PDA

View Full Version : Touching Up Nicked/Partial Rock Chips

Potsnu
07-27-2016, 08:01 AM
I've searched and searched, haven't quite found a thread that addresses this situation.

I know how to touch up a normal rock chip, one that has gone down to the bare metal. However, sometimes you have rock chips that simply nicked the paint partially. How to fix these ones?

These rock chips have slightly raise edges, I presume I should gently sand it down to surface level. These repairs are challenging because I can't see any way I can touch it up and level the paint after since it hasn't gone deep enough into the surface of the metal.

Any tips would be great!

If it helps, I use the Dr. Color Chip. I've had great results, but these type of rock chips are very challenging with this kit. I can't level the chip unless I sand it down and I'm not sure if that's the right approach.

Thanks!

andy0902
07-27-2016, 11:40 AM
I have used a very similar product from Chipex on similar rock chips with good results. Good, not perfect. It reduces the visibility of the defect but does not remove it. The key is to be very careful in the blending/activating stage. I have not sanded any of them and have probably repaired 20 or so spots on the front bumper with the kit. On the hood I used traditional touch up paint, fill the defect slowly with many coats, then wet sand followed by compound/polish.

atgonzales
07-27-2016, 12:11 PM
I have used Dr color chip and I have Mike's 3 foot rule, if looks good three feet away after you work on the spot leave it anything more more than likely requires a paint job by a pro

Potsnu
07-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Here is a photo of the rock chip:

Based on the advice, it seems like I should just fill it with paint and slowly remove it with Dr. Color Chip blending solution.

I've had great results with the product, just not when the rock chip is so faint and barely scratched the surface. If it wasn't metal I would leave these rock chips alone. But I tend to get them on the fender and hood since the impact is the least severe.

atgonzales
07-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Take a look below one rock chip on my daily

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99340

Potsnu
08-26-2016, 03:25 PM
Take a look below one rock chip on my daily

Is There a Doctor in Da House (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99340)

I find it really easy repairing larger rock chips. My issue is I don't know what to do with the chips that barely nick the paint but still exposes the metal.

For example, if this was on my bumper I would leave this one alone. But since this is on metal, I have no choice to touch it up but it's barely removed the paint.

Know what I mean?