PDA

View Full Version : Greetings all.

Swirlmaster
08-08-2016, 05:23 AM
Hello everyone. I'm a first time poster located in New Zealand but I've been doing my best to soak up the info on here in the past few weeks. Lots of fantastic guides! I feel after doing a lot of reading I have a good grasp on the basics and I am fairly meticulous and careful in how I go about things. However the urge to properly detail my vehicle is biting pretty hard now and I have made some tentative steps with the equipment I have. I have noticed some improvements but a lot of paint defects, (swirls, scratches etc) remain in the paint of my vehicle below: (I would take better pictures but my phone camera isn't up to the job of outlining paint imperfections).

The order in which I detail is as follows:

I first inspect the paint work then rinse then wash using Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo and the two bucket method, (with extra bucket for the wheels). I wash working from the top down using one Meguiars wash mitt for the top half of the vehicle and then another mitt for the bottom half.

I then spray with Griot's paint Prep one section at a time, massage to remove wax and then rinse off one section at a time until all the paintwork is done. I then dry the entire vehicle with micro-fibre detailing towels, (Chem guys, Mothers etc).

I then clay bar the entire vehicle working in small sections. I can do this without any issues and with great results.

I do what paint correction I can working in small sections, then do the same with the polish and wax.

However the part that I am having the most difficulty with is the paint correction/cutting stage: I am currently using the Megiuars DA Power System with Ultimate Compound, (and appropriate burgundy cutting pad) and while it is removing the oxidation from the paint work it's not moving the scratches and the swirls. On top of this the whole corded drill + DA Powersystem is tiring for me to use, (wrecked shoulders) and I am finding I am having to make multiple passes, (about 8-10) over a 12 inch square area for little improvement.

Should I make the move to a more traditional Dual Action polisher such as a Porter cable? I feel as though the DA Power System is good but I feel it's quite under-powered for the level of paint correction I have to do on my vehicle. Also, would a Porter cable bought from the US be compatible with New Zealand voltages? I guess I may need a power voltage converter or some such. Also, do I need to move to a more aggressive cutting compound and/or pad.

Open to any suggestions and thanks in advance for your replies :D