PDA

View Full Version : What suggestions for Tire/Wheel cleaning

fast01gt
10-26-2007, 05:38 AM
I am sick of the cheap tire/wheel cleaners I have been using that constantly rust my brake rotors I assume because of their acid content. What suggestions do you guys have for safe cleaners that do a good job.

supercharged
10-26-2007, 06:24 AM
I am sick of the cheap tire/wheel cleaners I have been using that constantly rust my brake rotors I assume because of their acid content. What suggestions do you guys have for safe cleaners that do a good job.
The only one that will not rust your rotors is P21S gel wheel cleaner. It's the safest wheel cleaner out there.
DP is another choice is you are looking for something stronger.

mixxer
10-26-2007, 03:05 PM
surf city is a nice product also!

2KLS1
10-26-2007, 04:25 PM
When you say rust, are you talking about your rotors turning brown? If you are then its not the wheel cleaner. Just spraying water on them will turn them brown. Don't spray your wheels with water or remove them from the car when you're cleaning them. Otherwise you really can't avoid it.

purplenurple
10-26-2007, 06:18 PM
When you say rust, are you talking about your rotors turning brown? If you are then its not the wheel cleaner. Just spraying water on them will turn them brown. Don't spray your wheels with water or remove them from the car when you're cleaning them. Otherwise you really can't avoid it.

True ^
I have always wondered why people say that its the cleaner.
The Surf city cleaner is nice - strong and safe. The DP is also nice, but the squirter sucks. I can only get it to stream, no mist.

klumzypinoy
10-26-2007, 06:24 PM
DP is a nice gel cleaner, and P21S.

ricka
10-26-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of wheel cleaners per se. However, I don't detail for a living either and can't imagine some of the eyesores pros have to deal with.

For my personal use, its merely a QD as I never let the wheels get bad. Keep 'em up and its quite an easy clean up. For grins, I used some 501, clayed, then 105 to seal. Can't believe how smooth and slick the wheels are now. Will top off with AW after the 105 cures.

I'll keep ya posted on if the extra OCD work pays off.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
10-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Surface "rust" can appear on rotors simply after getting wet and sitting for a short period of time...on my car a nice hard brake will take care of it...

I tend to shy away from cleaners that are not safe for ALL WHEELS so acid based cleaners are a no no for me..

I have been using Surf City Beyond Steel and am very pleased with the results.

Check out the Surf City / Amazing Roll Off head to head comparison I did

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-forum/10062-surf-city-beyond-steel-vs-amazing-roll-off-side-side-comparison.html

2001MineralGrayStang
10-26-2007, 11:22 PM
For me power wash rinse, foam gun gold glass/DP Xtreme the rims, EZ Brush on the inside rim, and just a regular wheel brush on the face. Works great but I wash my car every week. When it gets really bad I use DP Wheel cleaner or ARO. Still get rusty rotors even with just regular car wash soap. Unavoidable.