PDA

View Full Version : When to apply paint coating?

MIsnowman
07-31-2016, 08:06 AM
I am considering trying a paint coating on my truck (not sure which one yet) and my biggest concern is how well coatings handle road salt and other ice melting chemicals used on the winter roads. Michigan tends to pour the salt on when the snow flakes start flying and I travel a lot of miles in these conditions for snowmobiling trips. So my question is, should I apply the coating this fall or would I be better off waiting until next spring? I realize that most coatings claim to provide protection for up to two years, but I'm thinking the winter road conditions around me would have to shorten that. I have had very good results using Collinite products for winter protection. Would that help with a coating too?

GSKR
07-31-2016, 08:32 AM
Cq uk x 2 around the whole truck and all the jambs and filler cap .

FUNX650
07-31-2016, 09:33 AM
Why wait 'til Spring?
Applying what many consider to be
the "most protective" LSPs...for the
harshness of all things that are Winter
related...may prove to be as, or more,
beneficial as the Collinite products.

Bob

vobro
07-31-2016, 09:39 AM
Two of the last 3 winters here have been brutal, coatings are the way to go. Easier to clean and hold up better, I would do it now. The key is the prep,follow instructions and set aside enough time so it's not rushed. My Durango has CQUK since 4/14 and my wife's car has GlossCoat since 5/15 and both have held up great. I know it's easy to let a car go awhile without washing when it's brutally cold out and you may notice slower sheeting on the lower panels but that doesn't mean the coating is gone. I'll use Reset when I can and the strong sheeting comes back, yes even with coatings the surface can load up with junk but it's still protecting.

spazzz
07-31-2016, 10:29 AM
I used Gloss Coat as my first on my black GM.
After using opti-lens for a couple years I knew it would be easy.
I used 845 during winter for the last 3 years and it worked great.

Apply your coating now so you don't feel rushed during the process.
This way you will get a feel how the coating acts during different conditions.
I will be using Salt-away again as a pre rinse after the salt trucks do their thing. A D114 rinseless with opti-seal as a drying aid should be a win win.

MIsnowman
07-31-2016, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. It looks like it's pretty unanimous that I should do the coating before winter, so that's what I'll do. What do you think about also coating the sled trailer? It's a 7'X30' enclosed trailer. It is stored inside year round and only used in the winter, so it never sees summer sun. I keep it waxed and wash it after every trip, but the front v nose seems to loose the wax protection rather quickly from all the salt spray on the highway. Would a coating help here at all. If I was to coat it I am thinking McKees because it is reasonably priced and the trailer is huge.