PDA

View Full Version : Wool pad advice.

LAKings22
08-05-2016, 11:37 PM
I ordered 3 LC Hybrid Wool pads for my Flex 3401. I have a detail coming up on a 03 Silver Mercedes (not Ceramic Clear) this car has heavy swirls and I'm anticipating the orange hybrid will not be enough to get the best correction.

Any advice on any issues a person who has only used foam pads might come across using wool? Will 3 pads be enough for a sedan? When to change pads? Or best way to clean/dust the pad after each section? Is it more likely for me to damage the clear using wool vs foam? Best way to fully clean the pads when the job is done? Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rmagnus
08-06-2016, 01:04 AM
I ordered 3 LC Hybrid Wool pads for my Flex 3401. I have a detail coming up on a 03 Silver Mercedes (not Ceramic Clear) this car has heavy swirls and I'm anticipating the orange hybrid will not be enough to get the best correction.

Any advice on any issues a person who has only used foam pads might come across using wool? Will 3 pads be enough for a sedan? When to change pads? Or best way to clean/dust the pad after each section? Is it more likely for me to damage the clear using wool vs foam? Best way to fully clean the pads when the job is done? Any advice is appreciated.

I'd be surprised if you need a wool pad with the 3401. A lot depends on the compounds you'll be using. Answers: 1 pad per panel. Clean on the fly with a pad rake or wash them along the way the spin them dry with the 3401, but the point is it's a must with wool to keep them clean. Yes wool can damage clear quicker than foam. It's unlikely a 3401 will damage it if you use good technique, keep the polisher moving and watch for raised edges. You'll still want to finish out with foam.

VISITOR
08-06-2016, 01:19 AM
here's a couple of videos to check out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx03VGnjlOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yw8hxHJdmk

LAKings22
08-06-2016, 07:25 PM
I'd be surprised if you need a wool pad with the 3401. A lot depends on the compounds you'll be using. Answers: 1 pad per panel. Clean on the fly with a pad rake or wash them along the way the spin them dry with the 3401, but the point is it's a must with wool to keep them clean. Yes wool can damage clear quicker than foam. It's unlikely a 3401 will damage it if you use good technique, keep the polisher moving and watch for raised edges. You'll still want to finish out with foam.
Thank you. I'll just have to approach this job like the first time I picked up a polisher. Nervous and extra focused [emoji3]

LAKings22
08-06-2016, 07:26 PM
here's a couple of videos to check out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx03VGnjlOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yw8hxHJdmk
The link didn't work for me. What should I search on YouTube to find what was posted?

rmagnus
08-06-2016, 11:05 PM
Thank you. I'll just have to approach this job like the first time I picked up a polisher. Nervous and extra focused [emoji3]

It's been said a million times here, srart with a test spot. Use good technique remember the number of passes you do and start with a less aggressive option to begin with. Sounds like you have good materials. I pretty much stick to Meguires for compound and polishing as I get to know the qualities of different combinations. Besides it's really hard to beat M205.

If the paint is really hard you may need wool I just rarely use wool anymore these days and when I do I usually break out the rotary.

richy
08-06-2016, 11:49 PM
The 3401 works GREAT with wool!! I am a heavy user of the Black wool Tuf Buff pads. They are simply amazing. They cut better than anything and finish down beautifully. The new white Polish Angel wool is very nice too, but more $$. Look at almost any of my Show & Shines to see what they can do. Don't let anyone scare you...it's crap. They rock. Period.

VISITOR
08-06-2016, 11:50 PM
The link didn't work for me. What should I search on YouTube to find what was posted?

copy and paste both of these in the search on YT...

Menzerna Super Heavy Cut Compound 300

MENZERNA 400 - fLEX 3401-