PDA

View Full Version : Hologram/buffer trail help

Pages : [1] 2

Rtrick87
08-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Long time lurker, decided to join and ask a question.

I have a 2013 sport red impala. I was using my torq x DA polisher with scratch x to remove some spider webbing swirls.. And I thought everything looked good so I put some glaze on and sealant and finished up. Went to visit my daughter at the hospital, get into the garage and check out my car and I've got tons of buffer trails on my hood and trunk. I used the orange hex pad from chemical guys with meguiars scratch x, followed by ez glaze and sealant. Wondering what I did wrong. Note, I did try this about a month ago but I felt like I rushed because it was getting late. I didn't see results while using ultimate compound which is why I used scratch x. But the first time ever using a DA polisher last month and I didn't have any holograms or swirls. Any help would be awesome

Billy Baldone
08-01-2016, 08:32 PM
You needed to polish the car after scratch X. Get a quality polish, a proper polishing pad and polish the whole car

GSKR
08-01-2016, 08:33 PM
That's weird maybe scratch x marred it,I never tried that stuff before.Start again with a proper product.

Rtrick87
08-01-2016, 08:34 PM
I have the white hex pad from chemical guys.. Will that do? And I have turtle wax polish. Is that good or what polish would you recommend?

Rsurfer
08-01-2016, 08:36 PM
ScratchX is not a finishing polish. Try using Meg's Ultimate Polish on a polishing pad (L.C. white).

Billy Baldone
08-01-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm not familiar with chemical guys pads, but yes, try ultimate polish or get some Meguires 205. I like HD polish myself. And yes Scratch X is not a good compound. If ultimate compound wasn't working, try a different pad. I use Lake Country

Rtrick87
08-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Rsurfer, I'll pick it up tomorrow. So use that on the white pad from chemical guys? Your telling me that the buffer trail is only because I didn't use a finishing product and it will probably come out fine?! What speed should I run at 1-6 in

WillSports3
08-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Edited because someone else already suggested what I was going to suggest

Next time with ultimate compound, especially with GM's harder clearcoat, try using a yellow pad and ultimate compound and then go over it again after with the white pads with Ultimate Polish or M205, either one are good choices. Speed 6 is probably better with a DA, unless you have a forced rotation one or a Griots Garage one.

GSKR
08-01-2016, 08:42 PM
I have the white hex pad from chemical guys.. Will that do? And I have turtle wax polish. Is that good or what polish would you recommend?
Maybe now you may need a orange hex and menzerna fg400.

Rtrick87
08-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Edited because someone else already suggested what I was going to suggest

Next time with ultimate compound, especially with GM's harder clearcoat, try using a yellow pad and ultimate compound and then go over it again after with the white pads with Ultimate Polish or M205, either one are good choices. Speed 6 is probably better with a DA, unless you have a forced rotation one or a Griots Garage one.

Tomorrow I'll use my wax remover soap and just use ultimate polish with white pad?

WillSports3
08-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Don't really need wax remover soap, the polishing will get rid of any protection you have on the car. Maybe use a rinseless/waterless wash to just clean off the surface before you polish.

Rtrick87
08-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Don't really need wax remover soap, the polishing will get rid of any protection you have on the car. Maybe use a rinseless/waterless wash to just clean off the surface before you polish.

As for the spider webbing scratches. How do I go about getting them out? I've only used my DA polisher twice today and last month.

WillSports3
08-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Use speed 6, a chemical guy yellow pad which I think is the most aggressive foam option they have and ultimate compound, put a bit more pressure than you already are and check for results after. You should be fine with that combination.. although the suggestion for Menzerna FG400 is a good one, that's a real nice compound, just have to make sure you wipe the surface down with IPA twice after as Menzerna tends to be rather oily compared to the others.

glfnaz
08-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Use a polish now with a polishing pad (white). Megs Ultimate polish is a decent one.
No more scratch X, no more Orange pad.

Rtrick87
08-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Use a polish now with a polishing pad (white). Megs Ultimate polish is a decent one.
No more scratch X, no more Orange pad.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p385/rtrick87/Mobile%20Uploads/20160801_205026_zpsbpy62nft.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/rtrick87/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160801_205026_zpsbpy62nft.jpg.html)

Here's the damage I'm referring to. Yes no more scratch x