PDA

View Full Version : Next step up in cutting power

FA22raptero
08-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Hi All,

I would like some advice and appreciate any help that I can get.

I have a 2015 Civic SI sedan in black. Twice, now, I have 'polished' the car. The first time was after I purchased my porter cable 7242xp polisher, using polishing pads bought from the department store. Obviously, I stopped a quarter of the way through because I was unable to get any cutting power out of it and saw no results. I smartened up, and bought an array of Lake Country thin foam pads in a variety of colours; black, white orange and yellow, all in 5.5" (The yellow one was actually a 6.5" CCS pad because they had none of the flat ones I wanted in stock) along with an appropriate backing plate. I had substantially better results and was very happy. Following the advice of everyone on the forum, I started test spots with the white pads, and ended up moving up to the yellow and orange pads to get the cutting power I needed to see a marked improvement. While I managed to get rid of most of the swirls that existed (tragically I wasn't so fanatic about detailing my car when I first bought it to tell them not to wash it, which is where most of the damage is from), there are still quite a few "deep" swirls that don't seem to want to come out. They are all over the car, and they are not quite like swirl marks, but they don't seem to be full on scratches either (if you believe pictures will help, I'm washing the car tomorrow and bought a nice lights, I can attach some pictures). In addition to this, there are a handful of spots on the car that are quite a bit more damaged, which I would like to try and remove the next time I want to spend an entire day with my car again. This leads me to the question:

Considering that my paint appears to be quite 'hard', what type of pad should I move up to to address the issues I've outlined?

For clarification, I have watched the Autogeek videos on using the PC polisher, and followed the method as best as possible. I also have done tones of reading, and although I'm certain my abilities will improve over time, I'm not convinced that I can't fix these defects because my technique is exceptionally poor. I've outlined 3 possible options, and was wondering what people thought. What would you do to get better results? From least to most aggressive, here are my thoughts:

1. Buy 5.5" thin flat yellow pads. Because they are lighter, I feel that I might see more cutting power out of these as opposed to the 6.5" CC S ones I was using. Because I cheaped out and bought an introductory polisher, I find it struggles to keep up with the bigger pads. One of the things I don't like about this approach is that I find my foam pads combined with the PC 7424xp get 'heavy' with material quite fast, and very quickly lose their cutting power. This means I would have to buy quite a few pads... leading me to think of options 2 and 3

2. Buy a thin LC microfibre cutting pad, like the meguiars 5.5" microfibre cutting pad. The microfibre pad should provide good cut and work quickly enough. Additionaly, I'm hoping that the microfibre material is less prone to holding so much material (yes, I know these pads gum up more and that residue control is more important, but I'm hoping that by cleaning them regularly they are prevented from getting really heavy. The foam ones seem to hold the product so deep that even when cleaning on the fly every time I can't get rid of all the excess)

3. The one I'm leaning to most is the LC 5.5" thin wool pad. This should provide me with abundant cut so that I can get even the worst scratches on my car while still being able to limit my defect removal process to two steps; cutting and polishing.

Anyone have thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks a tonne in advance!

-Nicholas

dcjredline
08-04-2016, 09:52 PM
You need multiple pads of whatever color your using despite the paint or polisher you have. You also must clean them often before changing them out. Usually every section or 2 then change em out every other panel or so.

Paul A.
08-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Pads are only one of a few factors in achieving correction. What compounds and polishes are you using?

I would strongly suggest you get some of the 5.5" thin pro pads though.

Welcome to AG.

FA22raptero
08-04-2016, 10:53 PM
Hi all,

Thanks. I got carried away about pads... totally forgot to mention that I just use Meguiars ultimate polish and ultimate compound as my liquids.

Appreciate the welcome, puckerman. Can you clarify that you are talking about the LC foam thin pro pads? (All the pads i mentioned are thin and are 5.5" hahah) . If not, which pad?

I will order a bunch more of the yellow and orange pads, as you guys recommend. My car is small, so i imagine i should be able to do it in ~5 pads for compound and about the same or fewer for polish?

BudgetPlan1
08-04-2016, 11:10 PM
Megs microfiber cutting discs and their D300 correcting compound. Clean/blow out pad with brush/air after each section.

BigPoppa
08-04-2016, 11:16 PM
Can you keep cleaning off the microfiber and just use 1 pad?

Do you need the compound designed specifically for microfiber? Or will 105 work?

FA22raptero
08-04-2016, 11:28 PM
Megs microfiber cutting discs and their D300 correcting compound. Clean/blow out pad with brush/air after each section.

Thanks for the input. Is there something wring with just using the ultimate compound instead? And like BigPoppa asked, are you changing the pad every panel or two?

BudgetPlan1
08-05-2016, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the input. Is there something wring with just using the ultimate compound instead? And like BigPoppa asked, are you changing the pad every panel or two?

Dunno about using it with Ultimate Compound; this combo (Megs Microfiber Correction System) was designed to work together with DA machines in mind.

In my case, had a black Vette with etched water spots. Wasn't gonna totally get rid of them without sanding by wanted to smooth/minimize them. Wolfgang Uber Compound with Lake Country yellow flat pad...nada. Megs M101 w Lake Country yellow flat pad...not much better. The D300 with the microfiber cutting disks lowered/smoothed the edges of the etched water spots and removed the stains on the interior of the spots

Used 6 pads for whole car, cleaning after each section. The nap on the pads gets matted down quickly but air/brush combo after each section cleaned up nicely to the point you could get a whole panel or two outta them.

FA22raptero
08-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Dunno about using it with Ultimate Compound; this combo (Megs Microfiber Correction System) was designed to work together with DA machines in mind.

In my case, had a black Vette with etched water spots. Wasn't gonna totally get rid of them without sanding by wanted to smooth/minimize them. Wolfgang Uber Compound with Lake Country yellow flat pad...nada. Megs M101 w Lake Country yellow flat pad...not much better. The D300 with the microfiber cutting disks lowered/smoothed the edges of the etched water spots and removed the stains on the interior of the spots

Used 6 pads for whole car, cleaning after each section. The nap on the pads gets matted down quickly but air/brush combo after each section cleaned up nicely to the point you could get a whole panel or two outta them.

Awesome, thanks for the input. I imagine M105 with the microfibre would be overkill, which is why you went with the D300. Awesome, thanks!

Paul A.
08-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Sorry i'm late back to the party. Yes, I was referring to the LC ThinPro foam pads in 5.5" diameter sizes. I have found them to work best on my old aged Porter Cable 7336. For a Civic Si i would use about 4-5 of each color because its black. Otherwise i might get away with 3-4 and even then the idea is to keep them as clean as you can for each panel you work.

I also have a few of the purple foamed wool from the old days and have yet to try a MF cutting disk with my PC. It sounds a bit extreme to even think of using that on Honda paint but you know what you are working with and have described hard correction conditions. MF may get you the cut you need with the megs compound. I have not tried the grey heavy cutting foam Thin Pro pads but prefer wool for heavier cutting as they run a little cooler. I don't like the heat generated by foam at high speeds and pressure! Follow up the compounding with a thin, 5.5" white or black pad to polish out a shiny gloss and bam!

FA22raptero
08-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Sorry i'm late back to the party. Yes, I was referring to the LC ThinPro foam pads in 5.5" diameter sizes. I have found them to work best on my old aged Porter Cable 7336. For a Civic Si i would use about 4-5 of each color because its black. Otherwise i might get away with 3-4 and even then the idea is to keep them as clean as you can for each panel you work.

I also have a few of the purple foamed wool from the old days and have yet to try a MF cutting disk with my PC. It sounds a bit extreme to even think of using that on Honda paint but you know what you are working with and have described hard correction conditions. MF may get you the cut you need with the megs compound. I have not tried the grey heavy cutting foam Thin Pro pads but prefer wool for heavier cutting as they run a little cooler. I don't like the heat generated by foam at high speeds and pressure! Follow up the compounding with a thin, 5.5" white or black pad to polish out a shiny gloss and bam!

Thanks Puckman,

I was wondering about those thinpro pads. I ordered just the regular ones, but was finding that they get heavy quick with my relatively weak 7424xp. I think then that I'll order the thinpro pads as you described, and then get a couple of small wool ones just for the worst sections (My girlfriend was learning manual and backed into another car.... Thank god no dings just some really minor scratches all things considered hahaha).

What I'll do then (I'm ordering some new compound, too):

(in test spots) Try M105 with an orange pad if no -> Grey pad with UC if no -> UC with wool pad if no -> M105 with grey pad (yikes) if no -> M105 with wool pad; hopefully don't get to here

Afterwards, polish up with white pads with M205

Then, wax and enjoy.

Paul A.
08-05-2016, 03:34 PM
The less mass you are spinning and oscillating, the more work it can do with the abrasive on the paint. Regular thick pads load up with spent product and paint and get even heavier to spin effectively. I use a regular pad to apply LSP's (LC Gold) and it feels like a balloon on the machine after working thin pros! Plus i find i can exert more pressure with the thin pro's.

I have to believe you have enough rotational power to correct with a 7424XP given the right combination of pads, products and technique. As i mentioned earlier, i still use my real old PC 7336 and constantly use it on soft paints and occasionally on medium paints to refine a finish. All with either thin pros or wool.

FA22raptero
08-05-2016, 03:43 PM
Perfect, that is motivating. I'll let you know how it goes.

Paul A.
08-05-2016, 03:58 PM
We'd love to hear!

BudgetPlan1
08-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Be careful with the LC purple thin foamed wool pads...can easily go thru clearcoat if not paying close attention or using too aggressive of a compound.