PDA

View Full Version : Tuf Shine Tire Clear Coat - good applicator?

CC268
08-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Hey guys,

I love Tuf Shine Clear Coat for my tires, but it is a total pain using the included orange foam block (especially if you have tires with more aggressive sidewalls). I am wondering if there is a better applicator such as a brush that I can use to put it on and apply it? (also something that is a little more conservative with product would be nice as the Tuf Shine Clear Coat isn't "cheap")

I am open to other product as well.

PA DETAILER
08-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Carrand Brush & Shine Tire Dressing Applicators, tire brush, tire shine applicator (http://www.autogeek.net/carrand-tire-dressing-brush.html)

CC268
08-07-2016, 05:50 PM
Cool I like that! I think I should try a gel with that brush...just thinking about it I don't think the Tuf Shine Clear Coat would work well with any brush...

PA DETAILER
08-07-2016, 06:00 PM
When I used gels, it worked like a charm! Dunno about it not working with tuff shine. I know MCKEES tire coating kit comes with these brushes and is the prefered method to apply that tire coating.

Currently found GTECHNIQ T1 Tire/trim. LOVE IT!!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/103622-gtechniq-t1-tire-trim.html

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-tire-coating-kit.html

CC268
08-07-2016, 06:03 PM
When I used gels, it worked like a charm! Dunno about it not working with tuff shine. I know MCKEES tire coating kit comes with these brushes and is the prefered method to apply that tire coating.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/103622-gtechniq-t1-tire-trim.html

I may try the McKees Tire Coating as they recommend that Carrand Brush. I can use the Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner I have to clean the tires before hand.

boomdone
08-07-2016, 06:14 PM
I have the Carrand brush. It works well for spreading gels and getting into all crevices. I will say it's kind of awkward getting the gel on the brush. It seeps down into the strands and usually winds up on my hands. Can't seem to get that part down yet.

Consoleman
11-07-2016, 08:18 AM
I will say it's kind of awkward getting the gel on the brush. It seeps down into the strands and usually winds up on my hands.

Any tips on doing this to avoid loosing product that seeps into the brush? I would think you can squirt some gel into a small container and dip the brush.

Does this leave the tires a wet look? The product pictures dont do it much justice.

Jaddie
11-07-2016, 09:05 AM
This is a question I can answer.

The best applicator for Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat is a US$.50 chip brush (https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Chip-Brush/20934740?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=20934740&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=b14b0ff7-1b68-4914-8324-0c2218f67221&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=20934738&parent_anchor_item_id=20934738&guid=b4c4ba09-2f7a-4ac1-9412-58b57f489a97&bucket_id=irsbucket016&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n).

I have used the Carrand brushes mentioned above. Brand-new, they're about as good as a fifty-cent chip brush, but the clearcoat makes those brushes a little too stiff for future applications (which can be a year away, thanks to Tuf Shine's excellence). I can't speak for other tire coatings, but Tuf Shine makes the Carrand's bristles too stiff. You could simply dispose of the brush after your Tuf Shine application and use a new one in six months to a year when you reapply, but I feel better about throwing away a fifty-cent chip brush.

I just reapplied Tuf Shine to our van's tires for the third time. This last interval was thirteen months, and the only reason I reapplied was because I had the wheels and tires off the van. They really didn't need it. That's how great Tuf Shine is.

The chip brush is not my idea. I got it from Mike Phillips, who tried both the Carrand brush and a chip brush (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/72207-swanicyouths-stellar-tip-applying-tuff-shine-tire-clearcoat.html).

(This is off topic, but the secret to a great Tuf Shine application is "surgically clean" (quoting Mike Phillips) tires, which you can get by using a carpet or upholstery (Cyclo) brush on a DA polisher like the Porter Cable or Griot's. I use the Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner Concentrate undiluted because the only time I have to use it is when applying Tuf Shine, so it ends up costing very little. Once the Tuf Shine is applied to clean tires, your regular car wash soap will keep them clean.)

Jaddie
11-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Any tips on doing this to avoid loosing product that seeps into the brush? I would think you can squirt some gel into a small container and dip the brush.

Does this leave the tires a wet look? The product pictures dont do it much justice.

You're right. Mike Phillips suggests using a lid. I forgot what I used, but it was a little deeper than a lid, but smaller than a cup. Dip a chip brush in there and go to town!

Tuf Shine doesn't leave a wet look on the first coat. I believe our experiences vary, but for me it was like this:

First coat yielded what you'd expect tires to look like when brand-new.
Second coat yielded a nice matte finish.
Third coat yielded more shine but not a wet look.
Fourth coat left a wet look.
Fifth coat left gangster shine, which is just fine since that shine will diminish slightly as soon as the tires get a little bit of dirt and brake dust on them.

Consoleman
11-07-2016, 11:46 AM
I dont have a air blow out gun w/brush or a porter cable. Will the tuf shine still look good if I dont use those products?

However many months down the line when the shine is faded, Do I have to surgically clean it then too?

BudgetPlan1
11-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Tuf Shine doesn't leave a wet look on the first coat. I believe our experiences vary, but for me it was like this:

First coat yielded what you'd expect tires to look like when brand-new.
Second coat yielded a nice matte finish.
Third coat yielded more shine but not a wet look.
Fourth coat left a wet look.
Fifth coat left gangster shine, which is just fine since that shine will diminish slightly as soon as the tires get a little bit of dirt and brake dust on them.

Have found it also depends on the tire itself. Used it on some Michelin PS2 ZP tires, 2 coats and it's been glossy/wet looking for a few months now. 3 coats Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's and leaves tire looking clean, very slightly shiny but not really much of a wet look.

BudgetPlan1
11-07-2016, 12:07 PM
I dont have a air blow out gun w/brush or a porter cable. Will the tuf shine still look good if I dont use those products?

However many months down the line when the shine is faded, Do I have to surgically clean it then too?

I did just fine with Tuf Shine tire cleaning brush, and contents of kit. If you've been slathering other tire dressings on tires previously, getting to "white-foam = clean" point will require several cleanings and possibly more tire cleaner than single bottle that comes with kit. Generally I've found that it takes 2-3 cleanings with the tire cleaner to get your average tire 'surgically clean' and the Michelin's I have been using Zaino tire dressing on for the last 5 years took about 8 cleaning cycles to get clean. The Dunlops that I had been using WG Tire dressing on took about 4 cleaning cycles to get to the application point.

As for going forward, after coating the wheels with Gyeon Trim and the tires with Tuff Shine, cleaning pretty much involves hosing off, light going over with car wash soap/mitt (which doesn't leave the mitt all nasty like it used to). Reapplication/touch up does not require intense cleaning going forward.

mdbenge
11-08-2016, 12:49 PM

McKee's 37 Tire Coating Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-tire-coating-kit.html)

I'm trying to find that GT T1 Tire-Trim on AG's site. Can someone please add a direct link to the product?

Also, sorry ...not trying to hijack thread.

TIA

PA DETAILER
11-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Sorry...AG does not carry it. THEY SHOULD!

DaveT435
11-08-2016, 01:25 PM
I may try the McKees Tire Coating as they recommend that Carrand Brush. I can use the Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner I have to clean the tires before hand.

I can't say anything about the shine of Tuf Shine. I really like the look of the McKee's. It's more on a natural dark low gloss appearance. I really like the look. I put three coats on, yet to see durability.