PDA

View Full Version : Just a heads up on the Boss Backing Plates.

Eldorado2k
08-03-2016, 05:45 PM
I was organizing my pads and backing plates yesterday and stumbled upon something interesting, or more like a mistake I never would've thought I'd be making.

I'm not sure how many have noticed, but at least in my experience Griots likes to pre load washers onto their backing plates for you.. I guess I must've lost track because I was pretty surprised to pry out 3 washers from my 6" backing plate. That's right, 3!

No wonder it's was on its way to being stripped.. I've reduced it to 1 washer now in this pic.

Here's both of em.

And to make things even stranger, turns out I had been using my 5" backing plate without a washer at all for who knows how long. Lol.
I'm 100% certain this backing plate came out the box with 1 washer pre installed. I have no idea how it's bare and the 6" plate is loaded with 3...

Just thought I'd mention it for anyone who may be curious to take a closer look at their current hookup. It's also good to clean around the backing plate area including the shroud and thread every once in a while.

Pretty big size difference between the 2 backing plates.. Big pads rule:)

LSNAutoDetailing
08-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I know mine only has one because I installed it.
Not having the washer just means you're not getting good rotation.

Justin at Final Inspection
08-03-2016, 07:03 PM
That is strange. Neither of mine 6in or 5in had them loaded. But I run mine with 2. Noticeable difference over just 1

JeffM
08-03-2016, 07:40 PM
So one is a 5" plate and the other is a what, 8?

The washer was problably stuck to the machine when uyou switrched plates.

Eldorado2k
08-03-2016, 07:58 PM
So one is a 5" plate and the other is a what, 8?

The washer was problably stuck to the machine when uyou switrched plates.

5" and a 6" even though the 6" looks huge.

And yea maybe that somehow happened.. As hard as that would be to do if I tried, it's just my luck. Lol.

David Hayward
08-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Mine came with 2 that I had to install on the 6 inch. When I bought my 5 inch it came with none. So I have to switch them back and fourth which is annoying. Need to go out and get some more for the other plate because they tend to stick into the one they are in.

Eldorado2k
08-03-2016, 09:55 PM
Mine came with 2 that I had to install on the 6 inch. When I bought my 5 inch it came with none. So I have to switch them back and fourth which is annoying. Need to go out and get some more for the other plate because they tend to stick into the one they are in.

Yes, they are near extremely hard to get off once they've been wedged in... The 1st time I attempted to get it out I did it with a dental pick and nearly lost an eye [that's how fast the washer flew out of the backing plate just bearly missing my head. Lol]

I've found the best way to get em out is using the backing plate screw and repeatedly trying to poke them out, but still takes time. And once they're set in it's kinda hard to clearly see how many are really in there.

EPHIOS
12-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Mine came with 2 washer "mods" in the box. I only use 1.