PDA

View Full Version : Which Accessories to Use? Is this the right method?

jmillar82
07-31-2016, 04:59 AM
Hi guys,

I get my new Mercedes in the next 2 weeks and want to get my cleaning gear ready. Currently I have an old Mazda which I never clean, but I want to get in the habit of cleaning my new car properly!!

I plan to buy a high pressure cleaner like this one, with the foam sprayer attachment - Gerni High Pressure Cleaner - 1,520PSI (https://www.bunnings.com.au/gerni-1-4kw-corded-classic-high-pressure-cleaner_p6270778) I assume this is ok?

I don't want to spend time applying a coating or waxing it myself, but might look at getting a coating put on it when I buy it. I plan to enquire about a Cquartz Finest coating this week...

Some questions:
1) What product should I use for the foam wash? I'm based in Australia so want something I can buy locally...
2) What product should I use for a wheel cleaner?
3) In terms of the process, will this suffice? I will aim to do it every weekend. I'm quite time poor so really want a quick, easy method.
- Rinse car + wheels with pressure cleaner
- Spray wheel cleaner on wheels, and spray car with foam gun
- Use leaf blower to dry car
4) How do I keep the leather interior clean?

Any help is appreciated!!

Cheers

jmillar82
08-01-2016, 07:10 AM
BUMP :)

I spoke to a professional detailer today and got quoted for cquartz Finest. It's quite expensive so I'm going to do some research to see if it's worth spending the money.

If anyone has thoughts on this, feel free to let me know!!

Cheers

Mike Phillips
08-02-2016, 07:54 AM
Hi guys,

I get my new Mercedes in the next 2 weeks and want to get my cleaning gear ready. Currently I have an old Mazda which I never clean, but I want to get in the habit of cleaning my new car properly!!

First question: Does your Mercedes have the Ceramiclear finish?

Read my articles below and when the car arrives - FIRST THING - look for the paint code and find out if the car has the Ceramiclear finish. If it does you want to educate yourself on how to take care of it so it's not destroyed. We can help with that.

Ceramiclear Paint Code Location on Mercedes-Benz (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/76229-ceramiclear-paint-code-location-mercedes-benz.html)

Read the first post in this thread too...

Ceramiclear Paints - Be Careful (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/D8182.jpg

:)

jmillar82
08-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Hi guys,

I really don't think I can justify spending $1,000 on a Cquartz Finest coating... Is there some sort of wax/polish which only needs to be applied a few times a year, which is a quick 5 minute job? This might be an alternative for me?

I don't need to keep my car in show condition all year round - I just want to keep it looking respectable with as little effort as possible! Im the MAN

jmillar82
08-02-2016, 07:58 AM
Hi Mike,

Will check this and report back to you once I get the car in 2 weeks.

Your advice on a straightforward, cost effective method of keeping my car looking respectable (doesn't have to be up to your standards!) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mike Phillips
08-02-2016, 08:36 AM
Hi Mike,

Will check this and report back to you once I get the car in 2 weeks.

Your advice on a straightforward, cost effective method of keeping my car looking respectable (doesn't have to be up to your standards!) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

You're asking me how I wash my wife's Mercedes-Benz, which I washed this weekend and shared pictures of my simple method on my Facebook page.

And I use the same method on my truck.

Hang tight as I'm writing a new article.

:)

Coopers ST
08-02-2016, 08:47 AM
What you want doesn't exist. Either don't worry about washing this car either, spend the money on a coating, or spend a weekend a few times a year to properly wash and seal the car.

I also wouldn't spend my money on a pressure washer if all you are going to do is foam and rinse. You still need two buckets, wash mitt, and more soap even with a foaming pressure washer.

FreshRides
08-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Look up CarPro HydrO2.

It's a spray sealant that literally requires not much of your time. Basically spray on and rinse off. YouTube could educate you on how it works.

Basically spray on your rinsed surface while the water is still sitting on your vehicle. Rinse again. Bam. Sealed.

FreshRides
08-02-2016, 09:56 AM
I'm not telling you that it's the best product out there. Or that it's 100% effective, but for your sake it might be a good thing.

shagnat
08-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Look up CarPro HydrO2.

It's a spray sealant that literally requires not much of your time. Basically spray on and rinse off. YouTube could educate you on how it works.

Basically spray on your rinsed surface while the water is still sitting on your vehicle. Rinse again. Bam. Sealed.

I'll vote for this unless you want to be more diligent about the time and effort you're going to put into your new car.

CanyonCarver
08-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Agreed with all above.

Coatings, while most effective, limit your choices for aftercare quite a bit. Sealants are much more user friendly and play with others nicely.

What you really might want to invest in, I wish I would have within first week of new car, is one of the top paint protection FILMS to prevent rock/debris chips

I am in the camp of - even a decent electric power washer, properly used, is a great investment to car care.

shagnat
08-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Agree^^^

jmillar82
08-04-2016, 05:36 AM
Wow guys, the CarPro HydrO2 product sounds right down my alley!!!

So would this be the process:
Once every 1-2 weeks:
- Spray wheel cleaner on wheels, and spray car with foam cannon (on dry car - don't rinse first)
- Use wheel brush to clean wheels
- Two bucket method, then pressure cleaner rinse again
- Use leaf blower to dry car

And then use CarPro HydrO2 from time to time.. How often should I use it? Does this protect the car and also give it a nice shine? (white car) I'm guessing I should do this when I first get my car?

In terms of products, it seems like these are recommended:
- Wheels - Sonax Full effect
- Car Shampoo - Meguiars Shampoos/Chemtech CT18/Armor All Heavy Duty Wash
- Leather seats and dash - Lexol Leather Conditioner.

With regards to the leather, I should mention that my car has ARTICO leather, not real leather. Should I use some sort of product to protect it, or not worry about it?

Also, can I just use the same car shampoo (for eg CT18) for the foam cannon and also the two bucket method?

Cheers

Mike Phillips
08-04-2016, 07:08 AM
Hang tight as I'm writing a new article.

Here you go...

How to wash a coated car - The Gentle Approach for Washing a Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/103632-how-wash-coated-car-gentle-approach-washing-car-mike-phillips.html)

:xyxthumbs:

jmillar82
08-06-2016, 05:23 AM
Thanks Mike - great guide!!

My shopping list is as follows:

Two buckets + Grit guard
Microfibre mitten
Wheel cleaner - the brushes seem a bit harsh so I'm wondering whether I should get a microfibre one instead?
Sonax full effect wheel cleaner
Chemtech CT-18

I'm also going to buy the CarPro Hydro2 and put that on when I get the car, and regularly thereafter. I'm guessing it will last 3-6 months? And then weekly I'll use the foam cannon then 2 bucket method. Some final questions:

1) Is it okay to use a leaf blower to dry the car?
2) Should I use a leather conditioner? My car has ARTICO (man-made) leather and also seat warmers so is it okay to use a conditioner?
3) Today I saw tyre shine sprays ranging from $4/can to $24/can. Are all tyre shines created equal or is there really that much of a difference between them in quality?

Cheers