PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble polishing out swirl marks - Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher + Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000

Pages : [1] 2 3

cobalt60
08-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Hi, to start, this is not an auto project. Rather, I've been using automotive clear coat on wood surfaces for final finish. Process is:

1) HVLP spray clear coat (I've used a Nason product and something called TRUE clear)
2) Sand to flat (meaning remove any wood grain, pores, or other non-flat features )
3) Spray coat of same clear coat (mostly to ensure I don't sand through / burn through)
4) Sand starting with 1500 up to 2000 (remove orange peel with 1500, just remove sanding marks with 2000)
5) Apply Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000, polish using Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher at speed setting 6 most of the time
6) Apply Menzerna FF 3000, polish using Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher (different foam pad!), speed setting 4-5

Final surface is beautiful in most lights, and has a nice "wet" look. Only when I put it under very bright LED light will I spot the circular swirlies, left by the orbital (my assumption is this is from step 5). I've tried many times now, and many different techniques, pressure levels, times at Max Speed, etc. but nothing really makes much difference. I've also tried different amounts of the HCC 1000, from a very light amount to almost a glaze (the latter splatters everywhere, I'm sure you all knew that would happen).

The surfaces I'm polishing are not very large - coffee table at most, and I'm happy to experiment as needed to make this perfect.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

SKorch630
08-02-2016, 06:26 PM
The power behind the 3" GG may not be enough to remove the swirls. It's a rather lacking machine for correcting.

cobalt60
08-02-2016, 06:42 PM
Ah shoot - I was kinda wondering if that might be the issue. Any idea how best to test that idea? I guess a test of the same clear coat, same process, but a proven polisher would be good -- I just don't have any friends who do this kind of work, or else I'd be bugging them right now!

Any specific 3" tool that you'd recommend as reliable in this area?

Too bad if that's the case, given the "Remove Swirls" line in thier product headline, but maybe I'm not totally understanding.
Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher, 3 Inch Polisher, 3 inch Dual Action Polisher, 3" buffer (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-orbital-polisher.html)

Rsurfer
08-02-2016, 06:44 PM
Hi, to start, this is not an auto project. Rather, I've been using automotive clear coat on wood surfaces for final finish. Process is:

1) HVLP spray clear coat (I've used a Nason product and something called TRUE clear)
2) Sand to flat (meaning remove any wood grain, pores, or other non-flat features )
3) Spray coat of same clear coat (mostly to ensure I don't sand through / burn through)
4) Sand starting with 1500 up to 2000 (remove orange peel with 1500, just remove sanding marks with 2000)
5) Apply Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000, polish using Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher at speed setting 6 most of the time
6) Apply Menzerna FF 3000, polish using Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher (different foam pad!), speed setting 4-5

Final surface is beautiful in most lights, and has a nice "wet" look. Only when I put it under very bright LED light will I spot the circular swirlies, left by the orbital (my assumption is this is from step 5). I've tried many times now, and many different techniques, pressure levels, times at Max Speed, etc. but nothing really makes much difference. I've also tried different amounts of the HCC 1000, from a very light amount to almost a glaze (the latter splatters everywhere, I'm sure you all knew that would happen).

The surfaces I'm polishing are not very large - coffee table at most, and I'm happy to experiment as needed to make this perfect.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

As mentioned, the 3" lacks power. Get a Griot 6" and a 3.5" backing plate. Now you can run 6" pads on larger surfaces and 4" pads on smaller areas.
I prefer Menzerna polishes, but if on a budget, Meg's Ultimate Compound and Polish will do.
Slow arm movement (1" per second) with 15lbs. of pressure is the key to getting outstanding results.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
08-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Hey OP,

What pads are you using with the machine? The Griots 3" machine definitely lacks power compare to other smaller machines. However; check out this article that Mike Phillips wrote about some new pads that make that machine a bit better:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/103201-new-3-5-thinpro-foam-pads-thin-youre-going-love-these-new-small-foam-pads.html

Since you are using a 3" setup, I am assuming you're not working on a huge surface. My recommendation would possible be a rotary with 3" setup for cutting and then finishing with your current machine.

Rsurfer
08-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Ah shoot - I was kinda wondering if that might be the issue. Any idea how best to test that idea? I guess a test of the same clear coat, same process, but a proven polisher would be good -- I just don't have any friends who do this kind of work, or else I'd be bugging them right now!

Any specific 3" tool that you'd recommend as reliable in this area?If your willing to spend the bucks (3+bills), get the Rupes Mini Polisher.

Too bad if that's the case, given the "Remove Swirls" line in thier product headline, but maybe I'm not totally understanding.
Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher, 3 Inch Polisher, 3 inch Dual Action Polisher, 3" buffer (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-orbital-polisher.html):buffing:

cobalt60
08-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Thanks again:

-- I'll look to see if I can borrow a 6" from somewhere, and test against my setup. If it "just works," then I'll switch machines (a bit disappointing, as I'm not sure what the GG is for, exactly, then, but OK)

BUT... hope I don't seem like I'm ignoring these tips...

I'd like to try those thinner foam pads, based on that article you linked. I've only used the thick ones that came with the GG 3".

To clarify, should I use the ORANGE pad with the HCC 1000, then WHITE with FF 3000?

Thanks again you all!

EDIT: I just went ahead and ordered a six-pack of those thin-pro pads - 1 grey, 2 orange, and 3 white. We'll see - happy to report results if folks care!

Rastaral39
08-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Definitely the polisher, pretty useless really. I actually use Metabo rotary right angle grinder on slowest speed with 1" or 2" pads. Does pretty good.

Rsurfer
08-02-2016, 10:12 PM
GG=Griot Garage

cobalt60
08-03-2016, 01:37 AM
Just some updates if anyone cares to follow:
I tried again tonight with the Griot's Garage 3" and Menzerna HCC 1000. Sanded only up to 1500, but I kept all sanding marks in one direction (in the wood-grain direction) just to be certain that the swirls were NOT sanding marks.

Result #1:

Result #2:

... bad...

Someone recommended trying a 3" foam pad (ones that came with the GG) on just a regular cordless drill, set to fast-speed. That worked maybe a bit better, but actually not 100%. Pics are after a pass of Menzerna FF3000, just to be fair:

and:

Frustrating part is that it looks pretty good in "normal" light. The swirls really just shine when under really bright LEDS:

Anyway, is there anything else I should try? Is there a different combination of compounds that might be more compatible with this tool?

...Or should I just accept the disappointment that the GG tool is not actually going to do what it's advertised it's capable of?

Thanks again!

SKorch630
08-03-2016, 02:16 AM
I'd use the GG 3" as a canoe anchor maybe

cobalt60
08-03-2016, 02:31 AM
I'd use the GG 3" as a canoe anchor maybe

Ha, but daaamn.... I threw away the packaging so I'm sure a return isn't an option.

For those who feel I should try a different orbital - can you recommend a brand and model of 3" tool for me to check out? Much appreciated again, everyone!

So when the Griot's Garage tool is promoted as being able to do this work, is that just "creative marketing" on their part?

cobalt60
08-03-2016, 02:42 AM
Hey OP,

What pads are you using with the machine? The Griots 3" machine definitely lacks power compare to other smaller machines. However; check out this article that Mike Phillips wrote about some new pads that make that machine a bit better:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/103201-new-3-5-thinpro-foam-pads-thin-youre-going-love-these-new-small-foam-pads.html

Since you are using a 3" setup, I am assuming you're not working on a huge surface. My recommendation would possible be a rotary with 3" setup for cutting and then finishing with your current machine.

Thanks again for this note - I ordered these pads and appreciate the help. If anyone cares, I'll post results, since I assume I cannot return the tool. Would be wonderful if it would do what it says it should :(

Setec Astronomy
08-03-2016, 06:10 AM
I'd take a different approach--first of all, the Power Gloss/HCC 1000 is kind of a rocks in a bottle compound--you might try FG400, which will finish out much better. The other thing is to sand up past 2000 so you don't need to use a compound, for headlights I go to 3000 then 5000 with my GG 3", and then you can just go to polish (note that I do the polishing with a PC with 4" pads because of the aforementioned lack of grunt from the GG 3"). But you'll probably be able to work it out with the GG 3" if you sand up to 5K.

Meguiars Unigrit Finishing Discs, paint finishing discs, Meguiars finishing grit discs (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-3in-finishing-discs.html)

MIRKA Abralon Sanding Discs (http://www.autogeek.net/mirka-abralon-sanding-discs.html)

3M Trizact 3 Inch 5000 Grit Foam Disc 30362, sanding discs, 3m spot repair discs (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-5000-grit-foam-discs.html)

Edit: Oops--where is Mike Phillips? I saw so many responses to this thread I didn't realize it was in his sub-forum. I'm sure he'll have the best advice for you. And now that I've had some coffee, I also realize you are going from a compound to a fine polish--back in the day when HCC was the premier Menzerna compound, you would normally follow a compound with an intermediate polish like Intensive Polish or later SIP (which I guess now is MC2400) before progressing to the finish polish.

cobalt60
08-03-2016, 12:45 PM
I'd take a different approach--first of all, the Power Gloss/HCC 1000 is kind of a rocks in a bottle compound--you might try FG400, which will finish out much better. The other thing is to sand up past 2000 so you don't need to use a compound, for headlights I go to 3000 then 5000 with my GG 3", and then you can just go to polish (note that I do the polishing with a PC with 4" pads because of the aforementioned lack of grunt from the GG 3"). But you'll probably be able to work it out with the GG 3" if you sand up to 5K.

Meguiars Unigrit Finishing Discs, paint finishing discs, Meguiars finishing grit discs (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-3in-finishing-discs.html)

MIRKA Abralon Sanding Discs (http://www.autogeek.net/mirka-abralon-sanding-discs.html)

3M Trizact 3 Inch 5000 Grit Foam Disc 30362, sanding discs, 3m spot repair discs (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-5000-grit-foam-discs.html)

Edit: Oops--where is Mike Phillips? I saw so many responses to this thread I didn't realize it was in his sub-forum. I'm sure he'll have the best advice for you. And now that I've had some coffee, I also realize you are going from a compound to a fine polish--back in the day when HCC was the premier Menzerna compound, you would normally follow a compound with an intermediate polish like Intensive Polish or later SIP (which I guess now is MC2400) before progressing to the finish polish.

I'd like to explore this idea, too. I promise I'm not irrationally obsessed with making the GG work, but I just have it here so I'd like to keep trying before I declare it a loss.

One note I'd add, perhaps in response to the discs: I generally try to keep my finishes as thin as possible -- since it's an acoustic (not electric), the sound quality of the final product is affected if the finish is thick, rubbery, or heavy. Think applying a Dynamat to the top. I say this just to ask if those discs might risk sanding through, more so than the compound approach?

Actually, on a broader level, I should say that I'm not committed to the Menzerna products I list AT ALL. I'd be delighted if anything at all worked well, and I'm very happy to experiment at this point.

Another person recommended the 3M Perfect-it system, a three-part product. Any thoughts on that, too?

Seriously, thanks again to you all, for your input. I don't have folks who can give advice from experience otherwise!

EDIT: Regarding the 3M option, is the EX or 3000 line the one to go with?
EX: http://www.autogeek.net/3m-36060.html
or 3000: http://www.autogeek.net/3m-perfect-it-rubbing-compound.html