PDA

View Full Version : Cadillac polished aluminum wheels/exhaust tips

greg72982
08-05-2016, 06:35 PM
My girlfriend recently bought a 2015 Cadillac ATS that had just over 6K miles . The car has 18 inch polished aluminum wheels and I found some fairly minor flaws on them. Some could be left on brake dust but there are other things that appear to be stuck on them.

I have various things in my arsenal but the only thing metal focused is Collinite Metal Wax. I tried DG501 on one mark but it didn't seem to do much.

My second question is regarding the exhaust tips. They both have black buildup on the inside. I tried Collinite metal wax with 0000 steel wool and it helped but I don't think it's quite strong enough. Any other recommendations?

I am hoping since the car has pretty low miles and is pretty new I can clean these things up a little. Thanks in advance.

Octopiston
08-05-2016, 06:56 PM
if the polished wheels are stock, they're more than likely clear coated. Check that before trying to polish them.

I've had good luck with p21s multisurface restorer and polishing soap on exhaust tips.

Misterpaul
08-05-2016, 09:08 PM
My ATS 4 exhaust tips were black when I bought the car in December. I sprayed Purple Power on them full strength letting it sit for several minutes. I then used a Daytona Speed brush and did the old in and out until they got clean-ish. I followed that up with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish on a microfiber towel until they were clean.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2267_91608465

I ended with an application of DP, now McKee's Paint Coating and all they have needed since is a gentle cleaning with car shampoo or a rinseless wash.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/paulcr39/Our%20wheels/3A444E09-A33A-4A90-8F82-90E90A3602E6_zpsx30hxgsl.jpg

My wheels are painted so for them they just get wheel cleaner if and when they're filthy. They too have been coated with the above McKee's Paint Coating. Otherwise just whatever wash medium I am using that day. They get an occasional spray wax drying aid wipe down.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/paulcr39/Our%20wheels/IMG_2475_zpsks1nedzd.jpg

StarkIndustries
08-05-2016, 09:21 PM
I had a '14 ATS with the Aluminum polished wheels and the dual exhaust tips. I could never get a straight answer from two different Caddy dealerships where I lived in Ohio as if the wheels were bare or coated. To be safe I used Meguiars Hot Rims For aluminum wheels and had no problems. As for the exhaust tips, I used Eagle One Nevr-Dull wadding, then wiped them down with a lint free paper towel to get the residue off the tips.

greg72982
08-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Thanks. I'm putting together an order now (That VIP special is too good to pass up), but don't know whether to go Never Dull or with the Mother's. Misterpaul may have sold me on the Mother's though.

I couldn't find anything either on whether the wheels are coated or not, not even on the ATS forums.

Octopiston
08-09-2016, 11:02 AM
If they weren't cleared, they'd tarnish and you would know.