PDA

View Full Version : Safe polishing timeline

caudleej
07-28-2016, 09:42 PM
Hello all,

I have been thinking about my detailing routine on my personal vehicle. I use spray waxes weekly, a carnauba at least once per month sometimes twice, and a sealant once every two to months or so. This is throughout the year. I have been breaking out the DA once per year and doing a polish with a medium polishing pad and a polish like M205 or the like after a clay bar. I would like to start doing a clay bar and polish every 6 months. I do not want to have a regimen that yields my clear coat below the safe range as far as mills go over the course of several years.

I will give some details and history of the paintwork that will hopefully help with ideas/comments.

The paint color is a 3 stage tri-coat: it is platinum white metallic

The most aggressive the paint has ever been corrected is with a DA, a Meguiar's DA microfiber cutting disc and M205, followed with M205 and a polishing pad.

Since then I have hit it once with a polishing pad and M205.

I would like to go to twice per year on the polishing because the polish to me makes the shine and level of the paint back to a10. It also removes some minor micro marring that exists here and there.

My plan is to start using HD speed and a medium polishing pad. Speed seems to be a good product for this type of application.

Thanks in advance.

Mantilgh
07-28-2016, 10:22 PM
I would think that you would be fine with just a light polishing every six months, but the more you do it the more CC you'll remove, although with a polish it shouldn't be much.

Do you feel your paint is getting more contaminates built up on than you like in the one year time frame?

It sounds like you have a good regime for protection, but what is your wash technique?

White shouldn't show swirls too bad unless you're inspecting under parking lot lights at night. I just try to resist the urge to look under certain circumstances, and ignore them. They can be very unforgiving. :(

I would think something like HD Speed and a medium polishing pad would be fine.

dlc95
07-28-2016, 11:41 PM
You might be able to get away with a finishing pad with M205, or use a finishing pad with Ultimate Polish. The grey, and blue Lake Country CCS are really nice with either.

GSKR
07-29-2016, 06:09 AM
You will be fine with speed and other light cleaners.Its the full blast screaming compound stages that may inflict damage overtime.And if you live in a region with strong sun intensity I would keep the tops of the car at a minimum with machine work.

caudleej
07-30-2016, 08:44 PM
I usually wash every one to two weeks with a two bucket method, and a wool wash mitt. I'm not really seeing swirls just random scratches and yes it is under parking lot lights. I have a hard time finding the scratches at home but as soon as I go to a lit parking lot they will show.

caudleej
07-30-2016, 08:46 PM
I should add that I'm fine with the RIDS here and there. It's a daily driver and I know they happen it's not going to be perfect. I may try a clay bar and just a pure polish and see where that gets me. If I can avoid any abrasion that is all the better.

Hoytman
07-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Why not just use your DA more often combined with AIO/cleaner waxes like HD Speed, Meg's A12, McKee's 37 360, Optimum Poli-seal (awesome too), Mothers cleaner wax, etc. Use those with a soft finishing or sealant pad more often and use the best wash regimen as often as necessary too. That should do the trick. Don't underestimate the cut (especially over the lifetime of a factory paint job with a polishing pad) that M205 can have. Mike says all the time people don't use cleaner wax/AIO's often enough. Plus, they'll fill a bit too making those swirls appear to disappear. If they look gone, but in fact are not, then you're saving precious paint thickness while getting the look you desire. A win, win!! :)

Hoytman
07-30-2016, 09:10 PM
I should add that I'm fine with the RIDS here and there. It's a daily driver and I know they happen it's not going to be perfect. I may try a clay bar and just a pure polish and see where that gets me. If I can avoid any abrasion that is all the better.

Fine clay bar, M7 pure polish (no abrasives to fill what you're seeing), then wax or seal...should work just fine too.