PDA

View Full Version : Any landlords

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
08-03-2016, 04:48 PM
I know this isn't the place for this. I want to vent and see if anyone has any advice. My tenants moved out and left me with a damaged floor. Pictures don't do it justice. I'm assuming the toilet seal is bad. Anyway I haven't spoken to them yet and they never told me that there was an issue in the bathroom. I don't know if I can charge them for neglect of not telling me there was a problem. I have to replace the bathroom and 2 boards into the kitchen

57BORNTORUN
08-03-2016, 05:29 PM
What does your lease agreement say in terms of security deposit? My leases are clear and know (almost by heart) the Florida statutes.

frankprozzoly
08-03-2016, 05:46 PM
It states that they have to notify me immediately if theres damage. You'd think that someone would have noticed something was wrong way before it got to the point that the whole floor got damaged

PaulMys
08-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Yeah, that's not just wear & tear. That has been happening for a long time.

Pretty neglectful on their part for not notifying you.

57BORNTORUN
08-03-2016, 06:08 PM
Read your statutes on the time frame you have to send them a certified letter stating the reason you are keeping all or part of their deposit.You will have to get repair quotes (even if you plan to do it yourself) in case of law suite.

GenesisCoupe
08-03-2016, 06:33 PM
i once took my old tenants to court and got over $3,000 for their damages. Try small claims court if they don't cooperate.

frankprozzoly
08-03-2016, 06:39 PM
I have to the end of the month to notify them.

JeffM
08-03-2016, 07:32 PM
That flooring is the wrong material for a bathroom or kitchen. Any water and it will curl. Maybe they should have said something, but if it was tile there wouldnt be a problem. Your also risking a mold problem by having that flooring in wet areas.

<------contractor

frankprozzoly
08-03-2016, 07:49 PM
I never thought I'd rent it out but that's another story

GSKR
08-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Is that pergo flooring?

wing commander
08-04-2016, 01:18 AM
Keep the deposit and fix it like the contractor recommended. I have tile in all my units and the residents usually buy throw rugs for their feet in front of the TV. Rentals are not for people who stress easy (My wife). I have a almost too relaxed attitude for rentals.Just keep in mind they are buying the buildings for you to retire with a nice income.

frankprozzoly
08-04-2016, 01:20 AM
Is that pergo flooring?

It's engineered hardwood. The top hardwood is only about 1/8" and that's glued to a plywood type. It's made in Germany it's called Australian jarrah.

ducksfan
08-04-2016, 01:21 AM
That flooring is the wrong material for a bathroom or kitchen. Any water and it will curl. Maybe they should have said something, but if it was tile there wouldnt be a problem. Your also risking a mold problem by having that flooring in wet areas.

<------contractor

Yep.That type of floor gets water under it and it's all over quickly. By the time your tenant would have noticed it, it would have been too late to save it. You put the wrong product in the wrong place, thus creating a high maintence situation which is beyond what can reasonably expected of a tenant.

frankprozzoly
08-04-2016, 01:30 AM
Yep.That type of floor gets water under it and it's all over quickly. By the time your tenant would have noticed it, it would have been too late to save it. You put the wrong product in the wrong place, thus creating a high maintence situation which is beyond what can reasonably expected of a tenant.

That didn't happen quickly. That took months to soak up . It's not a laminated floor

ducksfan
08-04-2016, 01:41 AM
I doubt it toolk months before damaged showed. Not to mention, once it became soaked underneath, it's fate was sealed.

You messed up. Fix it and move on.

Just hope if you bill that tenant for it, he doesn't know what he's doing. This could potentially go really bad for you with someone who's knowledgeable