PDA

View Full Version : Question about Opti-Lens

RangerDetails
07-29-2016, 08:52 AM
I have been doing a lot of headlights restoration.

Now, I always used a sealant after the job for protection but now I'm thinking about using Opti-Lens for a longer protection.
My question is, how many application will I have with the 10CC syringe? Because it is very expensive.
I was thinking of upping my prices also.

Any thoughts on Opti-Lens?

Setec Astronomy
07-29-2016, 09:00 AM
I think probably you can get 10 sets of headlights out of a syringe (one coat), perhaps more. I've been fairly disappointed in the results, even using multiple coats. I think you're only likely to get a year (outside 24/7) before you notice yellowing, and you'll want to redo them by 2 years.

Now, of course, that's you and me. If you had a customer who had completely hazed-over lights, they might not even notice the yellowing I'm talking about after 2 years.

RangerDetails
07-29-2016, 09:09 AM
I think probably you can get 10 sets of headlights out of a syringe (one coat), perhaps more. I've been fairly disappointed in the results, even using multiple coats. I think you're only likely to get a year (outside 24/7) before you notice yellowing, and you'll want to redo them by 2 years.

Now, of course, that's you and me. If you had a customer who had completely hazed-over lights, they might not even notice the yellowing I'm talking about after 2 years.

Wow, 10 sets is actually not that bad.

See, I guarantee my work for a year, so it needs to last at least a year. I barely get a year with my sealant so I was looking for something a little better to ensure that I will not have to redo any work on them within a year.

Also, how to you apply it? directly from the syringe? On a MF pad?

Setec Astronomy
07-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Wow, 10 sets is actually not that bad.

This question has been asked a lot, I don't really keep track because I'm not doing this as a business, and I have done things like clear license plate covers, etc., so maybe search or someone else will give a number.

Also, how to you apply it? directly from the syringe? On a MF pad?

I use the "Anthony Orosco" method, I use a little rectangle of Scott blue shop (paper) towel. Usually I fold it over into a square. The good thing about this is if it gets dirty you just throw it out, and it absorbs very little product, so you're not wasting much.

Mantilgh
07-29-2016, 05:04 PM
I tried to link my post #1383 in the thread below.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/19021-headlight-restoration-new-uv-sealant-idea-139.html#post1398379

One other thing I did not mention in that post is that with Opti-Lens the headlights almost seem to clean themselves.

Rsurfer
07-29-2016, 05:14 PM

Like you, I got better results with Dlux on my headlights.

BigPoppa
08-20-2016, 11:04 PM
Do you put wax or a sealant over the Opti Lens once it has had time to cure?

spazzz
08-20-2016, 11:49 PM
Do you put wax or a sealant over the Opti Lens once it has had time to cure?

You can but it is not necessary.

I have, just because I am doing the whole car.
Right now I use Opti-seal as a drying aid and hit the lights when I do that.
I have done stand alone applications of Opti-seal and will do the lights also.

Your choice

BigPoppa
08-23-2016, 02:31 AM
I was thinking of doing clients' cars, and wanting to maximize timespan before problems arise. If a little layer of Opti Seal extends the life of the lens, so be it.

How long after applying Opti Lens would I need to wait?