PDA

View Full Version : Quick Detailer and Spray Wax

dmayer
08-07-2016, 12:45 PM
I always thought that these were two different types of products, but when I clicked into 'Quick Detailers and Spray Waxes' on the Autogeek website, it states "Some call them “spray waxes,” some call them “QDs” (quick details), but whatever you call them, don’t call them insignificant. These guys, the pinch hitter of the car care world, are great to have around. At the drop of a hat you can take your car from “blah” to “BAM!”

These serve different purposes, correct? I mean, you could use a QD to remove fresh bug splatters but you wouldn't want to use a spray wax for this because the spray wax may not remove the bug splatter and the bug splatter could damage the paint, right? If there was only dust on the paint, could you use spray wax in place of QD?

frankprozzoly
08-07-2016, 12:50 PM
It might be safe to remove dust with spray wax but I wouldn't recommend it. I don't even remove dust with a quick detailer. I'm overly cautious. I always perform a rinseless wash

Marc08EX
08-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Quick detailer has some light cleaning ability. It can remove a light layer of dust or some finger prints. On the other hand, spray waxes require a clean surface before application.

The main purpose of the quick detailer is to clean or freshen up the paint. Some may leave behind some protection but it will be very little. The main purpose of a spray wax is to provide protection.

Here's a good article for you:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/49299-definitive-how-guide-spray-waxes-quick-detail-sprays-waterless-washes.html

dmayer
08-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Thanks Marc for the info and link (excellent write up by Nick by the way). I kind of figured that was the case, but I saw a post the other day where someone said they would use a spray on wax in place of a QD and I kind of when 'huh?', so I wanted to confirm my thoughts. Thanks again!

Marc08EX
08-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks Marc for the info and link (excellent write up by Nick by the way). I kind of figured that was the case, but I saw a post the other day where someone said they would use a spray on wax in place of a QD and I kind of when 'huh?', so I wanted to confirm my thoughts. Thanks again!

My pleasure. :)