by the front entrance every day. I still wonder how that car never got keyed.

TwistedAutoDetail
08-10-2016, 09:08 AM
Reminds me of my old architect boss who refused to give any employees a raise for 8 years... yes, 8 years straight... because money was too tight. But bought a Porsche 996 (to go along with his new BMW M3 and $200k motorhome that he also bought during that period) and parked it right by the front entrance every day. I still wonder how that car never got keyed.

Reminds me of the movie Office Space.

Bill Lumberg!

hahaahahaha

Setec Astronomy
08-10-2016, 09:17 AM

Yeah, makes you wonder about the psychology of that--was he just oblivious, was it some sort of power/ego play, etc.