PDA

View Full Version : How does Optimum Hyper Polish compare to Menzerna PO85RD?

Harry Da Hamster
07-31-2016, 03:56 PM
I posted this on the Optimum forum but it's a ghost town there so i figured i'd post here too. I've mostly relied on Menzerna for most everything while only changing pads to tailor to the different types of paint and it's worked out very well for me. I recently purchased two cars and i want to coat them. I was intrigued by how easy the Optimum process is from polish to coat. A major plus is how i can go from Hyper polish straight to Gloss Coat with only a simple wipe with a damp microfiber cloth lightly spritzed in ONR. I'm dealing with ultra soft black paint and hard white paint here so minimizing any steps between polish and coat on the black paint would be best for minimizing light scratching. With that said, how does Optimum Hyper Polish compare to a fine finishing polish like Menzerna PO85RD? Will it finish down fine enough for soft black paint? Thank you.

spazzz
07-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Menzerna P085rd should finish down just fine but you will be left going over it numerous times with OPT paint prep to wipe all the oils off.

Setec Astronomy
07-31-2016, 06:32 PM
With that said, how does Optimum Hyper Polish compare to a fine finishing polish like Menzerna PO85RD? Will it finish down fine enough for soft black paint?

Depending what day of the week it is, OPT will tell you that all of their polishes (both crème and spray) only require that some minimal prep that you mentioned before going to a coating, and OPT does make a crème finishing polish (Optimum Finish). I don't really have enough back-to-back experience with Hyper Polish vs. PO85RD or SF4500 or SF3800 or whatever it is now, but it seems most people don't rate the Optimum polishes as highly as Menz, although I like the OPT polishes, personally.

Harry Da Hamster
08-01-2016, 12:36 AM
Menzerna P085rd should finish down just fine but you will be left going over it numerous times with OPT paint prep to wipe all the oils off.

I agree that the oiliness of Menzerna polishes don't favor coatings but i've never had any problems. With traditional waxes and sealants, I go from polish straight to LSP with no problem. And with coatings, Prep-All makes quick work of the polishing oils and leaves the surface squeaky clean.

Depending what day of the week it is, OPT will tell you that all of their polishes (both crème and spray) only require that some minimal prep that you mentioned before going to a coating, and OPT does make a crème finishing polish (Optimum Finish). I don't really have enough back-to-back experience with Hyper Polish vs. PO85RD or SF4500 or SF3800 or whatever it is now, but it seems most people don't rate the Optimum polishes as highly as Menz, although I like the OPT polishes, personally.
I didn't realize OPT had other polishes. Maybe I'll call them Monday and get their opinion on which product I should use.

Crispy
08-06-2016, 02:34 PM
Optimum Polishes are "compatible" with their coatings. A wipe with ISAP 10% will provide good surface for the Gloss Coat to bond properly. Just finished polishing with Menzerna 3800 Super Fine Polish and applied Collenite 845 for a contrast test (half the car is Gloss Coat). I suspect unoticeable differences in looks, so comes down to ease of use/durability.
I used Optimum Polish II on the other half and cleaned with Eraser before Gloss Coat so will be intersting to see.

Crispy
08-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Update on the comparison. Just finished doing my mid-summer polishing. I used Menzerna 3800 with dark grey pad on DA. Followed up with Collenite 845 as LSP. Very happy with the results on my DD. While polishing I found a few spots that need more correction, but that is always the way. I plan on doing a coating application before the winter so will see how it works. Optimum Gloss Coat wiill be the coating.8and

The Guz
08-09-2016, 10:31 PM
Update on the comparison. Just finished doing my mid-summer polishing. I used Menzerna 3800 with dark grey pad on DA. Followed up with Collenite 845 as LSP. Very happy with the results on my DD. While polishing I found a few spots that need more correction, but that is always the way. I plan on doing a coating application before the winter so will see how it works. Optimum Gloss Coat wiill be the coating.8and

Get yourself some optimum paint prep to use instead of eraser. Works even better that eraser.