PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated, need some guidance please.

Pages : [1] 2

gofastman
08-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Hi
I'm working on my 2001 Mercedes E55 and it's got absolutely diamond hard paint.
I'm having a hard time making ANY effect on the paint.
I'm working with OPT Hyper compound and polish.
I think I have what I need to try again with the leveling process (wool+rotary+compound)
What should I do after that? Would a OPT MF polish pad on a long throw DA provide enough bite to bring out a wax ready surface? A blue LC hybrid pad hardly did anything.

Sandpit
08-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Hi
I think I have what I need to try again with the leveling process (wool+rotary+compound)
What should I do after that? Would a OPT MF polish pad on a long throw DA provide enough bite to bring out a wax ready surface? A blue LC hybrid pad hardly did anything.
Search for Mike's article/s on Ceramiclear. From memory if your paint code has a U on the end it's ceramiclear, which is a very hard finish.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

gofastman
08-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Paint code is 744. I think this may be before true Ceramiclear, but if I remember right the paint might be advertised as scratch resistant.
I'll look at that post, Thanks.

GSKR
08-01-2016, 03:41 PM
Using wool could make things worse.Start with some micro cutting pads on a da.What color is it?.After the compound phase use a orange foam cutting to diminish any micro marring with the polish .When I worked at Benz we used a lambwool it pretty much destructed any swirls but easier on paint than straight wool.Dont know what kind of pads you have,but I would start with micro.Using wool with a rotary will make the job a long 3 step polishing process before wax.Need to know the color.

Mike lambert
08-01-2016, 04:14 PM
A microfiber pad with Meguiars m100 or m101 will work better for you. Stay away from the wool, you'll just cause more problems for yourself.

custmsprty
08-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Hi

It's on sale and you get a freebie Midnight Sun wax, great deal and perfect for Mercedez paint:

BLACKFIRE compound and finishing polish (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-duo.html)

gofastman
08-01-2016, 06:05 PM
They call it "Brilliant Silver". I was planning on using Micro Surface tufbuff black wool pads, and I just ordered some FG400.

BudgetPlan1
08-01-2016, 06:27 PM
Might wanna try Megs microfiber cutting discs with their D300 correcting compound. Took care of some stuff on a black Vette that WG Uber Compound & Megs 101 w/ yellow LC pads wouldn't touch.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-microfiber-system.html

GSKR
08-01-2016, 06:30 PM
I would of ordered 105 to ensure good correction and bite along with micro cutting pads for that color.Then some 205.Fg400 is a lsp ready compound,but not for any kind of wool work or really heavey swirls.The menzerna 300 compound is a great compound and the benefits are you can order one small bottle.

GSKR
08-01-2016, 06:33 PM
Might wanna try Megs microfiber cutting discs with their D300 correcting compound. Took care of some stuff on a black Vette that WG Uber Compound & Megs 101 w/ yellow LC pads wouldn't touch.
D300 is also a great effective product.

gofastman
08-01-2016, 06:43 PM
I'd prefer to stay away from Meguiars stuff if practical. Many reasons, nothing worth bringing up here.
I thought FG400 was above or at least equal to 105 in terms of cut.
Perhaps I'll see if they can change the order to SHC-300 compound

GSKR
08-01-2016, 06:50 PM
I think they no longer carry scholls,I could be wrong though.Trying to minimize the spending order some micro pads along with the fg and see where that gets you.Keep your passes slow and steady.

gofastman
08-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Menzerna Super Heavy Cut 300 is what I meant

GSKR
08-01-2016, 07:13 PM
That's a nice compound deosnt scour the finish.How ever you will need a follow up polish after the 300.Whats your plan of attack as far as machine and pads besides the wool.

gofastman
08-01-2016, 08:04 PM
That was the original question I guess.
What I was leaning towards was an OPT MF polishing pad, hyper polish, and a long throw DA