PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Pads?

Pages : [1] 2

LAKings22
08-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Hello everyone, I need some advice on microfiber cutting pads. I’m going to be detailing a Silver 2001 Mercedes S500 in the next 2 weeks for my nephew. I’ll be using my Flex 3401 and the pads I currently have are the hybrid 5” pads (all available colors). I also have Menzerna FG400, SF4000, HD ADAPT, SPEED and few products from Wolfgang (can’t remember the name). I’ve had great results using the LC hybrid pads with the products mentioned on the few cars I’ve done (Tahoe, Lexus, Lincoln, Toyota, KIA), however the last Black 2013 Mercedes e350 and Silver 2003 BMW 540i I detailed and the end results were not as flawless as the others I’ve done. With another Mercedes on deck, I figured it would be a good time to test out the MF cutting pad vs the foam and see which cuts more.

Which microfiber pads do you guys recommend for the Flex 3401? How many to order? And can you wash these pads the same way you wash any other microfiber towel?

Belair
08-02-2016, 05:33 PM
I've used the Meguiar's MF system - cutting & polishing pads - with their 2 polishes and have gotten good results. Wash the usual way.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Before doing any heavy cutting on the merc, read this article and make sure you check the paint code:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html

LAKings22
08-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Before doing any heavy cutting on the merc, read this article and make sure you check the paint code:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html
Thanks for the info. This might explain why it took me double the time and effort to do my black E350 vs a black Chevy Tahoe that was in worse condition. I ended up flawless finish on the Tahoe and the Mercedes not so much. How can I tell by looking at the paint code, I'd if has this clear?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LAKings22
08-02-2016, 07:18 PM
I've used the Meguiar's MF system - cutting & polishing pads - with their 2 polishes and have gotten good results. Wash the usual way.
Thanks. I don't know if I'll order the kit that comes with the polishes, hope that doesn't matter when it comes to how the pads perform.

dlc95
08-02-2016, 08:27 PM
For the 3401, I'd consider the Buff and Shine pads. The foam backing is taller, which should reduce the "grabby" feel some report with the thinner pads.

The other nice thing about them is that the compound tends to stay on the tips of the looped fibers.

Estroil
08-02-2016, 08:36 PM
D300 Compound works beautifully with MF pads. No dusting and gives a nice finish. I used it with meguiars cutting MF pads.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-02-2016, 08:50 PM
For the 3401, I'd consider the Buff and Shine pads. The foam backing is taller, which should reduce the "grabby" feel some report with the thinner pads.

The other nice thing about them is that the compound tends to stay on the tips of the looped fibers.
I've tried these on the 3401 and I cannot, for the life of me, get as good of results with any MF pad on the 3401 compared to a non-forced DA.

SKorch630
08-02-2016, 10:25 PM
How can I tell by looking at the paint code, I'd if has this clear?

There will be a "C" before the code. For instance, "C650" or "C033" on the VIN plate typically in the door area of the drivers door. Google "Mercedes C650 paint" and you'll see the VIN plate.

haris300
08-02-2016, 11:55 PM
I've never had much luck with microfiber pads on my 3401 but Lake Country's Purple Foamed Wool Pads have proven to have some impressive cut if you want to try those out.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-03-2016, 12:16 AM
I've never had much luck with microfiber pads on my 3401 but Lake Country's Purple Foamed Wool Pads have proven to have some impressive cut if you want to try those out.

Agreed.

I never had any luck using various manufactures MF pads on the 3401. MF pads don't play well with the gear driven characteristics of the FLEX. Wool pads are the way to go as they handle far better on the 3401. Not too mention they will also outcut MF pads. (when used on the 3401)

shadwell
08-03-2016, 01:03 AM
Not the answer you are looking for but on my merc paint I ended up using foamed wool and rotary for defect correction.. altering the compounds from SMAT to DAT depnding on the severity... (Lake country purple wool and Scholl S3 or Juice super C, rotary 1500rpm)

I then finished using DAT on foam with DA... ie light swirls... (Scholl S20+ Scholl blue spider pad, DA speed 5)

Trying to do heavy correction was just taking an age on the DA and the hard paint I was faced with....

I also finished with CarPro reflect on black scholl waffle finishing pads.. rotary 600rpm... very slow passes no load...

The paint s nice to work on though, just a little time consuming...

Zubair
08-03-2016, 04:09 AM
LC Hybrid Blue Foamed Wool on 3401 cuts best.

dlc95
08-03-2016, 06:18 AM
I've tried these on the 3401 and I cannot, for the life of me, get as good of results with any MF pad on the 3401 compared to a non-forced DA.

Thanks for the heads up!

I've read that from others too.

I had used the Lake Country UltraFiber pads when I had a 3401. They seemed to do ok. Very rough ride, but no real time savings over the foam. At least it wasn't as noticeable as the change you get with a random orbital.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-03-2016, 06:37 AM
How can I tell by looking at the paint code, I'd if has this clear?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/76229-ceramiclear-paint-code-location-mercedes-benz.html