PDA

View Full Version : Paint correction help - Pics

chuxta
08-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Hi,

How would you fix this defect in a 2013 pearl white Toyota Highlander?

I just noticed it a few months ago. It appears that the paint is cracking. Can it be wet sanded, buffed and polished?

:)

Detailsbydaniel
08-09-2016, 01:19 AM
If the paint is really cracked nothing short of a respray will fix it. Wet sanding is the best way to remove the deeper defects but that being said if it's craked down to primer/metal your just going to remove what's there Already if u ask me

TTQ B4U
08-09-2016, 07:13 AM
That's pretty sad for such a new vehicle. Was it left un-kept for a while? I have a friend with a 2012 Accord that has bad Clear Coat Failure like that and it's because she never cleaned or sealed the car. I would imagine warranty will cover it if it's within that period.

comb over the rest of the vehicle to spot any other trouble spots.

Marc08EX
08-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Wow! 2013 and the paint is cracking?

Only repaint can fix that.

mwoolfso
08-09-2016, 07:23 AM
Panel respray required no matter how you cut it.

You may be able to minimize the visual impacts a little by using a good iron decontamination and a product with filling capabilities in the meantime.

Desertnate
08-09-2016, 07:49 AM
That's pretty sad for such a new vehicle. Was it left un-kept for a while?

I was thinking the same thing. My wife drives the same car, but with the crimson pearl paint and I've not found anything like that. Good that be a bird dropping that was never removed? Depending on the orientation of the mark, the shape looks like droppings or a really evil bug splatter.

Mike Phillips
08-09-2016, 08:00 AM
To me... that looks like fractured or cracked paint caused by a bird dropping etching.

Here's my article on this topic....

Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24924-two-types-bird-dropping-etchings.html)

Here's a portion from the article,

Type II Bird Dropping - Fractured/Wrinkled Etching
Type II Wrinkled Etchings are usually too deep to fix safely. The problem is the paint fractures, (splits apart in tiny lines,), or wrinkles as the paint swells and bunches together. In both instances, the resulting defect is throughout the clear layer of paint and not topical. Thus trying to remove it will require removing so much clear paint that you will likely expose the basecoat, or colored layer of paint which has a dull appearance. For this reason it's not safe to try to remove a Type II Bird Dropping Wrinkled or Fractured Etching.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/719/BirdDroppingEtchingWrinkles.jpg

The pictures you attached show what looks like cracks or fractures intheh paint like you see above.

These cracks run throughout the thickness of the paint. So compounding or even more aggressive, sanding on top of the cracks won't remove them it will just uncover more of the cracks.

Makes you wonder... what's inside bird droppings that they can be socorrosivee?

You have two simple options.

1: Learn to live with the defect.

2: Take you car to areputablee body shop and have the affected area repainted.

For the cost to have the panel repainted, somewhere between $300.00 to $1000.00 depending upon the caliber of the shop, plus the potential for related problems that come when you take your car to a body shop... it might be a better option to just learn to live with the defect.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's my take according to your pictures.

Also, since this is your first post to AGO...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

:welcome:

Mike Phillips
08-09-2016, 08:05 AM
To make it easier to see... here's one of your pictures uploaded to our gallery so it can be inserted instead of only attached.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=107753

:)