PDA

View Full Version : Polishing pads

aztec1987
07-28-2016, 04:07 PM
I recently inherit a 2006 Mustang GT in which the color is Black and man have to say that color is high maintenance. I recently been doing 2 bucket washes, waffle towel drying, microfiber towels, and etc. Came to notice that the pain does tend to have some etching of bird droppings that were sitting in the paint I guess for a while. I saw that the paint did have swirl marks in which it did kinda got on my nerves. I got a PC 7424 XP, Orange Hex logic pad (V36), White Hex logic pad (V38), and followed up with glazes and sealants. When I was applying the cutting compound and polish pads I started to spread the with speed setting 1 (2X2 work area at a time), then bump the speed up to 5 and did about 5 passes. Came to notice that the swirl marks got out with 1 pass, polished out 1 pass, but when I saw the pads the had some Black transferred to it. My question is did I go through the clear coat? Is it pain been knocked off? I did an inspection and to be honest there is burnt marks, holograms, or any sign or damaged paint. Can anyone inform me if this is normal?

brettS4
07-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Did you polish the B pillars with the same pad? You'll see some black on your pads from that (at least I do with mine).

aztec1987
07-28-2016, 05:23 PM
I just polished the body where the is paint (hood, top, trunk, sides, and bumpers).

ski2
07-28-2016, 05:52 PM
Did you decontaminate (IronX and Clay) the paint before polishing? Could be you're bringing up imbedded dirt from the paint.

BTW--You can't do an entire car with one pad for compounding and one for polishing. Here's an article by Mike Phillips: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

aztec1987
07-28-2016, 08:04 PM
To be honest what I do is clay it, haven't use Iron X on the paint. I been wanting to use DrBeasley PH Balancer after claying and then start the process. I do pass the clay bar when I am preparing it for a paint correction and as well for polish. The only thing that I get confused or ask myself is why most detailers use a clay bar while they are washing the car (while the car is soap) in which from some say that using a clay bar with water brings down the life of the clay bar in which I tend to use a spray lubrication to clay my car.

Setec Astronomy
07-28-2016, 08:08 PM
Sounds like it is probably dirt from the paint, as ski2 noted.

aztec1987
07-29-2016, 12:26 PM
That is a relief hahaha, thought it was paint coming off.

idriveblackcars
07-29-2016, 02:32 PM
It's not paint coming off,but I bet you did hit some black trim somewhere. It looks faded black vs dirt,which could look like various dark colors.

And if you are seeing dirt or contaminants on the pad then most like the results won't be good. If your are truly removing swirls I doubt it's dirt,most likely trim residue.

aztec1987
07-30-2016, 11:15 AM
To be honest the paint correction was flawless, even my friend told me it looked good. I might a hit the weather strip in the roof of the car or side trimming in the doors.