PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat Failure

QuickCln
08-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Im looking at a BMW with what is obviously a failed clear coat. Looks like a sunburn on the hood, roof and trunk. It's not the worse Ive seen but it is noticeable in comparison to the fenders and doors which have impeccable paint. I tried compounding the hood with ultinate compound and cutting pad. It made it look slightly better. The overall color is okay, but the main problem is lack of shine.

I udnerstand that the 100% fix for this is respray, but is there a product\technique that I can use to make the hood glossy\shiny again? without a respray?

There's always going to be imperfections but could I make it shiny by just polishing? thanks in advance

idriveblackcars
08-01-2016, 02:29 PM
The clear is gone in that area. Clear coats are what makes paint jobs look shinny. If there isn't any clear,there really isn't anything you can do to make it look glossy in that area again.

brettS4
08-01-2016, 02:36 PM
NuFinish!:props:

idriveblackcars
08-01-2016, 02:39 PM
NuFinish!:props:

lol you mean their commercial is real? The once a year car polish.

GSKR
08-01-2016, 02:58 PM
You can't make base coat shine,that's why we have clear coats.maybe sand down with 180 grit and apply some clear in a can.This advice deosnt make sense,but if you want some what of a uniform surface this would be it.

AC in OC
08-01-2016, 03:50 PM
I remember seeing this video a while back and it might apply to your car's paint. Considering the only way to get it looking best is a re-spray, you can try this out and maybe make it look better than it is now, and then repaint in the future when it's in the budget.

https://youtu.be/owIRfEPgs58?t=643