PDA

View Full Version : If you can only have one..

Pages : [1] 2 3

72Malibu
08-07-2016, 08:43 PM
New member, but have lurked here often and been polishing and detailing my own vehicles (as well as a few for friends and family), for 35 years. I've always detailed by hand, but I am looking at getting my first polisher.

I've seen the GG6 and 3401 seem to be popular choices, but I've also seen that they are paired with something else. I understand why one would have multiple polishers, but can we narrow the field? Basing your choice on using the polisher for personal use, and you can only have one, which would it be? And why?

Thank you and shine on.

Marc08EX
08-07-2016, 08:50 PM
If you can only have 1, I would suggest the GG6 polisher.

I'm suggesting the traditional DA polisher so that you have the ability to switch between 6", 5" and 3" backing plates. You want the versatility to be able to switch to smaller pads for tighter spaces.

But if you can have 2 or more polishers, look into the Flex 3401 or the long throw polishers (Rupes / Griot's BOSS).

ShaneB
08-07-2016, 09:10 PM
A good rotary. Much bigger learning curve but a single rotary paired with many different pad/backing plate sizes can handle everything. In terms of versatility, you really can't compare to a rotary (in the right hands)

dcjredline
08-07-2016, 09:27 PM
3401. This too has been asked and answered before.

3401 is friendly and powerful. IMO you dont NEED more than one polisher. Specially since you have been doing it by hand. Anything the 3401 cant get to you can sure do by hand.

spazzz
08-07-2016, 09:39 PM
If your doing friends and family cars, get a Flex to save yourself time.

WAXOFF
08-07-2016, 09:40 PM
I say 3401. I never use any of my other buffers since I got the 3401. I liked it so much I bought a second one just in case. Pink by the way.

chet31
08-07-2016, 10:06 PM
I own both a PC 7424 and a Flex 3401. If I could have only one, it would be the 3401 by a fair margin.

72Malibu
08-07-2016, 10:41 PM
I appreciate ya'll commenting so quickly. I'll give this thread a few weeks to grow, but seems the 3401 has taken the trophy thus far.

Pink? Is that to keep it from getting "borrowed"?

Thanks all, thus far.

VISITOR
08-07-2016, 11:06 PM
if you only need it for personal use (and a few cars here and there) then the GG6 would be the ideal choice (it has a lifetime warranty as well). as mentioned, it's versatile as you can swap out backing plates/pads for different situations and power is not an issue as it has plenty of torque. no sense in spending $200+ more if you aren't going to be using it that much...

emmjay
08-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Get the 3401, its the only polisher I have and covers most bases. I do like the idea of the gg6 and its versatility, but I don't have that option where I live. You can use the flex on thin panels as well as you long as you follow Mike Philips technique.

Read my post below from last week and of course other replies, including from Mike himself.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/103497-3401-fine-beginner.html#post1408414

LAKings22
08-07-2016, 11:53 PM
Between the 2 I would also say go with the flex. I've used a friend's GG on a single panel when he was detailing his car. The paint was in good condition with minor swirls and the GG cleaned it up nice. Flex is a bit heavier but more comfortable IMO.

Another to consider is the Rupes. About 6 months ago I was at a dealership late night leasing a car for my dad. Deal was done, car comes out and I noticed a few stains on the clear. Dealership said they tried but couldn't remove it and to come back the next day when the detail guys are in. I noticed the Rupes, few pads and Polish laying around and did it my self. The polisher was real nice to work with, did a little more spots then I needed just to get a good feel for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul A.
08-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Not that it needs any more votes here but my choice would be the Flex 3401 VRG. The strength and versatility of this machine is unbelievably effective and the DA keeps it relatively safe for the uninitiated.

If you progress to then getting a second machine down the road i would then vote for the GG DA. The ability to change pad sizes faster (which is extremely helpful) is more easily done with the GG unit.

Chramiji
08-08-2016, 11:23 AM
I only used pneumatic prior to getting my 3401 Flex, from an engineering standpoint I do feel that this forced orbital dual action is the ideal balance between a DA (safe) and a rotary (aggressive).

In my experience the DA Pneumatic tools can in certain situations get "stuck" and do nothing (usually when higher amounts of pressure is applied. I heard this is more common on mid to lower tier electric DA. the good thing about getting stuck is, obviously.. it's not doing much... (very little... kinda like ultrasonic agitation lol)... but the bad thing is there are certain curves that makes it stuck, and is a hindrance in performance.

Pneumatic rotaries are very very good, and so are electric ones (I presume they perform similar if not the same), but their margin for error is substantially less, and will require some serious skill. I remember the time I was learning how to use one, and I couldn't for the life of me get rid of the halos... but its okay now, I still prefer using the 3401 now a days for the extra forgiveness.

That being said, I really would like to try out a big throw high torque DA, and see how they feel compared to my 3401. I do however enjoy using the cyclo (had access to one at work at one time of my life) because its so smooth and easy to work with, but sorta only useful for larger panels.

I have the rupes 75 mini in my scope, but would need to test one out first.

72Malibu
09-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Sorry folks for not getting back into this sooner. Ended up in hospital for a spell. On the mend so looking back into my future purchase. I do appreciate all the different responses and I see what is coming up 1st choice and 2nd choice. Due to the last comment by Chramiji and the Rupes 75 mini. I take it the mini is more suited for ?? If it's meant for small real estate panels such as 'a' pillars and the like, will the 3401 or GG6 not take such as small pad? Also wondered about the Cyclo Chramiji mentioned, but they look like a heavy and possible awkward handling machine, but I guess looks are deceiving since they have such a following?

medicscott
09-10-2016, 05:31 PM
+1 for 3401. Great starter machine that will last a lifetime with care.