PDA

View Full Version : Product dried on pads - bear to remove now

Whitewater25
07-31-2016, 07:59 AM
I let some foam pads dry with product on them and now it's not coming out. How does everyone else remove it when you aren't able to clean them right away.

Lesson learned,I won't do it again but would like to save these pads if possible. The products that won't come out are McKees 360 & a Teflon polish not from AG.

Jeremy1976
07-31-2016, 08:58 AM
If you can't get to them right away saturate them with a pad cleaner and let them sit until you can get to cleaning them. That will help breakdown the product. I invested in a Grit Guard pad washer and couldn't imagine life without it now. You can clean pads on the fly and makes cleaning much easier.

With the caked on stuff you have now try agitating them with a brush and some pad cleaner or APC.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LSNAutoDetailing
07-31-2016, 09:18 AM
Let them soak in a bucket with Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder, foam pad cleaner, lake country pad cleaner, wool pad cleaner, citrus foam pad cleaner, polishing pad cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/snappytool.html) for about 24 hours
Remove from bucket, spray with McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Cleaner For your dual action or rotary polisher. (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-pad-cleaner.html)
Use pad cleaning brush and clean the pad
Hose off - let dry.
Extra added step, after all the above, throw them in the wash with your MF towels, do not dry in them in the dryer.

ShaneB
07-31-2016, 10:42 AM
I've let pads sit for a week or more before and just put them in a bucket with this stuff for 12-24 hours.
BLACKFIRE Advanced Pad Cleaner & Restorer (http://www.autogeekmobile.net/blackfire-pad-cleaner.html)

Quick brush and rinse and they always come out like new. I actually just cleaned some buff n shine flat black pads that has been used for applying sealant that were sitting for weeks (oops) and they cleaned up and look like new after a 24 hour soak

Whitewater25
07-31-2016, 10:55 AM
I did soak them overnight with the snappy clean. I have the 3000D pad washer that I used after the soak. It seemed to help but I guess I expected more. The Teflon product did not want to come out,even with spayed on pad cleaner & using the orange pad brush. I may just chuck them.
They say you learn from your mistakes,today I learned a lot!

Seeker
07-31-2016, 11:46 AM
Try to use the same carrier/solvent in that Teflon polish.
I believe it could be kerosene, try to obtain the MSDS.
Assuming its kerosene, let your pad soak with it then clean it with soap. Another option (I dont believe in its effectiveness), is to use fabric softener.

ducksfan
07-31-2016, 04:11 PM
Have you tried one of the stronger wheel cleaners? It might be worth the effort before you trash them.

Eldorado2k
07-31-2016, 04:50 PM
McKee's Foam Pad Cleaner. Spray onto the caked dry pads and let sit for 10+ min. then spray with a strong stream of water from the hoze nozzle. I do it like that all the time and it's never failed to get them clean.

VAS
07-31-2016, 05:00 PM
I will let mine soak in what ever all purpose cleaner is closest to me at the time, and then use my pressure washer from like 24"+ away on the stuff that's real bad.

Whitewater25
07-31-2016, 08:25 PM
I have the XMT pad cleaner,I would think the McKees is the same or at least close. I may try the pressure washer as a last resort.

scuff
07-31-2016, 11:16 PM
Household ammonia works well, but it may attack the Velcro adhesive if allowed to soak too long. That's an easy fix, though.

shagnat
07-31-2016, 11:21 PM
This is great information. Got a couple of pads in the same condition!!

DetailTrail
08-01-2016, 01:22 AM
You have two sealants. You let cure. I would order more pads

sent from me

Dereksdtail
08-01-2016, 04:43 AM
Dawn